What's your favorite cheese?

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
Digit

What's your favorite cheese?

Post by Digit »

2014 article on Time about how mozzarella was the most popular in America according to one study, to the chagrin of the author of that piece.

For me, if it's going in something like a sub sandwich, I ask for pepper jack. As for eating straight cheese, like a stick of it, I go for Colby jack.

I would've made this a survey question, but there are so many types of cheese...
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Zedability

Re: What's your favorite cheese?

Post by Zedability »

I love brie, chevre, bleu, roquefort, and feta. On sandwiches, havarti, pepperjack, and provolone are my favorites.

The fact that pregnancy limits my cheese options is possibly my least favorite thing about pregnancy.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Zedability wrote:I love brie, chevre, bleu, roquefort, and feta. On sandwiches, havarti, pepperjack, and provolone are my favorites.

The fact that pregnancy limits my cheese options is possibly my least favorite thing about pregnancy.
double-check your local soft cheese--if you're in an American grocery store, it's probably still pasteurized (and safe for pregnant women to eat).
Digit

Post by Digit »

Gouda advice
yayfulness
Board Writer

Post by yayfulness »

Parmesan (the real kind), no question, if we're talking about cheese to eat plain. I'm not sure what my top pick for sandwiches would be.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

It's just hard because so many websites are like, "Never ever under any circumstances," and I'm a very risk-adverse person.

Anyways I'm derailing your cheese thread.
Digit

Post by Digit »

yayfulness wrote:Parmesan (the real kind)
I think the only kind I've ever had was the commercial powder that comes out of a shaker. I'm not really a cheese connoisseur.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

Real Parmesan is soooooooooooooooooo much better though
Shrinky Dink

Post by Shrinky Dink »

Zedability wrote:It's just hard because so many websites are like, "Never ever under any circumstances," and I'm a very risk-adverse person.

Anyways I'm derailing your cheese thread.
I'm not even pregnant but I enjoy reading the Pregnant Chicken Blog which happens to have a list of things that may or may not actually be harmful. Either way, their post on cheese agrees with Whistler and you'll most likely find pasteurized cheese at the grocery store.
*Insert Evil Laughter Here*
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

but yes, all the pregnancy books make it seem like you'll kill your child if you so much as eat lunchmeat without microwaving it. So if it helps lessen your anxiety, it's a small thing to not eat soft cheese for 9 months.

my favorite cheeses: gouda, mozzarella (no shame!), cheddar, goat cheese

I think I dislike blue cheese, despite trying it many times and hoping to like it.

Harmon's sells a caramel cheese that tastes really interesting.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Hoo boy. Cheese is one of the great pleasures of life. Here's a few of my preferences:

Melted on a (medium-rare) burger, nothing beats jack. Not pepper jack, not Colby jack, just jack.
On sandwiches, it varies depending on the meat, but smoked gouda is great with Italian meats (salami or prosciutto, usually) and a sharp cheddar is great with beef.
In salads, I prefer feta, although an occasional crumble of a bleu, like a gorgonzola, is sometimes craved.
I love caprese with fresh tomatoes when they are in season, which only goes with fresh mozzarella.
In sauces, I prefer romano to parmesan (it tastes slightly nuttier and earthier, but has the same meltable texture) and gruyere.
For cheeses that go with other cheeses (like into a grilled cheese sandwich, in a multiple cheese lasagna, on pizza, etc.) fontina plays well with everyone.
For snacking cheeses, with cured/dried meats, there's nothing like an extra sharp cheddar. You know, the ones that say "aged over two years." By themselves, herbed goat cheeses are awesome.
I like brie but I don't love it. I've read about how due to FDA regulations they can't actually make or import it the right way in the U.S., so at some point I will have to go to France and see if I like it better.
Deus ab veritas
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Aw man, does that mean I'm obligated to try brie if I end up going to France?

I love cheese more than Marduk does even if my palate is not as discerning. No matter what we're making with whatever cheese we have, I will snack on some of it - with the exception of bleus. They're the devil's cheeses.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Violet

Post by Violet »

I am a fan of most types of cheese, even if it took me a minute to warm up to some of them (I disliked emmental for a long time). Currently in my cheese drawer I have muenster, jack, parmesan, and mozzarella. They're pretty much my staples (except the muenster). I'll throw in some colby jack, feta (or other crumbly cheese for salads), or sharp cheddar from time to time. Provolone makes appearances in the summer for a few things I make.
Digit

Post by Digit »

I wonder what's the major appeal of a super-stinky maggot-filled cheese like casu marzu.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

WAIT BACK UP HOW DID I MISS THAT ZED IS PREGNANT.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

Probably because it was buried in an unrelated Board answer
Amity

Post by Amity »

Food is quite possibly one of my favorite things to talk about, especially pretentious foods like cheeses! I bought like four different kinds of cheese on my last grocery store run, though it's been a while since I've gotten a fancy cheese. I'm a huge fan of the more robustly flavored cheeses, like sharp cheddar (Trader Joe's has a grass-fed cheddar from Vermont that I love eating plain) and parmesan. And all this talk of brie makes me want to make a brie en croute. For some reason I've never really liked Swiss cheese, though.

And also, congratulations on the pregnancy, Zed! Hopefully things are going well and you're feeling good.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Amity wrote:And also, congratulations on the pregnancy, Zed! Hopefully things are going well and you're feeling good.
LOL does not compute
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Oh, also I totally forgot about cotija! Cotija is the best for enchiladas (done the real way.) If you've got a bunch of rolled up tortillas covered in cheddar, you're doing it wrong.
Deus ab veritas
Digit

Post by Digit »

I can say that when my wife buys some Laughing Cow, those little triangular wedges don't last more than a few days in the fridge.