Cake

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
Zedability

Cake

Post by Zedability »

Whenever I make a cake in Utah, it ends up super dry. I think it's the altitude. Anyone from/living in Utah have any cake recipes that actually work?
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Re: Cake

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Ohhhhhhh, maybe that's why my yellow cakes aren't turning out very good. Huh. Didn't think of that.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

If you google how to adjust baking for high altitude, there's stuff you can play with.
Genuine Article
Board Writer

Post by Genuine Article »

Any cake recipe with sour cream in it. So moist.
Violet

Post by Violet »

That's usually the opposite of what happens at high altitude baking... Usually you have to reduce oil because the cakes get super oily. But GA is also right. Sour cream cakes are delicious.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

The cakes get super oily because the other liquids evaporate, and the cake rises too fast and then falls too quickly, resulting in a rubbery, oily cake. Increasing non-oil liquids, decreasing baking powder, and baking at a higher temperature all have to work together. Reducing oil would work, but depending on the recipe, you'd just end up with a super-dry cake.