Why Tazers should be banned

Your chance to pontificate on the subject of your choice. (Please keep it PG-rated.)
orb360

Why Tazers should be banned

Post by orb360 »

I think that Tazers are way overused... It's like a form of legalized torture.

Many Police officers jump at the chance to use their Tazers (or mabye it's spelled Taser?) when they don't need to, ought not to, or even when it's dangerous to others.

For instance... The famous "Don't Tase Me Bro" kid... The officers already had him in custody... Why tasing him helped I don't know... The electricity through his body just made him convulse more...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3FFnpS-eYA

Then there is the Missouri boy. He fell off an overpass and broke his back and his foot. When the police arrived he was incoherent and saying things like "shoot cops" and "kill cops". Still, with a broken back and foot... I doubt he was in any position to act on these words and was probably in a lot of pain. But they still found it necessary to taser the kid NINETEEEN times before taking him to the hospital for treatment

http://rawstory.com//news/2008/Missouri ... _0726.html

Even scarier... Evidently police think it's perfectly ok to taser little children... and it's LEGAL.

http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles/no ... ildren.htm
http://www.infowars.com/articles/ps/tas ... ildren.htm

They are not even fully developed and you want to pass a few hundred thousand volts through them. I don't even think most young kids would understand.

Finally... Don't argue with a cop... Evidently, even being pregnant won't stop them from tasering you if you don't agree....

http://www.pacificviews.org/weblog/archives/001236.html

The woman in question decided not to sign the ticket... And guess what... You don't have to sign tickets... If you don't it's a little extra work for the officer... But signing tickets is COMPLETELY VOLUNTARY AND OPTIONAL.

Oh? You don't want to sign the ticket? Well... it's not illegal to refuse... But I'm going to taser you and your unborn child anyway.
Everything below the line of coherence may be safely ignored.
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

i'm sorry, but if my BACK is broken, you better believe i'll refuse to comply with officers too. i don't care what he was mumbling incoherently.
beautiful, dirty, rich
Nanti-SARRMM
Location: Beyond the Mountains of the Copper Miners into the Desert of Absolute Boredom

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

Imogen wrote:i'm sorry, but if my BACK is broken, you better believe i'll refuse to comply with officers too. i don't care what he was mumbling incoherently.
Yeah, but a taser isn't going to get him to comply in that state anyways.

Also, some guy died from it as well.
This site, and the opinions and statements contained herein do not necessarily reflect on my sanity, or lack thereof.
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

Nanti-SARRMM wrote:
Imogen wrote:i'm sorry, but if my BACK is broken, you better believe i'll refuse to comply with officers too. i don't care what he was mumbling incoherently.
Yeah, but a taser isn't going to get him to comply in that state anyways.

Also, some guy died from it as well.
that's my point! it's no good! i can't imagine the thought process "well, he's saying 'kill cops,' but he can't move. looks like he won't be getting up. maybe if i tase him he'll miraculously heal form his 30 foot fall. oop, didn't work. i'll try again."

sometimes the idiocy of cops astounds me. TRULY astounds me.
beautiful, dirty, rich
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

there's more to the "don't taze me bro" incident than the youtube video suggests; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University ... r_incident
orb360

Post by orb360 »

Yes I realize he wanted to be tased...

But that was just one of the many scenarios... And even if he wanted to be tased... that doesn't mean he should have been.

And... for the record... he was shouting "dont tase me bro!" (regardless of ulterior motives)

Also... I have a graph proving my point...

Benvolio

Why tazers should NOT be banned

Post by Benvolio »

I defintely think that a lot of law enforcement officers use tasers excessively and innapropriately. But I'm not prepared to do away with them altogether. The alternatives are things like batons or firearms, which are worse. Pepper spray may be an alternative in some situations, but not always. I am opposed to the improper use of tasers, but not the tools themselves. Until a better device is developed, they are still the best option in many circumstances.
- Benvolio
Arcaiden

Post by Arcaiden »

If a police officer wants to abuse someone they are arresting, not having a taser on their person isn't going to stop them. Trust me when I say that a baton, flashlight, radio, or even bare fists will work just fine for this purpose. The solution isn't to remove tasers from the picture, but to better select and train our officers.
Nanti-SARRMM
Location: Beyond the Mountains of the Copper Miners into the Desert of Absolute Boredom

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

Arcaiden wrote:If a police officer wants to abuse someone they are arresting, not having a taser on their person isn't going to stop them. Trust me when I say that a baton, flashlight, radio, or even bare fists will work just fine for this purpose. The solution isn't to remove tasers from the picture, but to better select and train our officers.
And to have better policies and laws in case abuse happens for those officers who use excessive or unnecessary force.
This site, and the opinions and statements contained herein do not necessarily reflect on my sanity, or lack thereof.
orb360

Post by orb360 »

Citizen's Arrest!!
Nanti-SARRMM

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

orb360 wrote:Citizen's Arrest!!
And the officer pulls rank and tasers them.
orb360

Post by orb360 »

And then they scream "Don't tase me bro! Don't tase me!! AGHAAGHA! AAHGAGA!!!!!! AGHAAGAAA!!!!"

And you are not supposed to be agreeing with me...

You're supposed to be arguing!
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

orb360

Post by orb360 »

Plop-Plop??

Seriously...

I think the bird had it coming...