47134-Graphic Novels

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Humble Master

47134-Graphic Novels

Post by Humble Master »

I'm just curious if anyone here, you know, reads graphic novels or comic books.

(I do...if you were curious)
Nanti-SARRMM
Location: Beyond the Mountains of the Copper Miners into the Desert of Absolute Boredom

Re: 47134-Graphic Novels

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

Humble Master wrote:I'm just curious if anyone here, you know, reads graphic novels or comic books.

(I do...if you were curious)
Does Midsummer's Night Dream count as graphic literature by chance? I'm reading that for an English class.

I will when the semester is out.
Last edited by Nanti-SARRMM on Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
This site, and the opinions and statements contained herein do not necessarily reflect on my sanity, or lack thereof.
orb360

Post by orb360 »

I read graphic novels...

(ok just kidding... unless you count Harry Potter as graphic)
Everything below the line of coherence may be safely ignored.
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

I read an online comic, but that is about it.

BTW Humble Master, did you see the thing about Doonsbury (sp?) in the Daily Universe? Pretty interesting.
[img]http://fredjikrang.petfish.net/Fence-banner.png[/img]
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

I'd like to read some, especially Maus. UIUC had a decent collection, and I caught a couple of the Fables series when they went through cataloging. The tough thing about graphic novels is that they're really hard to get through inter-library loan, so I may have to be extra patient.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Um... we have this kid's graphic novel that I like in the Bookstore. It's a cowboy Repunzel story. Pretty cool.

And my siblings are into the anime graphic novels and such.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Azriel

Post by Azriel »

orb360 wrote:I read graphic novels...

There was going to be such an awesome answer on "Graphic" novels, but I didn't have it in me. The energy was... lacking. Also ideas. The Bible and the Book of Mormon made it to the list, but it didn't get any further than that.
orb360

Post by orb360 »

Azriel wrote:
orb360 wrote:I read graphic novels...

There was going to be such an awesome answer on "Graphic" novels, but I didn't have it in me. The energy was... lacking. Also ideas. The Bible and the Book of Mormon made it to the list, but it didn't get any further than that.
aww... that would have been an intriguing list!!
Everything below the line of coherence may be safely ignored.
Foreman

Post by Foreman »

I didn't read this question before it posted, or I would have put in a plug for Blankets by Craig Thompson. I'm not a huge comic person (though thanks to mega-fan friends in high school I have read this one plus Sandman -- also brilliant -- in its entirety), but this is a great story. It's very well-done. It's good. Like, life-changing good. So I thought, at least.

Anybody read it?

http://www.amazon.com/Blankets-Craig-Th ... 956&sr=8-1
Naazju

Post by Naazju »

I really only read what I can sneak in during a visit to the bookstore. It's usually anime, though. And sometimes they're pretty darn funny.

Once, I found the first half of First Nephi in a graphic novel while at Deseret Book. That thing was awesome. :D
xkcd ***
Location: The spiritual BYU campus, but apparently not as Holy as BYU-I.

Post by xkcd *** »

Naazju wrote:I really only read what I can sneak in during a visit to the bookstore. It's usually anime, though. And sometimes they're pretty darn funny.

Once, I found the first half of First Nephi in a graphic novel while at Deseret Book. That thing was awesome. :D
Naazju, what's your stance on parentheses?
But thick as you are, pay attention!
My words are a matter of Pride.

My Goal: To make enough money to hire Jeremy Irons, the voice of Scar from The Lion King, to follow me around and do my dialogue.
Naazju

Post by Naazju »

xkcd *** wrote:
Naazju wrote:I really only read what I can sneak in during a visit to the bookstore. It's usually anime, though. And sometimes they're pretty darn funny.

Naazju, what's your stance on parentheses?
I'm trying to cut back.
Humble Master

Post by Humble Master »

Fredjikrang wrote:I read an online comic, but that is about it.

BTW Humble Master, did you see the thing about Doonsbury (sp?) in the Daily Universe? Pretty interesting.
I did not see it, but I'm guessing to do with Kerry Soper's research (correct me if I'm way off base there). I know Dr. Soper and have seen him present on Doonsbury before.
Katya wrote:The tough thing about graphic novels is that they're really hard to get through inter-library loan, so I may have to be extra patient.
Ah, the glories of the National Comic Art Collection. If only you were a librarian where that is housed.
Foreman wrote:I didn't read this question before it posted, or I would have put in a plug for Blankets by Craig Thompson.
I've read extremely positive reviews of it, but I have not read it, thus it was not put on the list.
Naazju wrote:Once, I found the first half of First Nephi in a graphic novel while at Deseret Book. That thing was awesome.
That series, which seems to have been put on hold, was scripted and drawn by Mike Allred, a very well-known comic book artist (he's done work on the Fables series I mentioned in my answer, as well as other high-profile work for Marvel, DC, and Image comics) who happens to be Mormon. I wish he'd finish the series.
A Mom, but not yours

Post by A Mom, but not yours »

The 12 and 17 year olds in my house read graphic novels. As a matter of fact, when I told them about your top 10 list, they both asked me to email them a link.