Dating Siblings

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Dating Siblings

Post by Unit of Energy »

http://theboard.byu.edu/index.php?area=viewall&id=47682

I don't have much personal experience with this, except that I made someone promise not to marry my sister. He just gave me a weird look. But one of my best friends from high school dated this kid she met when she moved away for college. Then he went on a mission to our hometown. My friend then started dating the missionary's older brother. They were engaged two weeks later and now have a daughter and have been married for two years. Yeah, I couldn't do it but sometimes it works.
A Mom, but not yours

Post by A Mom, but not yours »

There are so many unknowns in this question, such as how well all of the parties know each other outside of dating, the current status of all their relationships, and how long they dated. My first date was with my brother-in-law, a double with my husband and my best friend. Sometimes it can work well. Sometimes it doesn't. You can't know without trying.
chillygator
Board Princess

Post by chillygator »

I just imagined the sisters kissing around talking about his kissing techniques (o: That would be weird.
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

I once dated a girl until I decided that she wasn't right for me. One of my brothers asked if I cared if he dated her. I told him that I wasn't going to date her again, so it didn't matter to me. I should have warned him about her. A few months later they married. They had six children, a stormy marriage, and divorced.
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

I know a couple where it worked. He just wasn't right for her, but the younger brother certainly was. They still joke about it sometimes, but it wasn't a big deal. I'm sure it was at the time, but once time passes it is fine.

The worst part was that a different brother was getting married at the same time this couple was, and they sat down this poor guy and pointed out how wonderful this other fiancee was and how they didn't think that his would make a good wife at all, and asked him to reconsider.

Years later, they have a wonderful marriage, and she is an awesome mom to their three kids (one of whom has autism, so my hat's off to her dealing with that so well.) The other "much better" fiancee? They got an annulment after two years because she refused to let them consumate the marriage, among other severe mental problems. Yikes.

Post by 361 »

I've always been of the opinion that dating your sibling is disgusting...

Incest is bad!
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

361 wrote:I've always been of the opinion that dating your sibling is disgusting...

Incest is bad!
I was wondering when someone was going to say this.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.

Post by 361 »

bobtheenchantedone wrote:
361 wrote:I've always been of the opinion that dating your sibling is disgusting...

Incest is bad!
I was surprised someone hadn't already...
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

361 wrote:

Incest is bad!
Mmm... I thought about it.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

361 wrote:
bobtheenchantedone wrote: I was wondering when someone was going to say this.
Mmm... I thought about it.
Now aren't we getting off topic here? I apologize for not naming it dating a siblings ex/ ex's sibling. Dating siblings fits both circumstances. And for the record I am anti dating immediate family members.
Nanti-SARRMM
Location: Beyond the Mountains of the Copper Miners into the Desert of Absolute Boredom

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

Unit of Energy wrote: And for the record I am anti dating immediate family members.
I think the European Nobility may disagree with you there.
This site, and the opinions and statements contained herein do not necessarily reflect on my sanity, or lack thereof.
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

As far as I could tell from that link and my limited knowledge of European history, the European royalty don't actually go in for marrying immediate family members. It looked like the Incas did, though.

Also, has the movie While You Were Sleeping crossed anyone else's mind while thinking about this topic?
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

Okay. And I just went back to the list of topics for Reader Response and my mind played a little trick on me, combining the titles of the top two threads so I though I was seeing "Dating Sarah Palin."