Vorpal's reveal

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

yellow m&m wrote:That is amazing. How did you find the board?
My daughter, the one who is now a lawyer, first discovered the board when she was a student at BYU. She used to tell me about things she read on the board. Eventually I asked her for the web address, I checked it out for myself, and I became hooked.
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

Nanti-SARRMM wrote:...

I bow to you and tip my top hat to you.
Does this mean I now have to act my age?
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

Fredjikrang wrote:I have to admit that I was surprised. :D

(Next time your kids make some comment about you not being cool though, you'll have something to give them as an example. Though they are probably past that stage. ;D )
I think they are past that stage. My youngest is a freshman, and I believe she's really my biggest fan. But the next youngest daughter, who just turned 20, likes to sing my very own theme song whenever she first sees me that day. It's a great theme song. She seems to think I'm okay. So, I'm happy.
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

(Moved the discussion here, since it didn't really have anything to do with the question anymore. :D )
[img]http://fredjikrang.petfish.net/Fence-banner.png[/img]
Werf_Must

Post by Werf_Must »

Fredjikrang wrote:(Moved the discussion here, since it didn't really have anything to do with the question anymore. :D )
I was confused there for a second when I realized my post renamed itself... somehow I didn't notice it also moved!
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

I have to admit, Vorpal, I am a little curious. If you are truly in your 60's (and forgive my slight skepticism, this *is* the internet and you never know for sure who's typing the other end of the conversation (except for those of you who I've met)), what's the pull that's bringing you to the Board Board?
Werf_Must

Post by Werf_Must »

Wisteria wrote:I have to admit, Vorpal, I am a little curious. If you are truly in your 60's (and forgive my slight skepticism, this *is* the internet and you never know for sure who's typing the other end of the conversation (except for those of you who I've met)), what's the pull that's bringing you to the Board Board?
I'm not a BYU Student. I don't live in Utah. I have no siblings that are BYU students, nor any other immediate family. And yet, the board is still amazing!
*Just my opinion*
SWKT Parachuter

Post by SWKT Parachuter »

Werfywaffles,
I believe what Wisteria is saying is that old guys creeping around a college forum is creepy. High school kiddies thinking college is awesome is to be expected.

Post by 361 »

SWKT Parachuter wrote:High school kiddies thinking college is awesome is to be expected.
Be that as it may...

College kids creeping after high school kiddies on a college forum is creepier still...
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Werf_Must wrote:
Wisteria wrote:I have to admit, Vorpal, I am a little curious. If you are truly in your 60's (and forgive my slight skepticism, this *is* the internet and you never know for sure who's typing the other end of the conversation (except for those of you who I've met)), what's the pull that's bringing you to the Board Board?
I'm not a BYU Student. I don't live in Utah. I have no siblings that are BYU students, nor any other immediate family. And yet, the board is still amazing!
*Just my opinion*
I'm not a BYU student, and technically, neither are any of my immediate family members.
Giovanni Schwartz

SWKT Parachuter wrote:Werfywaffles,
I believe what Wisteria is saying is that old guys creeping around a college forum is creepy. High school kiddies thinking college is awesome is to be expected.
Wait, so what does that make me? Awesome? Expected? Or just plain creepy?
Nanti-SARRMM
Location: Beyond the Mountains of the Copper Miners into the Desert of Absolute Boredom

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

Gio, you will always be awesome.
Werf_Must

Post by Werf_Must »

SWKT, you remind me of 2:50 at this youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeWqqaclQxI if you are on campus, here is the point... "When I go through customs, I have a US passport but my birth place is still listed as Iran. At customs the agent was trying to figure out if it was a fake passport. Lets think about that for a second: if I am going to fake a passport, would I REALLY list my birthplace as Iran? How would that help anyone?" more or less.

If Vorpal was a creeper, would he really go about telling you his age and that he has a wife? Could it not just be that the board as an appeal to all age groups? Instead of acting all ageist, couldn't you judge a person according to their ideas and actions?

Post by 361 »

I think they were just poking fun at vorpal...

And I'm not ageist... Vorpal... You're still an uppity 20-something whippersnapper in my book! (just like everyone else... Gio included...)
bismark
Old Man

Post by bismark »

62 years and he still hasn't figured out i am always right? i call BS.
SWKT Parachuter

Post by SWKT Parachuter »

Werf_Must wrote:Instead of acting all ageist, couldn't you judge a person according to their ideas and actions?
Aw, man! I totally judged him unfairly. Thank you for helping me see the light. I feel like such a jerk now, especially compared to someone so mature and awesome as you. I better turn my life around before it's too late. Your level head has really helped me understand the errors of my ways. What would I have done without you? Thank you so, so much for your greatly-needed advice. It has truly made a difference in my life. Vorpal, please, please accept my most sincere apologies.
Nanti-SARRMM
Location: Beyond the Mountains of the Copper Miners into the Desert of Absolute Boredom

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

Which is funnier, SWKT's use of sarcasm above, or SWKT's usual pointed remarks?
Giovanni Schwartz

Eeny meeny miney mo....
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

Suddenly I find my comments officially classified as “Random Chatter.” That’s interesting. Well, probably appropriate.

Wisteria! You are such a doubter. But, as I think about it, you are right. How can you be sure I am what I say I am? I could be a cheeky 23 year-old, like Portia thought. I could be anyone. Why, I could even be Sarah Palin! Or maybe even SWKT Parachuter! And here’s a radical thought, I might even be Sarah Palin AND SWKT Parachuter! (Don’t ask me what SWKT stands for. I haven’t got a clue.)

I guess it really doesn’t matter, but there is sort of a mystery about it. And mysteries are kind of fun. Who is the real Vorpal Blade?

I don’t think I know any of you personally. But, you never know. For a while I wondered if Jooniper might be a relative. I have a married nephew and a married niece who live in Spring, Texas. And another one who lives in Hockley, Texas. And another one who also lives in the Houston area. Who knows, Jooniper might know one of them.

Ironically, the only board member, or former board member who knows who I am is Tangerine, of whom Hobbes said “No one will ever pass the identity collection Tangerine had. End of story. No use trying.” It isn’t that Tangerine was particularly active in finding out my true identity. She went to Wales with one of my daughters on a semester abroad program in 2007. My daughter told Tangerine about me. But I hear Tangerine is on a mission and can’t be reached for a while.

If you are really interested you could go to my lawyer daughter’s blog and ask her about me. Of course, I could have gone to the trouble of creating a fake blog, several years ago, for just such a purpose. Er, exactly what would that purpose be? Anyway, her blog is http://laserlady.blogspot.com/ It would be fun to hear what comes of that. Be sure to report back on it.

It is sorta fun to be anonymous, however. I don’t really want you to find out who I am.

Now, as to your question of the pull to this forum. I first saw the Board as an opportunity to ask some questions and get an LDS perspective. It was also a way to stay in touch with BYU, and I could use it as a window to what BYU students were thinking. I could discuss various current issues with my daughters who read the Board. In a way it helped me to stay in touch with my children, whom I missed when they went away to BYU. The Board has always welcomed everyone, including parents. I find the Board entertaining and informative.

In several of the questions I’ve asked (using other aliases) I’ve been rather disappointed with the answers. Sometimes I’ve asked follow up questions. Frequently those follow up questions were met with the response that the Board was a question and answer forum, not a discussion forum. Sometimes I’ve been told by nameless editors that my comments, if they were to be posted, might discourage the writers, who after all are volunteers. Sometimes the editors have been rather rude about it. Later the Board advised those who wished to discuss the issues to go to this discussion forum. Eventually I took that advice. I know some of you have had the feeling that “I can’t go to bed right now. Someone is wrong on the Internet.” I get the same feelings. I try to praise good answers as well as occasionally give my opinion when I disagree.
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

SWKT Parachuter wrote:Werfywaffles,
Sorry, SWKT Parachuter, that I had to spill the beans that you and I are the same person. But, for our apology to be sincere I think that everyone should know. We really shouldn't have used the unfriendly phrase "old guys creeping around a college forum is creepy."

I should now like to invoke the Nanti-SARRMM insanity disclaimer.