i before e rule

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

i before e rule

Post by Unit of Energy »

http://theboard.byu.edu/index.php?area=viewall&id=49547

I just found this question interesting. My mom came up with some additions so that the rule I always remember is "i before e except after c and when it says ay as in neighbor and weigh and in weird words like weird"
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

I'm surprised at how many exceptions there are.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Rules for the English language always have exceptions. Always. Even this rule has exceptions.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

The weird part of the rule my mom taught me was in order to help me remember how to spell weird. But I'm pretty sure she did not invent the when it says ay rule. Did anyone learn that part besides me? Just curious.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I read it in one of those Amelia books. The journal ones. She always had trouble spelling 'weird.'
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

I know that "Ay" rule.
Quiet Lamb

Post by Quiet Lamb »

Yep, I know the 'ay' rule, fairly common.
Tao

Post by Tao »

I must say that I was most relieved to note that the "when sounding like 'ay'" portion was not part of the question. This one took many more hours than I had anticipated as it was, and checking for pronunciation of each word would have likely been too much for me. The interesting thing that I noticed while slogging through all of the ei words was that there were very few that fell into the "after c" portion. I'd say it was just about 10% of the total, which means there were far more "cie" words than "cei" words.
He who knows others is clever;
He who knows himself has discernment.
He who overcomes others has force;
He who overcomes himself is strong. 33:1-4
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

yeah, Tao, I was wondering how you researched this one, that is some major dedication there
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

I had an English teacher in junior high who used that whole statement with our class, Unit, including the "weird words like weird" bit.
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

That makes me happy, because one of my teachers in high school thought that I was strange and had problems for the weird bit.
Tao

Post by Tao »

Whistler wrote:yeah, Tao, I was wondering how you researched this one, that is some major dedication there
Thank you, though I don't know if dedication would be the word I would have used. Perhaps Bull-headedness would be closer. Basically, what I did was looked for "ei' in a searchable word database, then weeded out all of the "cei" words, then looked up the definitions. when I realized how many days that would take, I focused on any that I didn't recognize. The fun or interesting ones I linked, along with the ones that we all should know, but might not remember as an exception. I was a little surprised to see the apparent brevity of the finished product, I was expecting this one to be another mini-novel.