middle-aged

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

vorpal blade

middle-aged

Post by vorpal blade »

Question #49511: "So, I know a 32 year old, healthy male who is looking for a job...."

Whistler: "We're college students, so we're probably not going to be able to give you great personal advice on good jobs for middle-aged men, but I'll give it a shot. ..."

Ahem. I think the consensus for middle-aged is "being roughly between 45 and 65 years old." (http://www.onelook.com/?w=middle-aged&ls=a)

I felt I was too young to be called "middle-aged" when I turned 45. Evidently some of you think some of my children are middle-aged.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Can we give him a title that says "Old fart"?
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

I barely turned 20 and I thought the whole 32 middle-aged thing was quite surprising to me too. Twelve years from now is a long time, but definitely no middle aged.
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

I had the same reaction. 32 is not middle-aged in my book.
Tao

Post by Tao »

According to the Wikipedian definition, middle age follows young adulthood and precedes old age. Most of the ranges there offered started at 40 and went to 60, but the US census uses the phrase to cover the age ranges from 35 to 44 and from 45 to 54. While I agree that I would want to put the term farther back, I would also be unsure of calling a 32 year old a young adult.
He who knows others is clever;
He who knows himself has discernment.
He who overcomes others has force;
He who overcomes himself is strong. 33:1-4
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

I would have defined middle-age as 31-69. 18-30 I would call young adulthood, 70-95 is retirement age, and 96+ I call old.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

well it sure provoked an interesting discussion, didn't it? But when you think about it, a young'un like me could be middle-aged, assuming I die in my early 40s. Anyway, the point I wanted to make was, I thought we weren't the best people to asking.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

NerdGirl wrote:I would have defined middle-age as 31-69.
We'll see if you stick by that when you're 30 years and 11 months old . . .
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

My dad says he will live to be at least 100, so won't be middle-aged until after he's 50.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

It's interesting how our perspective changes with age.

When my wife was 4 years old she asked her grandmother, "Grandmother, how old are you?"

Her grandmother, who was 55 at the time said, "I'm 25 years old."

"Wow! Grandmother, you sure are old!

Having a title like "Old and Awesome" makes being older feel a lot nicer. Thank you, title maker.
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:Can we give him a title that says "Old fart"?
A friend of mine just sent me this and I thought I'd share it with everyone.

A wealthy old lady decides to go on a photo safari in Africa , taking her faithful aged poodle named Cuddles, along for the company.

One day the poodle starts chasing butterflies and before long, Cuddles discovers that he's lost. Wandering about, he notices a leopard heading rapidly in his direction with the intention of having lunch.

The old poodle thinks, 'Oh, oh! I'm in deep doo-doo now!' Noticing some bones on the ground close by, he immediately settles down to chew on the bones with his back to the approaching cat. Just as the leopard is about to leap the old poodle exclaims loudly, 'Boy, that was one delicious leopard! I wonder if there are any more around here?'

Hearing this, the young leopard halts his attack in mid-strike, a look of terror comes over him and he slinks away into the trees. 'Whew!' says the leopard, 'That was close! That old poodle nearly had me!'

Meanwhile, a monkey who had been watching the whole scene from a nearby tree, figures he can put this knowledge to good use and trade it for protection from the leopard. So off he goes, but the old poodle sees him heading after the leopard with great speed, and figures that something must be up. The monkey soon catches up with the leopard, spills the beans and strikes a deal for himself with the leopard.

The young leopard is furious at being made a fool of and says, 'Here, monkey, hop on my back and see what's going to happen to that conniving canine!

Now, the old poodle sees the leopard coming with the monkey on his back and thinks, 'What am I going to do now?', but instead of running, the dog sits down with his back to his attackers, pretending he hasn't seen them yet, and just when they get close enough to hear, the old poodle says.

'Where's that damn monkey? I sent him off an hour ago to bring me another leopard!

Moral of this story....

Don't mess with old farts .. age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.

If you don't send this to five 'old' friends right away there will be five fewer people laughing in the world.

I am in no way insinuating that any of you are old, some are just more youthfully challenged.

You did notice the size of the print?