50323 - double degrees

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

50323 - double degrees

Post by Katya »

http://theboard.byu.edu/index.php?area=viewall&id=50323

I was pretty sure this one is true, actually. Does anyone have a recent counterexample? (I.e., someone who's actually graduated with two different bachelor's degrees — such as a B.A. and a B.S. — in the last 5 years or so.)
vorpal blade

Re: 50323 - double degrees

Post by vorpal blade »

Katya wrote:http://theboard.byu.edu/index.php?area=viewall&id=50323

I was pretty sure this one is true, actually. Does anyone have a recent counterexample? (I.e., someone who's actually graduated with two different bachelor's degrees — such as a B.A. and a B.S. — in the last 5 years or so.)
You are absolutely right, Katya. Good call. Here is the official word:
Double Major

A second major is rare and must be approved by the chair(s) of the department(s) involved and the dean of the college responsible for the primary major. The second major proposal and approval process requires an evaluation of all university core and major requirements and a time-to-graduation analysis. College advisement centers are prepared to assist interested students in this process. Courses used to satisfy the requirements of a student’s major can also be used to satisfy the requirements of an approved second major, unless such is not permitted by the requirements of the proposed second major. Only the primary major will be listed in the university commencement program. Only one degree will be awarded. The primary major only will appear on the diploma.
Source: http://saas.byu.edu/registrar/graduatio ... ements.php
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Thanks! I've submitted a correction to that effect.
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

I was almost kicked out before I could complete my additional major.

If you are going to get two degrees, make sure you don't complete your requirements for one before you complete your requirements for the other ... otherwise BYU gives you a swift kick in the rear to get you out of there, with no concern as to your actual future goals and/or usefulness of the second degree.

For the record, I technically have a B.S. with an additional major. Even though my additional major is in the arts, I don't technically have a B.A. (I still say I do on my resume, though).
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Yarjka wrote:For the record, I technically have a B.S. with an additional major. Even though my additional major is in the arts, I don't technically have a B.A. (I still say I do on my resume, though).
Both of my majors were for B.A. degrees, so I'd have had the same degree, regardless, but I don't see that it's any sort of great deception to say that you have a B.A. when what you technically have is a B.S.-with-all-of-the-additional-course-requirements-for-a-B.A.-completed-but-not-actually-awarded-because-BYU-doesn't-award-second-bachelor's-degrees.
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

Katya wrote:
Yarjka wrote:For the record, I technically have a B.S. with an additional major. Even though my additional major is in the arts, I don't technically have a B.A. (I still say I do on my resume, though).
Both of my majors were for B.A. degrees, so I'd have had the same degree, regardless, but I don't see that it's any sort of great deception to say that you have a B.A. when what you technically have is a B.S.-with-all-of-the-additional-course-requirements-for-a-B.A.-completed-but-not-actually-awarded-because-BYU-doesn't-award-second-bachelor's-degrees.
I agree :)

BYU made a big deal about it, though, making it seem like a really important decision whether I wanted a B.S. or a B.A.
Tao

Post by Tao »

Katya wrote:a B.S.-with-all-of-the-additional-course-requirements-for-a-B.A.-completed-but-not-actually-awarded-because-BYU-doesn't-award-second-bachelor's-degrees.
I don't think I fully caught this, care to elucidate?
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

Tao wrote:
Katya wrote:a B.S.-with-all-of-the-additional-course-requirements-for-a-B.A.-completed-but-not-actually-awarded-because-BYU-doesn't-award-second-bachelor's-degrees.
I don't think I fully caught this, care to elucidate?
The quote given by Vorpal Blade above spells out BYU's policy on double majors: they only give one diploma. So, you get a single degree like anyone else, but with an additional major on your record. If you had a major in Chemistry and a major in English, you'd have to decide which one of those is your primary major, and which one is your additional major. If you choose Chemistry, you'll get a B.S. with an additional major in English. If you choose English, you'll get a B.A. with an additional major in Chemistry. Since BYU will only give you one diploma (which makes no mention of an additional major), you technically never received both a B.S. and a B.A., but just one or the other. However, I agree with Katya, that since you did all the work for the degree, you should be able to say on a clear conscience that you have both a B.S. and a B.A.

If someone wanted evidence of that, though, you wouldn't have a diploma to show for it. You'd have to order a BYU transcript.
Tao

Post by Tao »

Ok, that does fit with what I recall being told. I had not thought to distinguish the differences between a degree and a diploma.

Thank you.
He who knows others is clever;
He who knows himself has discernment.
He who overcomes others has force;
He who overcomes himself is strong. 33:1-4