Math Education major Joe

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

TheAnswerIs42

Math Education major Joe

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

I don't have this on actual authority, so I didn't want to write it as a comment. But I do have a question. I remember when I was majoring in Math Ed and we all joked about how we wanted to double major in Math because there are only 7 different classes to take. But we all "knew" that you weren't allowed to double major because the majors were so close. I seem to remember someone having asked about it and saying they were told no?

Is that true, or was that a rumor? Are there double majors that aren't allowed because you aren't actually doing double the work?
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

I think in most cases you aren't allowed to double major in two majors from the same department. For one thing, there wouldn't be much advantage to it, because of the similarities. When applying for a double major, you have to state the purpose of your second major and make a good case for it in terms of your future professional/academic goals. If you could make a really good case for it, then perhaps a double major in the Math department would be allowed, but I doubt it if they're as similar as you say -- and it wouldn't surprise me if they had a policy in place to not allow it.