Challenging Doma, Changing the Federal Definition

Your chance to pontificate on the subject of your choice. (Please keep it PG-rated.)
Nanti-SARRMM
Location: Beyond the Mountains of the Copper Miners into the Desert of Absolute Boredom

Challenging Doma, Changing the Federal Definition

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

I didn't want to resurrect an old topic, so I thought I'd make a new topic.

It appears that Doma is being challenged about not treating same gendered couples the same under federal law as state law.

This is definitely interesting.
This site, and the opinions and statements contained herein do not necessarily reflect on my sanity, or lack thereof.
bismark
Old Man

Post by bismark »

[T]he Church does not object to rights for same-sex couples regarding hospitalization and medical care, fair housing and employment rights, or probate rights, so long as these do not infringe on the integrity of the traditional family or the constitutional rights of churches.
so does that make this a good thing?
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

bismark wrote:
[T]he Church does not object to rights for same-sex couples regarding hospitalization and medical care, fair housing and employment rights, or probate rights, so long as these do not infringe on the integrity of the traditional family or the constitutional rights of churches.
so does that make this a good thing?
What does "this" refer to? (The Church's policy or the court challenge?)
Nanti-SARRMM
Location: Beyond the Mountains of the Copper Miners into the Desert of Absolute Boredom

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

Also the Iowa legislature is putting forth a bill to make civil unions civil marriages.
This site, and the opinions and statements contained herein do not necessarily reflect on my sanity, or lack thereof.
bismark
Old Man

Post by bismark »

Katya wrote:What does "this" refer to? (The Church's policy or the court challenge?)
the court challenge. it seems like the DOMA is keeping the federal government from extending rights to same sex couples in legal civil unions. no doubt some people will want to push for federally sanction marriages, but giving same sex couples certain rights at a federal level seems in line with the church's position.
wired

Post by wired »

bismark wrote:
Katya wrote:What does "this" refer to? (The Church's policy or the court challenge?)
the court challenge. it seems like the DOMA is keeping the federal government from extending rights to same sex couples in legal civil unions. no doubt some people will want to push for federally sanction marriages, but giving same sex couples certain rights at a federal level seems in line with the church's position.

I'm interested in the assertion that DOMA is preventing the federal government from creating civil unions. As I understood it, it pertains solely to marriage. I haven't studied the topic intensely, so I could just be misinformed. Do you have any sources on that I which I could read?

As I see it, the Church would very much want DOMA to continue as law. I personally like DOMA, but I definitely think it is in violation of the Full Faith and Credit Clause and Congress' constitutional powers. If I were a judge, I would feel obligated to invalidate at least the out-of-state recognition part of DOMA.