#52791 Hiking Timp

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

#52791 Hiking Timp

Post by Fredjikrang »

I was a little surprised by what Yellow said. 8 hours each way?! Really?

I hiked it with a couple of my roommates last summer, and even though we took an hour long detour we were up and back within ten hours, and that is with a reasonably long lunch break and a longish break at the top! And none of us were in very good shape. As in, none of us had really worked out in months.

Have any of you hiked Timp? How long did it take you?
[img]http://fredjikrang.petfish.net/Fence-banner.png[/img]
Nanti-SARRMM
Location: Beyond the Mountains of the Copper Miners into the Desert of Absolute Boredom

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

A bunch of people in my ward went up Friday night to be at the top in time for the sunrise. I believe they left around nine or so at night, and they were up before the sunrise and got down pretty quick too. So I think eight hours each way is a bit much.
This site, and the opinions and statements contained herein do not necessarily reflect on my sanity, or lack thereof.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I just thought it was funny that that question came up right when I was trying to decide whether or not I should join in on the family Timp hike this week. Last year I was slower than my 80-year-old grandfather...
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

My family has hiked Timp a couple times, and it took them about 10 hours round-trip. (Um, but I've never been. I'm the oldest so I got left out of a lot of the activities once I got too old.)

My dad and my college-age sister, her friends, and also my youngest brother and sister tried to hike it on Saturday. They started at 5 a.m. and spent 7 hours in hiking purgatory, which means you wander around without a trail praying you aren't lost forever. When they finally found a trail, they went back home. Moral of the story: Don't go hiking with my dad, unless you've got someone else that actually knows what they're doing.
Yellow

Post by Yellow »

Well, the fact that we usually have a number of young children (age 8, etc.) with us may have something to do with it. And it may have been closer to 7 hours each way.