Question #54554- Preferred Toiletries

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Cuddlefish

Question #54554- Preferred Toiletries

Post by Cuddlefish »

So, I'd be interested in hearing about other peoples' current toiletries, mainly because I'm looking for a good new brand of toothpaste.

Here's the question again:

"Currently, what are your favorite brands and types of the following non-gender-specific common bathroom items?

1. shampoo
2. conditioner
3. body wash / soap
4. deodorant
5. toothbrush
6. toothpaste
7. shaving equipment
8. toilet paper"
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

Ah, the joys of living at home and having 3 little sisters also at home. Thus, some of these are maybe not what my personal preference would be, but I'm lazy.

1. Depending on where I shower, I either use Pantene Pro-V "sleek and smooth shine" or Head & Shoulders "something else with shine in the title"
2. I just do the 2-in-1 thing. If anyone wants to recommend I use something else, I'm possibly in the market
3. It's blue soap. Probably Zest or something.
4. Dove.
5. Our dentist gives us Oral-B toothbrushes, so that's what we use. Mine is pink!
6. Apparently we're the only family in the world that uses Colgate. My current (almost gone) is Colgate Total "Clean Mint." It has served me well.
7. I just started shaving again (thank you for hopping on TMI train) and to my dismay, my siblings use the horrible disposable Bic razors. With above-mentioned blue soap. I may or may not have used my sister's "sacred" Gillette Venus razor last time.
8. I think when my mom and I went out of town last week my dad bought some new, actually nice, toilet paper. I couldn't find the brand, though. Usually we use the cheapest of the cheap.

/long-winded explanation of toiletries. Man, I'll talk about myself no matter how boring the topic!

PS: I thought it was funny that Commander Keen so strongly defended his pouf usage when we already know it runs in the family.
Cognoscente

Post by Cognoscente »

1. Pantene for normal hair. A little pricey, but man does it make your hair soft.
2. nope.
3. Irish Spring, bar
4. Axe, either Touch or that new Mint one. Also, corresponding body spray.
5. the cheap one.
6. whatever box looks shiniest.
7. beard trimmer, Mach 3 for close shaves (which I haven't done in ages)
8. whatever's quilted and NOT Charmin, those bears creep me the hell out.
Early to bed and early to rise
Precludes you from seeing the most brilliant starry nights
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

1. Shampoo - I don't use it. A hair dresser friend of mine recommended a book to me about a year ago called "Curly Girl" by Lorraine Massey (I think - my mom is borrowing it right now) that talks about how to care for curly hair and it says to use conditioner to wash your hair and to not use shampoo. So I gave up shampoo and my hair has never been more healthy. I don't have dandruff anymore and I don't even need to use gel or styling products of any kind. My hair is very curly and about shoulder-length at the moment.
2. Conditioner - Dessert Essence Green Apple and Ginger. It's organic and kind of expensive (~$10), but I feel like with all the money I'm saving by not buying shampoo and styling products, I can afford to get myself some fancy conditioner. If my hair is starting to get dry for some reason, I like to use lotion or body butter to "deep condition" it.
3. Body wash/soap - Whatever I happen to like the smell of at the moment. I'm a big fan of The Body Shop and Lush (http://www.lush.com - I don't think they have any stores in Utah). But I'll use anything that smells good.
4. Deodorant - In the summer, Dove. In the winter when I'm not sweating very much, I use a coconut deodorant powder from Lush.
5. Toothbrush - I have an Oral-B electric toothbrush.
6. Toothpaste - Arm & Hammer Sensitive plus Whitening.
7. Shaving equipment - the free disposable razors and no-name shaving cream they have in the locker room at the gym where I swim multiple times a week.
8. Toilet paper - Kleenex Cottonelle. It's the only kind you can buy here that's worth using. And the only store that carries it is Walmart, and they only have huge things of it, and I have to carry it home on the bus and look like a crazy person with a six-month supply of toilet paper. But it's so worth it.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I use dove soap for sensitive skin and a Mach 3 razor. Those are the only toiletries I feel strongly about.
Miss Scarlett

Post by Miss Scarlett »

NerdGirl wrote: 8. Toilet paper - Kleenex Cottonelle. It's the only kind you can buy here that's worth using. And the only store that carries it is Walmart, and they only have huge things of it, and I have to carry it home on the bus and look like a crazy person with a six-month supply of toilet paper. But it's so worth it.
Where do you live? I mean that in a non-creepy sense; I'm just curious as to what places on earth would only have Cottonelle?
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

Halifax, Nova Scotia. It's seriously the only brand I've been able to find anywhere that isn't some cheap weird store brand. And I've lived here for 2 years now, so I've been to a lot of stores. It's very strange. The rest of Canada has a wide variety of toilet paper. :)