Petty Personal Politics

Your chance to pontificate on the subject of your choice. (Please keep it PG-rated.)
Castle in the Sky

Petty Personal Politics

Post by Castle in the Sky »

It's amazing how petty everything is in politics. Everyone gets (and the media FEEDS it) so strung up on the dumbest subjects. Sarah Palin writes notes on her hand (gasp!). President Obama uses a teleprompter everywhere he goes (what a dunce!) . Scott Brown drives a truck (oh my gosh!) . Rahm Emanuel called Congress retarded (I'm so offended!) . Michelle Obama's home-grown vegetables weren't the ACTUAL vegetables used in American Iron Chef (the cover-ups continue!) . WHO FREAKING CARES?

The real problem is that we, as citizens, allow ourselves to get caught up in these hand-waving antics that we miss the big things. There's so much noise in the system it just aggravates most Americans into resentment, indifference, or utter helplessness. With the offing of newspapers, the media's saturation with non-news (youtube clips about animals), the general lack of respect and tolerance towards differing views (do we really have to resort to name-calling?), the high expectations from citizens and the corresponding promises from candidates (Change is here? REALLY?), and so many people out of work things really are just spiraling out of control. We need someone to calm the flames and heal this angry, bitter nation.

-Castle in the Sky
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

My favorite at the moment is how everyone jumps on Sarah Palin for writing notes on her hand after she bashed Obama's teleprompter- so she writes another note on her hand ("Hi, Mom!"). Then, in a not very discreet jab, White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs appears at a press release with a shopping list written on his hand that happens to include such items as bread, milk, hope, and change. Really, guys?

My belief is that if everyone would stop worrying about jumping on each other's backs as soon as anyone so much as stepped off course or slipped up at all and focused on doing their own jobs as best they can, we would be a lot better off. Also, and I know this is impossible, but cut the news coverage. When you try to create 24-hour news, you just end up glutting people on the inane and pointless things that get dredged up- such as Michelle Obama's vegetables. Which I guess is in part what you just said. But it's been a very slow afternoon, so I'm repeating you. Sort of.
sqrt(-1)

Re: Petty Personal Politics

Post by sqrt(-1) »

Castle in the Sky wrote:It's amazing how petty everything is in politics. Everyone gets (and the media FEEDS it) so strung up on the dumbest subjects. Sarah Palin writes notes on her hand (gasp!). President Obama uses a teleprompter everywhere he goes (what a dunce!) . Scott Brown drives a truck (oh my gosh!) . Rahm Emanuel called Congress retarded (I'm so offended!) . Michelle Obama's home-grown vegetables weren't the ACTUAL vegetables used in American Iron Chef (the cover-ups continue!) . WHO FREAKING CARES?

The real problem is that we, as citizens, allow ourselves to get caught up in these hand-waving antics that we miss the big things. There's so much noise in the system it just aggravates most Americans into resentment, indifference, or utter helplessness. With the offing of newspapers, the media's saturation with non-news (youtube clips about animals), the general lack of respect and tolerance towards differing views (do we really have to resort to name-calling?), the high expectations from citizens and the corresponding promises from candidates (Change is here? REALLY?), and so many people out of work things really are just spiraling out of control. We need someone to calm the flames and heal this angry, bitter nation.

-Castle in the Sky
Oh, Castle! I've missed you too!
woe me
Castle in the Sky

Post by Castle in the Sky »

Wisteria, I agree. If they can't find real news to report on they should put on something else. One of the reasons people find Glenn Beck so easy to make fun of is the guy has a 3 hour radio show and a one hour tv ... rant? every single day. That's a lot of time to say something dumb.

sqrt(-1) ... thank you! :) I did stop writing for the Board as my responsibilities did just become a little too much for me (marriage to The Defenestrator, grad school, now I'm a dad!), but I still try to keep up.

-Castle in the Sky
sqrt(-1)

Post by sqrt(-1) »

Castle in the Sky wrote:Wisteria, I agree. If they can't find real news to report on they should put on something else. One of the reasons people find Glenn Beck so easy to make fun of is the guy has a 3 hour radio show and a one hour tv ... rant? every single day. That's a lot of time to say something dumb.

sqrt(-1) ... thank you! :) I did stop writing for the Board as my responsibilities did just become a little too much for me (marriage to The Defenestrator, grad school, now I'm a dad!), but I still try to keep up.

-Castle in the Sky
Congratulations on being a dad, then!
woe me