#56476 "Oldies" music

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

vorpal blade

#56476 "Oldies" music

Post by vorpal blade »

"I still remember the shock and sadness I felt when Utah's oldies radio station (94.1) played "With or Without You" by U2. What the what??!!

- Rating Pending (who was born only a few years before the album Joshua Tree came out. Oldie my eye.)"

Welcome to my world, Rating Pending.
Portia

what they might be called

Post by Portia »

So, dear Some Human, I felt you deserved a better answer. I think that the music of the '00s will indeed be "Oldies" come 2047. The styles of the 1940s-early 1960s will revert to their "proper" names, I think: swing, jazz, big band, stoner music, the Beatles, what have you.

I often try to imagine why the elevator music of the future will be: I think songs like "You're Beautiful," "Hands Open," and "Viva la Vida" will be what generation B (we have to cycle through the alphabet, you see) will be unable to escape. And of course hipsters born in 2029 will maintain that Pink Martini and Wolfmother and some kid's MySpace ("MySpace! It's so retro!") page from Minnesota are what the TRUE music of the "turn of the century" was all about.

I look forward to the day when I can snort in derision when my nieces are baffled by who this 'Sufjan Stevens" character might have been. :)
Damasta

Post by Damasta »

As near as I can tell, the "Oldies" stations play whatever was most popular at the time. So our escuincles will (unfortunately) hear Nickelback, Creed, Linkin Park, and Billy Joel on the "Oldies" stations.
I am Ellipsissy...
bismark
Old Man

Post by bismark »

Damasta wrote:Nickelback, Creed, Linkin Park
Certainly a sign that the Second Coming must be soon.
xkcd ***
Location: The spiritual BYU campus, but apparently not as Holy as BYU-I.

Re: what they might be called

Post by xkcd *** »

Portia wrote:So, dear Some Human, I felt you deserved a better answer. I think that the music of the '00s will indeed be "Oldies" come 2047. The styles of the 1940s-early 1960s will revert to their "proper" names, I think: swing, jazz, big band, stoner music, the Beatles, what have you.

I often try to imagine why the elevator music of the future will be: I think songs like "You're Beautiful," "Hands Open," and "Viva la Vida" will be what generation B (we have to cycle through the alphabet, you see) will be unable to escape. And of course hipsters born in 2029 will maintain that Pink Martini and Wolfmother and some kid's MySpace ("MySpace! It's so retro!") page from Minnesota are what the TRUE music of the "turn of the century" was all about.

I look forward to the day when I can snort in derision when my nieces are baffled by who this 'Sufjan Stevens" character might have been. :)
I <3 sufjan so hard.
But thick as you are, pay attention!
My words are a matter of Pride.

My Goal: To make enough money to hire Jeremy Irons, the voice of Scar from The Lion King, to follow me around and do my dialogue.