Weirdest majors

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Weirdest majors

Post by Marduk »

Me personally, I would agree that English majors and Philosophy majors tend to be pretty odd. As an English major with a Philosophy minor, both of these groups tend to attract fairly odd people. From the fantasy writer who insists on referring to her characters as though they are real people who actually exist (I hate ice cream! Which is really odd because (name of X character here) loves it!) to the self proclaimed Marxist who walks down the hallways muttering to himself about capitalist propoganda being everywhere, there are some really nerdy people in these majors.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

One person I went to high school with went to Harvard to study philosophy.

He was such a pompous ass.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

The physics department definitely knew how to put on a good freakshow, but there was a decent balance of weirdos and normals.
Waldorf and Sauron

Re: Wierdest majors

Post by Waldorf and Sauron »

Marduk wrote:to the self proclaimed Marxist who walks down the hallways muttering to himself about capitalist propoganda being everywhere, there are some really nerdy people in these majors.
...what's wrong with that?
Giovanni Schwartz

I'm pretty sure he was implying you're weird, Sauron. [ =
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

I'm pretty sure the strangest people I ever knew I met in my Theater Major classes. Although the strangest person I met was a psychology major.
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

My fiance loves to make jokes about Comparative Literature majors.
Damasta

Post by Damasta »

Unit of Energy wrote:Although the strangest person I met was a psychology major.
Agreed. Psych majors take the cake. I have yet to meet one who didn't have moderate to severe psychological problems of their own. It's where people of odd fit try to fit.
I am Ellipsissy...
Giovanni Schwartz

I thought that was the band geeks?

There's a hierarchy of oddness, at least at the high school I went to. All the people who aren't normal join choir/orchestra. All the people who are too weird for choir or orchestra join band. All the people too weird for band join percussion ensemble. And all the people too weird for that become stagecrew peeps.
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned art majors yet.
ahem.
Cute Shoes

Post by ahem. »

thebigcheese wrote:I'm surprised nobody's mentioned art majors yet.
We were afraid of krebscout's wrath.
Gimgimno
Cotton-headed Ninny-muggins

Post by Gimgimno »

MDT is fair to point out, though.
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

ahem. wrote:
thebigcheese wrote:I'm surprised nobody's mentioned art majors yet.
We were afraid of krebscout's wrath.
Wrath? No way, I was thinking the same thing.
ahem.
Cute Shoes

Post by ahem. »

Well, you have to admit, you've been kind of wrath-y lately. I wasn't sure what would set you off.

I DON'T KNOW YOUR LIFE!
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

Any one one here is probably sane enough to recognize shortcomings within their own major. I never hung out with theater majors when I was one. They would weird me out.
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

Heh. Not strictly a major, but I TAed enough pre-med students to have a healthy dislike for their cutthroat methods of going after all the points they can, even if the material is not learned.
However, I know enough good, decent-hearted pre-med students that I have faith in the medical profession still.
ahem.
Cute Shoes

Post by ahem. »

Unit of Energy wrote:Any one one here is probably sane enough to recognize shortcomings within their own major.
I don't think mine had many generalized flaws. Maybe I am insane.
FauxRaiden

Post by FauxRaiden »

As a Philosophy major myself, I used to think philosophy had some of the weirdest students of the majors. That was when I was attending UVU. Now that I've since transferred into BYU I've noticed far more normal people than oddities.

I would submit that Theater majors are probably the most...nerdy if you consider that odd. A lot of psych majors seem to be normal by virtue of the fact that people take it (or at least start to take it) and decide it really isn't that cool.

If you want to find the oddest of majors just try and find whichever one is the most helter-skelter and off-base that no one would expect. Ya know, like someone majoring in Boy Scouts of America management (I knew a guy like that and let me tell you, HE was odd.)
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

FauxRaiden wrote:Ya know, like someone majoring in Boy Scouts of America management (I knew a guy like that and let me tell you, HE was odd.)
My dad would totally go back to school if that could be his major.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Re: Weirdest majors

Post by thebigcheese »

Is it weird that I used to sit and read the Boy Scout Handbook for hours as a little girl?

...come to think of it, I think I'd still enjoy it today.