#57683 Runners and their clothing

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Damasta

#57683 Runners and their clothing

Post by Damasta »

link
So I totally understand that clothing affects performance and that that matters to athletes. But I've seen lots of people in tight, skimpy running clothes who definitely aren't athletes. I think that they should use better judgment when choosing their running attire.
I am Ellipsissy...
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

Yeah, make sure you have earned the right to wear the clothing you wear. That kinda goes across the board, whether it is just a matter of tighter clothing or less clothing. There are things none of us want to see.
Darth Fedora

Post by Darth Fedora »

I'm not a competitive enough runner that the extra weight of classroom-appropriate modest clothing makes a difference. But I do know that when I'm running in the summer, the heat slows me waaaaay down. You might not believe it until you try it, but in the summertime, a moisture-wicking tank top and running shorts is a million times more comfortable than a cotton t-shirt and basketball shorts. I'm sure most other people who wear "immodest" running clothes are also doing it for comfort, not for fashion.
Might I encourage a little more charity, and a little less body-snarking, especially in reference to people who are actively trying to be fitter and healthier?
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

Hey, I'm not saying anything bad about people who aren't shaped like models, and I am always impressed to see anyone of any level trying to stay healthy. It's more than I am doing right now- I lost my pregnancy weight and stopped caring about being fit. I just know that when I see my thighs in the mirror and cringe, I make sure my clothing doesn't make everyone else cringe too. I like the same courtesy from others.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

I remember getting a lot of crap for wearing singlets while participating in wrestling. Just sayin'.
Deus ab veritas
Damasta

Post by Damasta »

Marduk wrote:I remember getting a lot of crap for wearing singlets while participating in wrestling. Just sayin'.
That's because nobody wants to see a man in a singlet. Just sayin'.
I am Ellipsissy...
wired

Post by wired »

The only thought I had about the question was that the intent someone wears clothing with is the most important part. A girl wearing short running shorts because they look cuter is much different than wearing short running shorts because of chaffing. A guy not wearing a shirt running because he wants to show off pecks is different than a guy not wearing a shirt to avoid heat exhaustion or to prepare for a race.

That being said, I don't know anyone's intent so I just try to keep any gut reactions to myself when I see people sparsely wearing running clothing.
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

Post by Laser Jock »

wired wrote:The only thought I had about the question was that the intent someone wears clothing with is the most important part. A girl wearing short running shorts because they look cuter is much different than wearing short running shorts because of chaffing. A guy not wearing a shirt running because he wants to show off pecks is different than a guy not wearing a shirt to avoid heat exhaustion or to prepare for a race.

That being said, I don't know anyone's intent so I just try to keep any gut reactions to myself when I see people sparsely wearing running clothing.
I think this is a good point too (and almost commented on it in my answer), but I think that intent isn't the only consideration. For instance, even if a guy likes to run shirtless because it's more comfortable, there are plenty of girls who are bothered by that. (I was talking with a few just the other day, and all of them had a problem with guys running shirtless: one of them specifically said it's because she's really, really attracted to guys with well-muscled torsos.) Similarly, I think most (LDS) guys would be bothered by a girl running with only a jogging bra on top. And I really do think that others' reactions should be taken into consideration.
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

I've been an active runner for years, and I don't think it's THAT big of a deal to cover up. Heck, I grew up running track and cross country on the south side of Texas, which always seemed to be the most hot and humid place on earth. In the summer, my shirts were literally drenched with sweat by the time I got done. A friend once asked if somebody had dumped a bucket of water on me. But I never thought it was a big deal to cover my shoulders and thighs. As far as I was concerned, the tank-top and shorty-shorts were for meets only. But that's just me, I guess.
Laser Jock wrote: Similarly, I think most (LDS) guys would be bothered by a girl running with only a jogging bra on top.
Most, but definitely not all. I used to work outside with a bunch of guys on campus (some were even married!) who liked to regularly discuss the hotness of passing joggers. Anyone who was particularly exposed received the most attention. Personally, I found their response more disturbing than the actual wardrobes of the joggers. It only reaffirmed my decision to never, ever dress like that when I go running. Or date anyone who is so obviously preoccupied by half-naked women...
Laser Jock wrote:And I really do think that others' reactions should be taken into consideration.
Agreed.
ahem.
Cute Shoes

Post by ahem. »

I think we should take other people into consideration. They have some weight. But there are other factors to consider and sometimes they tip the scale, and sometimes they don't.

However. We can't live our lives to please others, and we are not responsible for how others react to our actions.
Last edited by ahem. on Wed May 26, 2010 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
wired

Post by wired »

Laser Jock wrote: I think this is a good point too (and almost commented on it in my answer), but I think that intent isn't the only consideration. For instance, even if a guy likes to run shirtless because it's more comfortable, there are plenty of girls who are bothered by that. (I was talking with a few just the other day, and all of them had a problem with guys running shirtless: one of them specifically said it's because she's really, really attracted to guys with well-muscled torsos.) Similarly, I think most (LDS) guys would be bothered by a girl running with only a jogging bra on top. And I really do think that others' reactions should be taken into consideration.
+1 to this, cheese's response, and ahem's response. All are good principles and should be taken into account.
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

With all of that said, I would list this particular issue under the category of "Personal Decisions" and won't be judging any of my half-naked neighbors for their choice of exercise clothing.
FauxRaiden

Re: #57683 Runners and their clothing

Post by FauxRaiden »

If it's a matter of comfort and the world's perception about me I'll always opt for comfort.

If the person feels wearing revealing clothing is fine for them, who are we to judge? We can only take responsibility for ourselves.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

FauxRaiden wrote:If it's a matter of comfort and the world's perception about me I'll always opt for comfort.

If the person feels wearing revealing clothing is fine for them, who are we to judge? We can only take responsibility for ourselves.
You know, I'd be perfectly comfortable running around my neighborhood in running shooes and a speedo, but I don't think the neighbors would be. There is a line.
Deus ab veritas
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Goodness gracious... Based solely on your facebook profile picture, I would most definitely have an issue with that.

Heck, I would probably have an issue with that from anyone, but you said it first.
FauxRaiden

Post by FauxRaiden »

Marduk wrote:
FauxRaiden wrote:If it's a matter of comfort and the world's perception about me I'll always opt for comfort.

You know, I'd be perfectly comfortable running around my neighborhood in running shooes and a speedo, but I don't think the neighbors would be. There is a line.
Perhaps in Utah there's a line, but many another place doesn't share the same sentiment. So long as it's in the realm of legality, though weird and probably gross, I say go for it. I'm not going to leave the responsibility of my lechery in the hands of someone else. That's up to me to deal with.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Marduk wrote:

I'll say there's a line. I would be uncomfortable with you running around your neighborhood in 'shooes' and a speedo, even if I wasn't actually a witness to the event.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

plus, you may think someone isn't a "real" runner, but you don't know their reason for wearing what they're wearing. i've said it before and i'll say it again: i am not responsible for your mind. take personal responsibility, and i will too.
beautiful, dirty, rich
xkcd ***
Location: The spiritual BYU campus, but apparently not as Holy as BYU-I.

Post by xkcd *** »

In florida, I run in a sports bra. Sorry. The humidity is too much here. In utah, a sports tank top and short jogging shorts. The receiving end of judgmental glares is a fun place to be.
But thick as you are, pay attention!
My words are a matter of Pride.

My Goal: To make enough money to hire Jeremy Irons, the voice of Scar from The Lion King, to follow me around and do my dialogue.