You can tell a lot about someone by ...

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Re: You can tell a lot about someone by ...

Post by NerdGirl »

What does it mean if my sock drawer is actually a big reusable grocery bag?
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

thebigcheese wrote:I once told someone that I could never date a man who wears brown leather shoes. Ha! I've always preferred the guys who wear athletic shoes and/or athletic clothing as their casualwear because I think it shows an active lifestyle and a sense of practicality. And I think that matches me pretty well. Thus, athletic shoes are HOT. If I saw a guy wearing brown leather shoes, I would usually assume that he is the "stable" type who sits at home reading books all day. In other words, boring.
An active lifestyle is good. And a sense of practicality also can be good in a marriage. But a "stable" type who sits home and reads books can also be good (though not all day.)

There is something to be said for boring. I associate boring with peaceful, tranquil, harmonious, loving, forgiving, gentle, meek, mild, pleasing, and humble. I associate the opposite of boring with war, conflict, strife, anger, disharmony, meanness, lack of forgiveness, prideful, arrogant, selfish, self-centered, and contentious.

Peace is better than war, if it can be obtained without compromising important principles; and boring is better than interesting in many cases. [/rant]
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Vorpal's right, quit bagging on boring. Us boring guys might find it offensive.

Or maybe I'm just an old man trapped in a young man's body?
Deus ab veritas
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

What people find boring says a lot about them.
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

I'm with you on this one, Comrade-Brother Marduk.

BORING PEOPLE OF THE WORLD, UNITE!
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

Ironically, I've been spending an awful lot of time at home lately...

I hope you guys aren't offended when I say boring like that. I was just saying that in dating, I looked for someone who would want to play sports and go on adventures with me. Not the homebody type. It just doesn't fit me as well, and I think I would have a harder time relating to someone who spent all of his time reading, watching TV, playing video games, etc.

To me, that's a boring lifestyle. I would get so restless! But if it works for you guys, that's fine.
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

Partly I'm just having fun with this, no offense taken. I have no doubt that most people consider me for boring for various reasons, but I'm never really bored or bored with myself.

The serious part of what I'm trying to imply is that dating and married life are quite different. It is natural to want a fun and interesting person to go on a date with you. Playing sports together, going on adventures together, doing anything together that you both like to do makes for fun dates. But marriage isn't like that.

I've known couples where both really liked sports. They got married, she got pregnant and had a child, and he goes out to play sports several evenings a week while she stays home with the baby, resenting the fact that she can't go also. They've tried to take the baby with them, but it often doesn't work out when the baby gets cranky or needs to be fed, changed, or put to bed in a quiet place. They try to make accommodations, but it just gets too hard to do. They can find babysitters, but you can only do that so much without feeling guilty or running out of money. Some people seem to manage it, but others can't, to be realistic about it. And if he stays home just because she feels she has to stay home, it is hard for him to not feel frustrated or hemmed in or inconvenienced, or bored. They may both stay home and be bored and unhappy if they don't adjust to the new situation.

I'm not saying a guy who just likes to spend his time reading, watching TV, playing video games, and so forth is necessarily a good catch or a bad catch. Both the stay at home type, and the sports and adventure types will need to grow up and learn that there is more to life than just personal pleasure.

Of course there are the people who don't want to have children because it will interfere with their lifestyle. They are missing the most rewarding, challenging, growth-promoting, fulfilling experiences that life has to offer. Children may not be for everyone, just as the Celestial kingdom may not be for everyone, but it doesn't mean that it isn't a desirable goal. Some may be denied this blessing in this life, others will voluntarily deny themselves of this blessing.

Er...I hope I don't offend anyone with that.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

thebigcheese wrote:Ironically, I've been spending an awful lot of time at home lately...

I hope you guys aren't offended when I say boring like that. I was just saying that in dating, I looked for someone who would want to play sports and go on adventures with me. Not the homebody type. It just doesn't fit me as well, and I think I would have a harder time relating to someone who spent all of his time reading, watching TV, playing video games, etc.

To me, that's a boring lifestyle. I would get so restless! But if it works for you guys, that's fine.
Oh, I hate boring people, too. Some people just don't have anything interesting to say! That's why I prefer people who develop their minds by reading and analyzing media. ;)
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

NerdGirl wrote:What does it mean if my sock drawer is actually a big reusable grocery bag?
It means you are the chosen one!
xkcd ***
Location: The spiritual BYU campus, but apparently not as Holy as BYU-I.

Post by xkcd *** »

I love people that can spend an hour or two reading a book next to me on the couch, and enjoy the boring. I don't feel pressured to be entertaining all the time.
But thick as you are, pay attention!
My words are a matter of Pride.

My Goal: To make enough money to hire Jeremy Irons, the voice of Scar from The Lion King, to follow me around and do my dialogue.
Foreman

Post by Foreman »

Whistler wrote:I think you can tell a lot about someone by their age, geographical location, and religion.
AGREED.

As a geography major, I like to do this to people occasionally. I've read some people pretty darn well, and it kind of weirded them out. I felt like Sherlock Holmes.

also: http://theboard.byu.edu/index.php?area=viewall&id=45993
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

Post by Laser Jock »

Katya wrote:
thebigcheese wrote:Ironically, I've been spending an awful lot of time at home lately...

Oh, I hate boring people, too. Some people just don't have anything interesting to say! That's why I prefer people who develop their minds by reading and analyzing media. ;)
Ha! Touché. :) (I agree with you.)
Seb

Post by Seb »

Tao, your "free association" post was hilarious.

I'm with C4/etc all the way. My parents always taught me that the way a person treats someone they feel is below them shows who they truly are. If you're at a business dinner and your potential associate is absolutely wonderful towards you, but is nasty to your waiter, disregard all of their kind behavior towards you.