Toilet Seats

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

bismark
Old Man

Re: Toilet Seats

Post by bismark »

In Japan I saw a toilet that would lift up the seat and turn on a green glow inside the bowl so that when you stumbled into the bathroom during the middle of the night, everything would be all set to go and you didn't even have to turn on the light.

A bit off topic, but why in the world do we not have foot flushers for all public toilets?
FauxRaiden

Post by FauxRaiden »

bismark wrote:In Japan I saw a toilet that would lift up the seat and turn on a green glow inside the bowl so that when you stumbled into the bathroom during the middle of the night, everything would be all set to go and you didn't even have to turn on the light.

A bit off topic, but why in the world do we not have foot flushers for all public toilets?
At the very least they oughta put the anti-bacterial flush handles on all the toilets. Or automatic for that matter.

They have these odd handles that are uh...self-cleaning for lack of a better term. They're just permanently anti-bacterial. It's kinda weird, but nice. I for one am glad BYU has those dispensers by nearly every bathroom door as well so I can clean after touching the handle.
Commander Keen

Post by Commander Keen »

It makes me laugh when people put the seat down because of the aerosol affect. Fecal coliform is everywhere, people. All over your bathroom, in your toothbrush, in the water you drink. Everywhere.

Bacteria are ubiquitous, and no amount of putting the seat down is going to change that. Hooray poop!

See this question for more tantalizing details! http://theboard.byu.edu/index.php?area=viewall&id=53104
<insert smarmy quote here>
Darth Fedora

Post by Darth Fedora »

bismark wrote:In Japan I saw a toilet that would lift up the seat and turn on a green glow inside the bowl so that when you stumbled into the bathroom during the middle of the night, everything would be all set to go and you didn't even have to turn on the light.

In public bathrooms, I always push the flusher with my foot regardless of whether it's a hand flusher or a foot flusher. But it's kind of fun when the flusher is up high, because then I get to be a toilet ninja trying to kick that thing.
foe

Post by foe »

"Honey, I don't always make an effort to lower the lid after I take a pee. I know you like it better when I put it down, but is it going to really bother you if I don't put it down every time? It's not because I'm lazy or don't care about you, but for whatever reason I don't always put it down."
This is the question I asked my wife when I saw this post on the board.
This is her response:
"If you put it down that's great. If you don’t, then I'll just do it no problem. There are bigger things to worry about babe."

I know she will never use the toilet with the seat up but she doesn't care if I don't always lower it, for whatever reason. Similarly, we both prefer it when our bed is made in the morning... but we don't always make it, for whatever reason. There are bigger issues to 'get your panties up in a wad' about.
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

Darth Fedora wrote:
In public bathrooms, I always push the flusher with my foot regardless of whether it's a hand flusher or a foot flusher. But it's kind of fun when the flusher is up high, because then I get to be a toilet ninja trying to kick that thing.
WIDB FTW. I totally should've been ninja more often. I could just see myself losing balance and falling down. And then, since I was always in the first stall with the handicapped door (yeah, I didn't figure that out until after I left) it would've swung open, and everyone would laugh at me (since there are always a lot of people in the WIDB bathrooms).

Yeah, I just assumed that was what you were talking about. It's what I'm talking about.
FauxRaiden

Post by FauxRaiden »

foe wrote:"Honey, I don't always make an effort to lower the lid after I take a pee. I know you like it better when I put it down, but is it going to really bother you if I don't put it down every time? It's not because I'm lazy or don't care about you, but for whatever reason I don't always put it down."
This is the question I asked my wife when I saw this post on the board.
This is her response:
"If you put it down that's great. If you don’t, then I'll just do it no problem. There are bigger things to worry about babe."

I know she will never use the toilet with the seat up but she doesn't care if I don't always lower it, for whatever reason. Similarly, we both prefer it when our bed is made in the morning... but we don't always make it, for whatever reason. There are bigger issues to 'get your panties up in a wad' about.
Yeah, keeping those bad boys from wadding up can be an issue at times. Especially if you're all sweaty. Much worse than a lifted seat.
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

Heh. I have four brothers (and three sisters) and the number of times that I've wiped off a toilet seat far, far, far outweigh the number of times that I've put a toilet seat down. I am far from being a germophobe, so wiping off a toilet seat bugs me but doesn't gross me out. Also, the one scenario that I feel makes sense for a woman to not even consider looking to see if a toilet seat is up or not is during the night when it is either dark or she is not fully coherent. Think about how unpleasant that would be, in the tired darkness that suddenly becomes startled and cold and wet . . .
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

Wisteria wrote:Also, the one scenario that I feel makes sense for a woman to not even consider looking to see if a toilet seat is up or not is during the night when it is either dark or she is not fully coherent. Think about how unpleasant that would be, in the tired darkness that suddenly becomes startled and cold and wet . . .
So is it better if a man pees on the closed lid in the middle of the night? I guess my feeling is that we all ought to look before going, regardless of the time.
ahem.
Cute Shoes

Post by ahem. »

Yarjka wrote:So is it better if a man pees on the closed lid in the middle of the night? I guess my feeling is that we all ought to look before going, regardless of the time.
Well, if we are granting that a woman could feasibly sit on a seat-less toilet, and that a man could fail to notice a lidded toilet.... then yes. It is better that a man pees on a closed lid and splashes a bit than for a woman to entirely sit down in a bowl of cold water.

Also your argument has a big hole in it for those who think the seat should be down, but don't care about the lid.

Heh heh heh... big hole.
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

Once when I was young my mom left the seat up after cleaning the toilet. I was tired and fell in started screaming like crazy. Both parent came rushing in to see what was wrong and started laughing at me.
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

seat, Yarkja, not lid. I don't really care so much if the lid is up or down as long as the toilet is clean. Although there is something mildly entertaining about envisioning a man so tired that he just goes on the toilet with the lid down . . .
Gimgimno
Cotton-headed Ninny-muggins

Post by Gimgimno »

It ends just like the story of the man peeing on a saran-wrapped seat...
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

Gimgimno wrote:It ends just like the story of the man peeing on a saran-wrapped seat...
I tried to pull this prank on my sister every April Fools day for like three years straight. And I would've gotten her too, if my mom hadn't put a post-it note "floating" in the middle of the plastic, warning her of the dangers lurking below. Sigh.
Gimgimno
Cotton-headed Ninny-muggins

Post by Gimgimno »

I testify as someone who has been in the same apartment as a man being pranked that it is very messy and altogether unpleasant.