The Countdown

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Indefinite Integral

Re: The Countdown

Post by Indefinite Integral »

I've been wondering when 5.0 was going to hit ever since the BORG incident. It's finally here!!
"The pursuit of mathematics is a divine madness of the human spirit." ~ Alfred North Whitehead
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

C is for wrote:What else would we have been counting down to?
Perhaps another Board Identity, Borg, or whatever they come up with next. Or some random piece of news, like a new Board t-shirt!
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

Post by Laser Jock »

This has already been mentioned on the Board itself, but I figured I'd point out that 5.0 won't have everything we've mentioned in various answers. On launch it will fully replace the functionality of 4.x and make some much-needed improvements, but it won't have all the extras that we'd like it to have eventually. We wanted to launch now and get away from the creaking hulk that is 4.x.

As Yellow said in Board Question #56786, "[The Board] has become more and more difficult to learn, to keep secure, and to adapt to our changing needs....The main goal of the 5.0 project was to make something that our webmasters would be able to maintain." With the way 5.0 is designed, adding the other features in later won't be a big chore.
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

I'm so ANXIOUS!
Craig Jessop
Pulchritudinous

Post by Craig Jessop »

Was anybody else's morning a little less sunshiney because the Board was down?
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

Yes! I am especially bored, since potty training means stay outside and stare at the toddler all day. Sadness.
Gimgimno
Cotton-headed Ninny-muggins

Post by Gimgimno »

I just logged in and took another look around. Be excited, everyone! There's a gray and dark gray Borg color scheme and green lasers everywhere!
Commander Keen

Post by Commander Keen »

Jeez, Gimpy. What a loser. Half an hour after it launches and you're already making posts.

It's okay, though. Nobody will realize it because heaven knows they won't read either of these.
<insert smarmy quote here>
Gimgimno

Post by Gimgimno »

Dude, I posted that before it even launched. CPM hooked me up.

But seriously, no one will read any of these posts.
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

i dig it
beautiful, dirty, rich
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

Gimgimno wrote:Dude, I posted that before it even launched. CPM hooked me up.

...because I compulsively delete approximately 10% of your posts? It's a bad habit, but these posts are making the cut. Haha.
Craig Jessop
Pulchritudinous

Post by Craig Jessop »

Gimgimno wrote:
You want people to notice this. Well here it is, noticed.

You're just looking for fodder from Board groupies that you can mock. Classy move, guys.
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

Post by Laser Jock »

Craig Jessop wrote:
Gimgimno wrote:
You want people to notice this. Well here it is, noticed.

You're just looking for fodder from Board groupies that you can mock. Classy move, guys.
Okay, I don't know what either of you are talking about. Am I missing backstory or something?
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

Um, anyway . . .

ACK! Change! Hold me!

No, just kidding. I'm impressed. I am VERY excited about comments being attached, that is fabulous. Here's my question, which I assume I will see the answer to shortly: if things post when they hit 100 hours, that means things will just be randomly posting all day then? So I can't just go once and read that day's posts and be done, I can keep checking back and wasting more of my day to see if there are new posts? That is serious bad news for my productivity.

Real question: what is going to be the "bottom" of the posts? Are they just going to add on the top for a day, then wipe clean? Or just keep adding?

Also, if someone submits a comment, is that post going to come back to the top so we know a comment was added, or will it just get buried in the archives?
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

C is for wrote:
Gimgimno wrote:Dude, I posted that before it even launched. CPM hooked me up.

...because I compulsively delete approximately 10% of your posts? It's a bad habit, but these posts are making the cut. Haha.
Yes, it is true, C is for is delete-happy much of the time. However, I usually catch the posts before they get chopped. So at least someone is reading your inanity, Gumby.
Deus ab veritas
Gimgimno

Post by Gimgimno »

I'm glad that I'm getting some attention! After all--that's the only reason I write!
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

TheAnswerIs42 wrote:Um, anyway . . .

ACK! Change! Hold me!

No, just kidding. I'm impressed. I am VERY excited about comments being attached, that is fabulous. Here's my question, which I assume I will see the answer to shortly: if things post when they hit 100 hours, that means things will just be randomly posting all day then? So I can't just go once and read that day's posts and be done, I can keep checking back and wasting more of my day to see if there are new posts? That is serious bad news for my productivity.

Real question: what is going to be the "bottom" of the posts? Are they just going to add on the top for a day, then wipe clean? Or just keep adding?

Also, if someone submits a comment, is that post going to come back to the top so we know a comment was added, or will it just get buried in the archives?
Yes, they'll keep updating all day long. Live posting. Woohoo for destroying productivity! The home page will show the last 48 hours. And yes, the comments will post along with other questions, so you'll see the comments. Kinda. You'll see a little bubble that says "There's a new comment on X question", and you can click on it to see the comment. (Please just don't go overboard on comments. They'll still need to be approved by a writer and they'll still fall under the same criteria. We don't wanna be overwhelmed by comments.) Except that Yellow says that when they took Board 5.0 live, they discovered that the code to mix the comments in with the questions was running really slowly, so they took it out temporarily. It should be back soon, though.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Dang! My avatar was hosted on Board 4.0 and it's now gone. [sigh] Time to go find another copy of it...
Commander Keen

Post by Commander Keen »

Gimgimno wrote:I'm glad that I'm getting some attention! After all--that's the only reason I write!
Isn't it for all of us? Thusly, I suppose I shall retire.
<insert smarmy quote here>
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Commander Keen wrote: Isn't it for all of us? Thusly, I suppose I shall retire.
Oh no! This is terrible news!.....

....who were you, again?
Deus ab veritas