Comments

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Comments

Post by Katya »

Do we not get notified if a comment doesn't post?
Darth Fedora

Re: Comments

Post by Darth Fedora »

Apparently not:
https://theboard.byu.edu/questions/59410/
And now I can cross "refer Katya to the archives" off my bucket list. :D
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

LOL! Nice work, Fedora!
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

I wish we did...or that there was at least some way to see your past comments. Like a "My Comments" page.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Darth Fedora wrote:Apparently not:
https://theboard.byu.edu/questions/59410/
And now I can cross "refer Katya to the archives" off my bucket list. :D
:lol: Touchée.
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

On a mostly unrelated note, every time I click the "I'm Board" button I have more of a desire to go through the archives and make all the comments actual Comments and not bolded questions. That would take forever. But my obsessive compulsive tendency just cries out for it. Maybe if each reader picked a different day to do, and the webmasters turned off comment notifications for a short time, it would be doable.

But mostly this is a dream that lives inside my head.
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

Post by Laser Jock »

C is for wrote:On a mostly unrelated note, every time I click the "I'm Board" button I have more of a desire to go through the archives and make all the comments actual Comments and not bolded questions. That would take forever. But my obsessive compulsive tendency just cries out for it. Maybe if each reader picked a different day to do, and the webmasters turned off comment notifications for a short time, it would be doable.

But mostly this is a dream that lives inside my head.
We do actually have vague plans to fix those at some point...I'm pretty sure we'd keep them so they were attached to the right reader accounts, though. I'm not sure when or if that's actually going to happen, but it's in our bug tracker. :)

On a related note, I remember discussing with a couple of people the possibility of asking readers for help with a few issues that will take a lot of manual work. I don't know if that's going to happen, but if it does I'm sure it'll be posted here! You're definitely right that spreading the work out could make it go much faster.
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

I'm really wishing right now that we got notified when a comment didn't post, and why. I feel like an important portion of a question was missed, and I have a good answer for that part, but my comment wasn't posted. I was about to write in another one being even more specific, but then I was like, "Maybe it got rejected because the person wrote another question asking about it again." That happened to me once when writing a comment before. My answer was right, but the person had asked another question so they let the real writer answer it with the right answer.

So...should I hold off on trying to make the comment, or go ahead and submit it again? I really do think it's important that the fact isn't missed.

Edit: I went ahead and submitted another comment. Reject away, Editors!
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

C is for wrote:I'm really wishing right now that we got notified when a comment didn't post, and why.
I agree. Without feedback, we're never going to get better at writing comments.