Random Maids a'Milking!

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
ahem.
Cute Shoes

Re: Random Maids a'Milking!

Post by ahem. »

I just had a very disturbing phone call from someone I apparently sent a resume to. He asked a lot of inappropriate and flirty questions before asking me very specific questions about my age and appearance to see if I "fit the profile" they were looking for in their office. At which point I basically hung up on him.

Part of me can't believe a potential employer would ever behave like that. But part of me hopes it WAS just a completely oblivious and unprofessional potential employer. Because the alternative is that some creep put up a fake add and now has my full name, phone number, and home address.

jibbly jibbly jibbly jibbly jibbly
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Oh no!
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

That is really creepy. I hope you got the phone number...sometimes you can look them up.
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

Has anyone else ever read Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality? I may never look at fan fiction the same way again.
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
ahem.
Cute Shoes

Post by ahem. »

Give me a link and a word count and I may consider it.
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5782108/1/H ... ationality

I can't find an exact word count but it's longer than the first three books combined and still growing. The basic premise is what if Harry Potter was a scientific genius before coming to Hogwarts? I cannot more highly recommend this. It will all but literally blow your mind.
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

Okay, that looks awesome and now I want to spend the entire night reading it.
ahem.
Cute Shoes

Post by ahem. »

Dead Cat wrote:I can't find an exact word count but it's longer than the first three books combined and still growing. The basic premise is what if Harry Potter was a scientific genius before coming to Hogwarts? I cannot more highly recommend this. It will all but literally blow your mind.
That's 306,901 words SO FAR. That's longer than Order of the Phoenix, and no matter how great it is, it's still fanfiction and I doubt it would be quite worth the time. (I'm afraid my upper limit for fanfiction is somewhere around 75,000.) But the premise sounds interesting. And 8,500 reviews on ff.net is very impressive.
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

I've read the first 6 chapters or so (switched computers, came back here to find the link again). I am enjoying it, but reading makes me feel guilty because I really should be writing instead...

Ah well. Due dates aren't until the end of the week.
Darth Fedora

Post by Darth Fedora »

Oh my gosh. I discovered Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality this summer, and have been a faithful reader ever since. It's the only fan fiction (longer than a few thousand words, anyway) I've ever read, and I love love love it.
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

I'm glad to report that I both upped the tomato ratio and soaked my onion for this last batch of pico, and it was bitterness-free. Thanks dudes.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Glad to help. BUT, did you use garlic? It MUST HAVE GARLIC!..... sorry, garlic is good though.
Deus ab veritas
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

Garlic powder, yes. It usually depends on if I have fresh on hand or not.
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

Question. My roommate installed an air freshener in the bathroom we share today that is not necessarily nasty to smell, but it's very strong on the sugary sweet scent and I'm not sure I want it living in my bathroom. She is very poor, lives on welfare, and I'm sure expended what is for her a decent amount of discretionary money for the air freshener. Do I bring up that I don't like the smell and offer to buy a new one with a less overwhelming odor or just suck it up?
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

I would just suck it up, and when it runs out offer to buy the refill.
ahem.
Cute Shoes

Post by ahem. »

Yeah, I'm not the confrontational type, so I'd just suck it up. Air fresheners don't last forever. On the other hand, I'm not sure it is as a big a deal as you worry it might be.
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

I agree. I had a roommate who liked to buy the nastiest smelling hand soap on this side of the Mississippi. I just learned to deal with it, and when it started getting low, you better believe I made it a very high priority to go buy a different one and leave it in a visible place (so she wouldn't even bother to buy a refill). I just HATED that stuff...
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

We're giving talks on Sunday. We were emailed two possible topics, one of which is just "The Laborer." I think this means "The Parable of the Laborer": the one in Matthew about the 11th-hour laborers earning the same amount of money as the all-day laborers. Sauron doesn't think my interpretation is correct, and I'm not even sure there is just one "Parable of the Laborer," though a Google search seems to agree with me. What do you think?

I could call and ask the bishopric guy what he means, but...I may have waited a little too long for that.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

I think you're right, but perhaps a bit too specific. I think in general "The Laborer" is simply those who labor "in the vineyard" that is, missionary work. Another specific possibility, and the one that came to my mind first, is the servant of the vineyard in Jacob 5. I think good things could be extrapolated from either of those, or any other specific "Laborer" in that more general topic of laborers. The capitalization, though, makes me instantly think Christ, as I mentioned.
Deus ab veritas
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

krebscout wrote:We're giving talks on Sunday. We were emailed two possible topics, one of which is just "The Laborer." I think this means "The Parable of the Laborer": the one in Matthew about the 11th-hour laborers earning the same amount of money as the all-day laborers. Sauron doesn't think my interpretation is correct, and I'm not even sure there is just one "Parable of the Laborer," though a Google search seems to agree with me. What do you think?

I could call and ask the bishopric guy what he means, but...I may have waited a little too long for that.
I asked Yellow what he thought, without giving him context, and he came up with the same parable you suggested.

He also suggested you could talk about what it's like being pregnant. :)