Baby carriers?

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
krebscout

Baby carriers?

Post by krebscout »

Does anybody have any experience with baby carriers/wraps/slings? A kind you loved or hated? Tried making your own?
Yarjka

Re: Baby carriers?

Post by Yarjka »

My wife and I haven't enjoyed the moby wrap. We have a cheap carrier that we were given by my brother-in-law that we use around the house, but we're looking to upgrade to an ergo carrier. We've heard those are good.
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

My sister in laws swear by the wrap thingys, but I think those would drive me crazy. I had a hard enough time manuevering wiggling feet into a regular carrier, let alone trying to make the wrap stay in place. However, they really and truly do love them to death, and they are of the "carrying your baby all day every day means you love your baby" sort of people. So they use them A LOT.

I don't remember what kind my carrier was - but I do remember important features. Make sure it is rather breathable, cushioned straps are awesome, and being able to face in and out is a must as well. Oh, and the hip strap as well as the shoulder straps is a good option. Dorky, but it you are going to walk significant distances, it pays off.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

I have both a store-bought carrier and a wrap that I made. I used the wrap for ages. Yeah, it took a few more minutes to get it all done up, but it spread the weight evenly over my back and shoulders and even after a few hours of having her in it, my shoulders didn't hurt at all. I can't say the same about my store-bought one. I used it maybe once or twice in her first year. Lately though, I've tended more towards the store-bought one, mostly because I'm lazy and don't want to relearn how to tie the wrap. But it's a pain because I typically want her on my back when I wear her, and I can't do that by myself at all. And it hurts my shoulders pretty quickly. I should revisit the wrap so that I can have the option of wearing her on my front, side, or back.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

This thread reminds me of a book I saw called Baby Origami. I'm pretty sure it had some wrap ideas.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

For anyone interested, here's where I find different wraps to learn: http://www.thebabywearer.com/index.php? ... tionsChart
finp

Post by finp »

I've also heard good things about the the Ergo baby carrier (comfortably, easy to put on, etc.). My sister wants a Baby Bjorn Carrier. But both of those options are incredibly pricey. I'd say try the sling thing for a while and see if you can make it work for you?
OptimusPrime

Post by OptimusPrime »

We have two regular carriers (Baby Bjorn and something similar) and my wife made a wrap one also. It seemed like she used the wrap more, but you could send her an email and ask.
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

My wife and I just got back from the store, where we tried out a few different carriers. Our favorite was definitely the Ergo ... now we just need to decide between the Original, Sport, and Performance models. The one downside to the Ergo is that the baby can't face out - but a similar downside to the Baby Bjorn is that it can't be worn on the back. Apparently the baby facing out is not the best thing anyways, so we're pretty set on the Ergo.

Since this is a pretty pricey item, we're taking our time to think it over a bit before purchasing. I'll be sure to update once we get one.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Here's a blog post I just read about a lady with a bunch of different carriers and what she uses each for. It might be helpful for you: http://itsallaboutthehat.blogspot.com/2 ... onday.html
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

I ended up buying a Moby wrap and got it a few days ago. If I had known it was literally just a long piece of cloth, I probably would have tried to make my own, but I'm quite pleased with it so far. I can see how it wouldn't be as much use for a bigger kid, but for a newborn for trips to the playground or the walk to church, it's awesome. I can actually go somewhere alone with my two babies now.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Yeah, I made my own wrap. Super simple. And each length of cloth makes 2-3. So I split the cost with Claudio's wife and made two—one for each of us. Cost me like, $6. If you ever decide to make your own, let me know and I can send you a link for instructions.