Squash

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Squash

Post by thebigcheese »

I've never met a squash that I really liked, and I'm wondering if maybe it just hasn't been prepared properly. We recently received a banana squash, so instead of just throwing it away, I want to give it a chance. What the heck do you do with a squash? Bake it?
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Re: Squash

Post by Marduk »

Different squashes call for different methods. With a banana, odds are I would slice the squash, fry it in butter with a bit of diced onion, adding some lemon juice, salt, pepper, and paprika, and cooking until both onions and squash are soft.

Incidentally, I did a similar method with a crookneck (probably my personal favorite kind of squash) for Bob's family, which professes to hate squash, and they loved it.
Deus ab veritas
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

I think what makes squash seem gross is that it gets overcooked and underseasoned. Doing something like Marduk suggested would solve both of those problems. I love squash, but I've certainly had some squash that was awful because it wasn't cooked properly.
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

I have a friend who grew up eating squash pie instead of pumpkin pie (since they are all cucurbits). If you season it up nicely, it could be a dessert. Pumpkin by itself is not very sweet.