#60995 - BYU men and relationships

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

#60995 - BYU men and relationships

Post by Katya »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/60995/

I think we can call this question the poster child for the phenomenon of "funny answers get more thumbs up than good answers." (I'm part of the problem, since I voted up CK's answer, as well. But then I realized what I'd done and thumbed up Mico's answer, as well.)
Tao

Re: #60995 - BYU men and relationships

Post by Tao »

Must say I was slightly amused by the question itself, all things considered.
He who knows others is clever;
He who knows himself has discernment.
He who overcomes others has force;
He who overcomes himself is strong. 33:1-4
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Yes, I found most amusing the term "been flirted." Apparently it is a passive thing, and she had no involvement in it whatsoever. Damn these drive-by flirtings.
Deus ab veritas
Craig Jessop
Pulchritudinous

Post by Craig Jessop »

Marduk wrote:Yes, I found most amusing the term "been flirted." Apparently it is a passive thing, and she had no involvement in it whatsoever. Damn these drive-by flirtings.
*LIKE*
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

Post by Laser Jock »

Katya wrote:http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/60995/

I think we can call this question the poster child for the phenomenon of "funny answers get more thumbs up than good answers." (I'm part of the problem, since I voted up CK's answer, as well. But then I realized what I'd done and thumbed up Mico's answer, as well.)
Yeah, I think the thumbs-up thing is pretty clearly equivalent to Facebook's "like" button as far as what people use it to convey. (Which isn't a bad thing, mind you.) It's not exactly what I think we had in mind, but it's a valid thing to measure too.
Commander Keen

Post by Commander Keen »

Well Katya, it's not like I just wrote that answer so I could get my anonymous glory kicks. I only wrote it to highlight how dumb I thought the question really was.

But I thought your system of administering justice was humorous. Maybe I'll start thumbs-upping every answer just to mess with the system :D (smiley to indicate the tone of this response).
<insert smarmy quote here>
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Commander Keen wrote:Well Katya, it's not like I just wrote that answer so I could get my anonymous glory kicks. I only wrote it to highlight how dumb I thought the question really was.
Nah, I thought it was a great answer. But LJ and I have talked before about how the thumbs system favors some kinds of answering greatness over others. (I guess I could amend my original post to say that "funny answers get more thumbs than thoughtful but serious answers," or something along those lines.)
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

Laser Jock wrote:

Yeah, I think the thumbs-up thing is pretty clearly equivalent to Facebook's "like" button as far as what people use it to convey. (Which isn't a bad thing, mind you.) It's not exactly what I think we had in mind, but it's a valid thing to measure too.
Yeah. I like the "Editor's Choice" designation for legitimately good answers...thumbs up is basically just for fun.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

thebigcheese wrote:
Laser Jock wrote:

Yeah. I like the "Editor's Choice" designation for legitimately good answers...thumbs up is basically just for fun.
Right, but "Editor's Choice" is binary, while the thumbs are gradable. Both types of categories have benefits and drawbacks.