Religious vs. Spiritual

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
Dragon Lady

Religious vs. Spiritual

Post by Dragon Lady »

If someone were to ask you if you were religious or spiritual, how would you answer? And what do you think are the differences between the two?
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Re: Religious vs. Spiritual

Post by Katya »

I would say that I'm both. To me, religious means that you're affiliated with a formal religion, while spiritual has more to do with seeking a connection with the divine, in whatever form it might take. (The cynic in me thinks that being "spiritual" without being "religious" sounds like taking the fluffy aspects of religion without making any of the sacrifices, but I was obviously raised in a culture which valued formal religion and the associated sacrifices.)
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

I think Katya is spot on with both definitions, but I disagree about the conjecture. I would also answer yes to both, and I think most people who qualify themselves as religious would also qualify themselves as spiritual, but I don't think the reverse is true.

Unfortunately, I think many religious who would define themselves as spiritual would do so erroneously. Too often we get lost in the so-called sacrifices, the rituals and traditions, and lose the spiritual aspect. Others see religion being perverted into motions devoid of reason and seek an alternative way to reach the divine outside of organized religion. But this is your question, so I'll keep this rant to a minimum.
Deus ab veritas
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Heh. Rant away. Mostly, I read a blog today where they encouraged the readers to ask themselves if they are religious or spiritual. And I was a little confused. Because in my head the two were synonymous. The more I thought about it, the more I could pull them apart and find little differences, but I was curious what other people thought about it. I'm not hoping this thread will go in a specific direction. I'm just putting feelers out there for anything on the topic.
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

When I think of spiritual, I think of hippies. And the type of people who need to focus their chi.
Tao

Post by Tao »

thebigcheese wrote:When I think of spiritual, I think of hippies. And the type of people who need to focus their chi.
I do not know if I qualify as spiritual the vast majority of the time. And hippie or no, I can work wonders with my chi. ;)
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Katya wrote:I would say that I'm both. To me, religious means that you're affiliated with a formal religion, while spiritual has more to do with seeking a connection with the divine, in whatever form it might take. (The cynic in me thinks that being "spiritual" without being "religious" sounds like taking the fluffy aspects of religion without making any of the sacrifices, but I was obviously raised in a culture which valued formal religion and the associated sacrifices.)
I think you're probably right about "spiritual but not religious" sometimes, but not always. To a lot of people, the word "religion" is associated with either (a) empty rituals or (b) violence, racism, sexism, and a whole host of other evils. To choose to disassociate oneself from those aspects of religion is not necessarily to refuse to make any sacrifices.

To me, the sole purpose of religion and its associated rituals is to enhance the connection to the divine that Katya defined as spirituality. I happen to be a huge fan of a lot of formal, even ritualistic, aspects of Christian religion, but I don't consider them necessary for spirituality. Jesus had some pretty harsh words for people who placed rituals and the outward trappings of religion with "true" righteousness, which he sums up as loving God and loving your neighbor.
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

"Spiritual" can have some interesting connotations. It doesn't sound like it does in this context. But for a timely example, let me transcribe for you - word for word - this incredible little flyer we got under our windshield wiper in the parking lot of WalMart yesterday:

"PROBLEMS???? DON'T GIVE UP! GUARANTEED RESULTS IN 10 HOURS. SISTER HAYNES. This southern-born Spiritualist who brings to you the mysteries of the deep south. She seeks to help many thousands of people who have been crossed, have spells can't hold money [sic], want luck, want their loved ones back, want to stop nature problems or want to get rid of a strange sickness. If you are seeking a sure-fire woman to do for you the things that are needed or wish to gain financial aid or peace, love and prosperity in the home, you need to see this woman of GOD today! She tells you all before you utter a word. She can bring the spirit of release and control your every affair and dealing. Are you suffering from illness or disease that you cannot cure? There is a doctor of all doctors. This doctor is GOD. Thousands of people are amazed at the results gotten by HER. When your case seems hopeless, there is a remedy for you. Read James, Chapter 5, verses 13-16. Then come to see ME as many others do from far and near. You are bound to be satisfied! Satisfaction is doubly guaranteed. One visit is all you need. GUARANTEED RESULTS IN THREE DAYS. Two Free Questions by Phone. (Phone number) Los Angeles, CA."
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

We can talk about this in general, world terms, or in specific LDS terms. I think we're doing a great job of both, but I am just going to talk the LDS way.

I'm more religious than spiritual. I go to church, I fill my callings, I pay my tithing, etc. I want to be more spiritual, though -- be more in tune with the Spirit. To do that I should have a closer relationship to the scriptures, have more meaningful prayers, etc. This is my personal meaning of those two words. I'm not saying that's how it works for everyone, but it's how I define them.

Krebscout, that made me laugh.
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

i actually asked a similar question on the board because i didn't know what to call myself. i believe in God, but i'm not baptized (and not planning to be at this point in time), and i don't like how a lot of Christians behave, so i don't really want to associate with them. so it turns out i'm a theist, and a very spiritual one at that. but i'm definitely not religious since i'm not a member of any religion.
beautiful, dirty, rich
UnluckyStuntman

Post by UnluckyStuntman »

I'm neither religious nor spiritual. And I'm totally cool with that.

Imogen, I think you can still be religious without belonging formally to a church. In my mind, religious has always been simply an outward expression of your spirituality, which may or may not include attending or belonging to a church. Maybe you express your spirituality in different ways?
Werf_Must

Post by Werf_Must »

Try not to cringe too much at the name of the blog or the content of the post.
http://lifeasbryanswife.blogspot.com/20 ... s-huh.html

It was a post that brought this topic to my mind. I really didn't like it.

I think that the definitions given of spiritual/religious in this thread were correct
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

UnluckyStuntman wrote:I'm neither religious nor spiritual. And I'm totally cool with that.

Imogen, I think you can still be religious without belonging formally to a church. In my mind, religious has always been simply an outward expression of your spirituality, which may or may not include attending or belonging to a church. Maybe you express your spirituality in different ways?
yeah, i think i do express it differently in that i have no idea how i want my beliefs expressed.
beautiful, dirty, rich
UnluckyStuntman

Post by UnluckyStuntman »

Imogen wrote:
UnluckyStuntman wrote:I'm neither religious nor spiritual. And I'm totally cool with that.

yeah, i think i do express it differently in that i have no idea how i want my beliefs expressed.
That totally works.
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

Here's something I was thinking about today, feel free to dispute it:

Worship of a higher power consists of two components: physical and spiritual. People who are "religious" tend to emphasize the physical aspects of it, such as attending church and participating in various ceremonies. People who are "spiritual" tend to emphasize the non-physical aspects of it, such as feeling the Spirit and communicating with God. However, since our very nature involves both physical and spiritual components (body + spirit = soul), we actually need BOTH the physical and the spiritual elements in order to have a more complete worship--one that encompasses every fiber of our being.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Emiliana wrote:
Katya wrote:I would say that I'm both. To me, religious means that you're affiliated with a formal religion, while spiritual has more to do with seeking a connection with the divine, in whatever form it might take. (The cynic in me thinks that being "spiritual" without being "religious" sounds like taking the fluffy aspects of religion without making any of the sacrifices, but I was obviously raised in a culture which valued formal religion and the associated sacrifices.)
I think you're probably right about "spiritual but not religious" sometimes, but not always. To a lot of people, the word "religion" is associated with either (a) empty rituals or (b) violence, racism, sexism, and a whole host of other evils. To choose to disassociate oneself from those aspects of religion is not necessarily to refuse to make any sacrifices.
Sure, I just haven't had a lot of experience with people who take that sort of approach to spirituality. (Also, it may be an issue that such people don't necessarily talk about their spirituality all that often, while the ones who are always telling you how spiritual they are are more of the shallow type.)
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Marduk wrote:Unfortunately, I think many religious who would define themselves as spiritual would do so erroneously. Too often we get lost in the so-called sacrifices, the rituals and traditions, and lose the spiritual aspect.
Definitely. The spiritual-but-not religious are happy to define themselves as such, but the religious-but-not-spiritual are blind to their lack of spirituality. (Unless you're venturing into the territory of people who don't believe any of it, but put on a religious front, for whatever reasons.)
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Katya wrote:
Emiliana wrote:
Sure, I just haven't had a lot of experience with people who take that sort of approach to spirituality. (Also, it may be an issue that such people don't necessarily talk about their spirituality all that often, while the ones who are always telling you how spiritual they are are more of the shallow type.)
Actually, come to think of it, I'd say the author of The Year of Living Biblically ended his journey as someone who was more spiritual, if not formally religious, and I really enjoyed that book.
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

Katya wrote:
Actually, come to think of it, I'd say the author of The Year of Living Biblically ended his journey as someone who was more spiritual, if not formally religious, and I really enjoyed that book.
oh was it good?!?! it's on my e-books wish list. i followed his blog on Slate when he was actually in the process and it was quite fascinating.
beautiful, dirty, rich
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Imogen wrote:
Katya wrote:
oh was it good?!?! it's on my e-books wish list. i followed his blog on Slate when he was actually in the process and it was quite fascinating.
I really liked it. Granted, I have a strong sense of parody, so I didn't mind it when he poked fun at some of the more contradictory aspects of religion. Also, he didn't touch much on Mormonism, which might have been tougher for me to swallow.