Brandon Davies and the Honor Code

Your chance to pontificate on the subject of your choice. (Please keep it PG-rated.)
wired

Brandon Davies and the Honor Code

Post by wired »

First off, you've got to feel for Brandon Davies. I can't think of anyone - ANYONE - at BYU who has had their personal indiscretions made so public.

Second, and more broadly, what does everyone think of this whole hoowah? I am living in the East right now (graduated from BYU last April) and this has been the most that anyone has ever asked me about BYU. It has really rippled across the country. And, since this is a Soapbox forum, I want to get something off my chest.

I feel like almost every news media outlet and most of the people I've seen commenting on Facebook have missed a really crucial, really critical piece of this. We have no clue how the entire episode played out with the Honor Code office. I think most outlets have had one line that says something like, "Davies admitted to having premarital sex with his girlfriend," and then it is followed with information about his suspension. This evokes an image of someone just walking into the HCO one day and saying, "I had sex with my girlfriend," and the HCO proceeded to suspend him immediately. With that in mind, I guess I can see why there is any controversy. With that scene played out, it seems like he is being hung out to dry. But, I seriously doubt that the entire instance played out that way. In fact, I am sure most people have no clue regarding even the most important details about the situation. I feel like there's nothing to say about the HCO's handling of it other than, "We don't really know how well or poorly they handled the situation because we really don't know about it."

I guess if one were at either end of an extreme, they could be annoyed with the HCO's actions. If you think the HCO shouldn't suspend anyone at all for non-academic violations then I guess this whole episode would provoke your spite.

EDIT: and Sauron owns me again. Sorry for the dual-threading.
Last edited by wired on Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.