Dating Acronyms

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
mic0

Dating Acronyms

Post by mic0 »

I'm trying to collect as many unique-to-BYU acronyms about dating as I can for something. If you know of any beyond DTR and NCMO please let me know here. Thanks! :)
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Re: Dating Acronyms

Post by thebigcheese »

In my circle of friends, we created some variations on NCMO. For example, NCHH (non-committal hand holding). It's pronounced "nick-ha-ha"

And I don't know if people have shortened "post-date text" to PDT yet, but they certainly should.
wired

Post by wired »

thebigcheese wrote:In my circle of friends, we created some variations on NCMO. For example, NCHH (non-committal hand holding). It's pronounced "nick-ha-ha"

And I don't know if people have shortened "post-date text" to PDT yet, but they certainly should.
Rule of acronyms: If syllables of the proposed acronym, when pronounced, are equal to or greater than the syllables of the phrase it represented, do not use an acronym.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

VL

Also RM, to a degree.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

CMO
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

DTR did appear in a non-lds webseries that my friends and I have been watching
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

I also had a roommate who would frequently refer to her future EC (eternal companion).
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

Which reminds me that you could use EQP (for elders quorum president), or even better, GA.

He's totally GA material!! Good catch on the EQP!!!!
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

And then there's HT: Home teacher? Or heart throb? You decide.
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

I'm not sure if this belongs here or on the other thread, but I just saw an ad in the paper for Gold's Gym that says "NCWO" or "Non-Committal Workout." Apparently, they're doing "Free Fitness Friday" or something.
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
ahem.
Cute Shoes

Post by ahem. »

Whistler wrote:CMO
...chief medical officer?

OH! Probably committed make out. That makes more sense in a BYU dating context.
SMP

Post by SMP »

I am pretty sure that DTR is not exclusive to BYU, although I admit it may not be particularly common elsewhere.

To prove this, I did a google search. DTR has other unrelated meanings, so I did dtr "define the relationship". The first page of results refers to pages that discuss that use the acronym DTR just the way we would, but only one of the pages seems to be related to BYU in anyway. For comparison, searching NCMO gives me the impression that it is pretty much exclusive to BYU, with very little exception.

This sort of makes sense to me. I can't imagine very many people outside of BYU caring enough about a non-committal make out to bother giving it a name when no-strings-attached sex is common. On the other hand, I see no reason why student outside of BYU couldn't make use of a term like DTR.

I would be interested to know if the BYU is the origin of this term though.

BTW, I did not research this extensively, so I could be wrong.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

SMP: Interesting! Well, for my purposes it isn't a hugely important distinction, but that is still good to know. If you ever do research this more extensively maybe you could update us. ;)