IQ Test

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Defy V

Re: IQ Test

Post by Defy V »

thebigcheese wrote:
5. A rancher plans to add a post between every two posts of an open-ended (straight) fence. If he currently has 10 posts in the fence, how many does he need to insert?
Wouldn't the answer to this one be either 4 or 6? Those weren't in the answer choices...so I went with 5 instead.

And I never figured out how to unscramble this... SATAALURI

Also, this one was just...strange.
26. 18825135 is to rhyme as 1851191514 is to
A. Played
B. Ration
C. Reason
D. Tuition
18=R, 8=H, etc.

(Yay my cryptography class had some application!)
Digit

Post by Digit »

I thought it was Australia (country).
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

thebigcheese wrote:
5. A rancher plans to add a post between every two posts of an open-ended (straight) fence. If he currently has 10 posts in the fence, how many does he need to insert?
Wouldn't the answer to this one be either 4 or 6? Those weren't in the answer choices...so I went with 5 instead.
This one was worded badly, I think. It doesn't mean "every other post," it means he wants a new post between each of the old posts.

So, old posts:

O O O O O O O O O O

Old posts + new posts:

O•O•O•O•O•O•O•O•O•O

# of new posts = 9
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

Edit: stop helping while I'm still typing! ;)
Last edited by Dead Cat on Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Digit wrote:
I thought it was Australia (country).
Good work! (That one completely stumped me.)
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

Ahh, I see the light. Now we can all ace this stupid test.
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

Haha, we still haven't talked about the one that I ended up guessing on (besides the unfolded cube -- did we all just give up and guess?), which is the ... one with the X and then it changes into various things with sideways carrots (sorry, I'm at work...will edit in the image when I have a chance).
Tao

Post by Tao »

C is for wrote:Haha, we still haven't talked about the one that I ended up guessing on (besides the unfolded cube -- did we all just give up and guess?), which is the ... one with the X and then it changes into various things with sideways carrots (sorry, I'm at work...will edit in the image when I have a chance).
Image This one?
if so, quadrate the first image, so you end up with four tiles all with a diagonal slash meeting in the middle. in the second column, the bottom right tile gets rotated 90°, in the third column the top left tile gets rotated. The rows follow similar rules as the columns, which gives us our pattern.
He who knows others is clever;
He who knows himself has discernment.
He who overcomes others has force;
He who overcomes himself is strong. 33:1-4
wired

Post by wired »

Tao wrote:
C is for wrote:Haha, we still haven't talked about the one that I ended up guessing on (besides the unfolded cube -- did we all just give up and guess?), which is the ... one with the X and then it changes into various things with sideways carrots (sorry, I'm at work...will edit in the image when I have a chance).
Image This one?
if so, quadrate the first image, so you end up with four tiles all with a diagonal slash meeting in the middle. in the second column, the bottom right tile gets rotated 90°, in the third column the top left tile gets rotated. The rows follow similar rules as the columns, which gives us our pattern.
I have no clue what you just said, but here's what I did.

In each sequence (top to bottom), consider each of the four lines to run from top-left to bottom-right, or inverse of that. From the first image to the second image, the bottom left line switches directions, then from second to third, the top right line does the same thing.

The final image should be the box then.

EDIT: Re-read Tao's explanation and it made way more sense to me the second time. I think the word "quadrate" scared me off.
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

Yes, one piece of the image gets rotated 90 degrees every time. You just have to figure out which piece and follow the pattern. That puzzle is particularly interesting because it works both horizontally and vertically.

As for the folded cube, you don't really need to fold up the entire cube to figure it out. Just fold up each of the answer choices and figure out whether you should be seeing one dot or two dots on the exposed side. Then match it up with the original cube.
Foreman

Post by Foreman »

thebigcheese wrote: Also, this one was just...strange.
26. 18825135 is to rhyme as 1851191514 is to
A. Played
B. Ration
C. Reason
D. Tuition
That one's pretty easy when you realize that R is the 18th letter of the alphabet...
Talons

Post by Talons »

Are questions on an actual IQ test similar to these?
Tao

Post by Tao »

Some of them, kind of. IQ tests are adjusted to the age of the test-taker (at least up to age 18), and so questions vary quite a bit. Some of the questions I can recall had spatial awareness-type challenges (like the cube question, or the image sequence one referenced above), others were numerical memory, ("recite these numbers backwards: 2, 15, 7, 13, 4, 1, 8, 72, 33, 9, 38, 7"). Others were fairly simple, but timed ("Put these images in chronological order"). Etc.
He who knows others is clever;
He who knows himself has discernment.
He who overcomes others has force;
He who overcomes himself is strong. 33:1-4
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

Yeah, I think they do their best to try and copy some real questions...then they throw in a bunch of riddle-type questions to fill out the rest of the test. If they weren't so dang expensive, I'd like to take an actual IQ test sometime.
Digit

Post by Digit »

This isn't an actual one (they specifically say as much), but it is offered by Mensa, so it might be better than the average online test for fun.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Seb

Post by Seb »

159. I took it again out of curiosity to see what I got wrong but I can't figure it out!
Tao

Post by Tao »

Seb wrote:159. I took it again out of curiosity to see what I got wrong but I can't figure it out!
If you're fairly confidant on all of your responses, you may have found a logical loophole that such a rigid test can't handle. Also, be sure you're answering the question that is actually being asked, I answered the age question as if they were asking height. Logic was sound, reading ability: not so much.