Pulchritudinous

Re: Nine for Random Chatter, doomed to die

Post by Craig Jessop »

I HAVE TO GET OFF THIS MOUNTAIN!!!!!
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

Craig Jessop wrote:I HAVE TO GET OFF THIS MOUNTAIN!!!!!
Is this a metaphorical mountain or a real one?
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

thebigcheese... how disappointing. At least you'll make some good connections and get a feel for the industry?
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Moving adds unexpected stress. Like how I'm currently freaking out about all the Primary stuff I need to get done. I was totally going to take a nap during Dragon Baby's naptime, but suddenly I'm realizing how it's a perfect time to (at the last minute) find substitutes and get manuals to new teachers and start working on replacing other teachers and to clean out my binder and have everything ready to pass on to someone else.

My sincere hope is that they replace me soon so that I have plenty of time to train my replacement. I didn't get any training from the last president (who was only in it for 2 months anyway) and so I want to make sure they feel adequately trained. But turns out, there's a lot to do to get ready to pass everything on.

Any tips for relieving stress and just getting stuff done?
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Dragon Lady wrote:Any tips for relieving stress and just getting stuff done?
Sigh. Unfortunately, no. I feel your pain.
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

I wish I could help. My room is currently a disaster area, although the public areas of our apartment look amazing in preparation for my roommate and I's double date tonight.
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

This is my 777th post.
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

Whistler wrote:thebigcheese... how disappointing. At least you'll make some good connections and get a feel for the industry?
Yeah, I mean...my boss seems to have this grand vision that the company will grow pretty significantly, he'll be able to expand our department, and he wants me to be a part of all that. So he genuinely wants me there, and I appreciate that. I take that as a compliment. But it's really frustrating that I don't have anything to do right now. And it's hard to know if this "vision" of his is going to come to fruition any time soon...if ever.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

thebigcheese wrote:
Whistler wrote:thebigcheese... how disappointing. At least you'll make some good connections and get a feel for the industry?
Yeah, I mean...my boss seems to have this grand vision that the company will grow pretty significantly, he'll be able to expand our department, and he wants me to be a part of all that. So he genuinely wants me there, and I appreciate that. I take that as a compliment. But it's really frustrating that I don't have anything to do right now. And it's hard to know if this "vision" of his is going to come to fruition any time soon...if ever.
Are there any projects you could work on for them right now that would let you develop your skills? Can you do research or a mock-up of the kind of "real" work you'd like to be doing?
Rifka

Post by Rifka »

Dragon Lady wrote: My sincere hope is that they replace me soon so that I have plenty of time to train my replacement. I didn't get any training from the last president (who was only in it for 2 months anyway) and so I want to make sure they feel adequately trained. But turns out, there's a lot to do to get ready to pass everything on.
Tell your bishop that! He might not think of it on his own, but that's a really great idea. I always appreciate it when I get called to a new calling and the person who had it before me is still around to show me the ropes.
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

Katya wrote:Are there any projects you could work on for them right now that would let you develop your skills? Can you do research or a mock-up of the kind of "real" work you'd like to be doing?
I'm not sure if they'd let me do that on the clock...just because all our time is billed to specific clients under specific categories, and I'm not sure what category that could possibly fall under.

I was just thinking earlier today, I wish our team was more collaborative. Right now, it seems like the culture is to divide up all the projects and everybody just does their little assignments. If there aren't enough assignments to go around, the person at the bottom of the pecking order (me) doesn't get any work. I think collaborating helps to spread the work around. I never really know what anybody else is working on because everybody kind of keeps to themselves. Just this morning, my boss came over and asked me for ideas about something he was working on. I was shocked -- the guy hardly speaks to me, and he NEVER asks me for ideas. Not to toot my own horn, but I actually came up with some pretty slick stuff. I think he was impressed. So I'm hoping that maybe he will be more likely to do that in the future. I spent a good two hours this morning just thinking of ideas for his project, and it was probably the most fun two hours I've had in a long time...but then I went back to the stupid crap I usually do to kill time. So, in some ways, I think I could be more utilized -- but it's just not the culture that's been established. You would think a creative agency would be different, eh? Maybe I'll have a little chat with my boss about that. It's seriously like pulling teeth to get any work around here.

(I also hate the fact that my desk is super far away from everyone else in my department. I thought that was awkward from day one.)
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Rifka wrote:
Dragon Lady wrote: My sincere hope is that they replace me soon so that I have plenty of time to train my replacement. I didn't get any training from the last president (who was only in it for 2 months anyway) and so I want to make sure they feel adequately trained. But turns out, there's a lot to do to get ready to pass everything on.
Tell your bishop that! He might not think of it on his own, but that's a really great idea. I always appreciate it when I get called to a new calling and the person who had it before me is still around to show me the ropes.
Already done. Weeks ago. He said it would be his top priority, so I figure it should come soon.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

We took Dragon Baby's crib rail off today and made it a day bed. Nap time wasn't so great. She slept for maybe 30 minutes. We purposely kept her up late so that she'd fall asleep easily tonight. And she did a great job. Even crawled in bed herself. But turns out the pillows we put next to her bed in case she fell out wasn't enough. The doll house a few feet away wasn't far enough away. We heard a Crash. Scream. 15 minutes later we were at urgent care where they put 4 stitches in her eyelid. [whew] It's been an eventful weekend. I'm done with eventfulness, k?
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

In good news, she begged for us to turn her crib around (we'd turned it so the open side was facing the wall) and did well last night in her day bed and hopefully will do well (ish) during nap time. We're not starting so well, but I'm hoping once she figures out that I'm not letting her leave her room, she'll cave.
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

WILL THE SCHOOL YEAR NEVER END?!?!?!?!?!?!
beautiful, dirty, rich
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

Dragon Lady wrote:In good news, she begged for us to turn her crib around (we'd turned it so the open side was facing the wall) and did well last night in her day bed and hopefully will do well (ish) during nap time. We're not starting so well, but I'm hoping once she figures out that I'm not letting her leave her room, she'll cave.
We're still doing naps in the crib. Sometimes he naps great in his toddler bed, but sometimes it leads to crises. He loves sleeping in the big bed at night, though, and putting his stuffed animals to sleep there. Can she reach the light switch or open the doors?
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Well, the crib and the toddler bed are one and the same for us. So… we don't have that option. She can't reach the light switch, but if she puts her mind to it, she can open the door. But so far she's done pretty well at staying in there when we tell her that she can sleep in her bed, play with her toys or read books, so long as she stays in her room. But she can't leave her room. Even when she opens the door after that, she'll immediately close it again.
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

So, bob. Any birthday plans?
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

i will be landing in salt lake for the first time on june 9th. i wish i had time for some of you to come hang out with me at the airport. if i get bumped, i may request company. unless it's too far. i don't really know.
beautiful, dirty, rich
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BOB!!!!!!!