Propaganda Films in China

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
Digit

Propaganda Films in China

Post by Digit »

In this article, Fareed Zakaria mentions how only very few foreign films make it into the Chinese market, while government propaganda (their words, not mine) films are heavily marketed in addition to being mandatory in schools sometimes. I noticed this:
The Beginning of the Great Revival released last month, is an extravagantly produced, state-sponsored propaganda movie, which cost $12 million to make, a fortune by Chinese standards. The film claims to have a cast of more than 100 top Chinese actors playing an array of historical figures.

Among them Mao Tse-Tung or Chairman Mao, who's portrayed not just a revolutionary, but also as a romantic. He's played by a young Chinese heartthrob. And while that might lure in female audiences, the real message isn't about love, but politics.

The film is a pean to the Communist Party, released to honor the 90th anniversary of its founding. It describes the party's influence as having led China down a glorious path of ethnic independence, liberation, national wealth and strength. No mention of the Great Leap Forward, the famine, the Cultural Revolution, or, of course, Tiananmen Square.
It's understandable that not many people would go out of their way to show their dirty laundry in a film they spent millions of dollars to make, but besides not talking much about things like Tianamen square, do they doggedly deny to this day that the bad things (of which I'm pretty sure I've seen at least some video) even happened? Denying reality like some Flat Earth Society member is pitiful and bound to last longer than any loss of face for having done something bad and said "look, I'm man enough to admit that I did it." and thereafter improved.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Re: Propaganda Films in China

Post by NerdGirl »

Good question. I saw this on Fareed Zakaria's show yesterday (we watch him every Sunday before church) and thought it was really kind of interesting.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

I think rather than denying the bad things that happen, they either look at them and say, "Well, that happened, but we are better now," or explain away the badness. You know, saying that it was a part of the time, or it wasn't as bad as all that, etc. Anyway, there is an interesting article about a Chinese documentary from the 80's ("River Elegy") which talks a little about how that film was received and how it is virtually ignored today.

It seems to me that students are taught certain things and don't think to question them, even with the internet. Plus there is the "Great Fire Wall," and while it is true that many educated students can bypass it and learn about their history, it doesn't seem like enough of them are really doing that/care enough to go to the effort.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Thanks mic0, I think I'll try to watch River Elegy this weekend.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Okay! And if you decide it is worth watching I'll think about watching it. ;) It actually sounds pretty interesting.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

So, I know this thread is old, but maybe you'll find this article interesting. In case you didn't hear, there was a pretty big high speed rail crash in China a little bit ago. This article basically talks about how the government tried to dismiss it and make it seem like not a big deal, but through internet memes people will never forget what happened. Anyway, it is an interesting read. (http://chinageeks.org/2011/08/all-your- ... naGeeks%29)
Digit

Post by Digit »

Interesting. Coverups are probably never going to get easier. One other not nearly as critical case I remember of China getting caught by the media was during the 2008 Olympics in Beijing where a cute little girl sang a solo only for it to be discovered later that the voice was that of another little girl deemed not as pleasing to the eyes as the one seen lip synching.