Nine for Random Chatter, doomed to die

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Digit

Re: Nine for Random Chatter, doomed to die

Post by Digit »

That sounds like it will be memorable. The only thing I know how to say in Swahili is Hujambo mabibi na mabwana. which means "Hello ladies and gentlemen."
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

wow, cool beans
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Wisteria wrote:Rwanda, Uganda, and Kenya at the end of November/beginning of December. It started as a trip to Kenya to visit/work with my friend who's starting an NGO in Nairobi and escalated from there. I also just booked permits to go visit the mountain gorillas in Rwanda. High adventure, here we come!
Aaargh, I'm so excited for you! And maybe a bit jealous; I never did make it to Rwanda OR the gorillas... Let me know if you're still looking for people to sight-see with. :)
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Ooooh, ooooh. I know Swahili!

Adibu kazini. It means welcome aboard. (Is there anything The Simpsons can't teach you?)
Deus ab veritas
Emiliana

Post by Emiliana »

You probably also know "hakuna matata."
Emiliana

Post by Emiliana »

I'm substituting in a district that's about 75% Hispanic and 25% black, and my poor brain gets SO confused. I still sort of feel like I ought to be speaking Swahili (or English with a Swahili accent) to my black kids, and when I try to speak Spanish with my Hispanic kids, THAT comes out in Swahili, too...
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Spanish coming out as Swahili? Now that I'd like to hear....
Deus ab veritas
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

Heh. Me, too. And Emiliana, I would be interested in sight-seeing buddies. I'll PM you with more details about when I'll be there. I did find a travel buddy in the most random awesome way ever- I have a couple of really good friends (a married couple) that I do things with fairly often, and I mentioned that I was looking for someone to go to East Africa with me, and Brian told me he'd text his sister, who would love to do something like that. And it turned out that not only did she actually want to, but she actually decided to for real, so I have a travel buddy! But I'd love to meet up with people in Uganda who have been there for a while and know the lay of the land.
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

Also, I was going to say that there are a few other Swahili words that The Lion King might have taught you- simba means lion (go figure), and Rafiki means friend. Also, Asante sana means thank you very much. And there is a scene where Rafiki is chanting "asante sana squashed banana." I laughed out loud the first time I watched The Lion King after having been to Kenya before.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

for some reason this discussion reminds me of this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDbtSUMzBb0, which I learned at girl scount day camp. I think our song leader was Australian, since we also learned Waltzing Matilda.
yellow m&m
The Yellow One

Post by yellow m&m »

Ok, so I played Encore once at Bobs like 2 years ago. What are the rules for playing online?
Staple guns: because duct tape can't make that "kaCHUNK" noise
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

yellow m&m wrote:Ok, so I played Encore once at Bobs like 2 years ago. What are the rules for playing online?
I'll make a thread explaining the rules after dinner. Basically, don't get one wrong.
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

I just blanched tomatoes for the first time and I am in love with how easily those skins came off.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Yeah, that's one of Bob's favorite things to do. I asked her to skin some tomatoes, and she complained that it would be too much work. After I blanched them, she was so surprised by how easy it was, she always asks to do it whenever we need them.
Deus ab veritas
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I also like seeding tomatoes! Only not when I have cuts on my fingers.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

I like peeling peaches for the same reason. Except somehow I always grab the peaches that just barely not ripe. So half the peel comes off easy after blanching, and I still have to use a knife for the other part. [sigh]
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

If there's two phrases that ought to be struck from the communal republican lexicon, I nominate they be "class warfare" and "job creators."
Deus ab veritas
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Sooo, someone just joined the Quark (BYU's sci-fi and fantasy club) forums, and her username is Maddie... I want to message her and see if she is the Maddie who asked tons of questions to the Board a while back then stopped. That would be so awesome. :P
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

I climbed into bed tonight and noticed a tiny spider crawling along my blanket. I blew it away (that was my mistake, really, since I have no idea where it currently is) and now I'm still going to sleep in my bed.

Aren't I brave?

(Never mind. I found it. Or another spider just like it. It was crawling up my shirt. I wish I were smart enough to really get rid of these things before I lose track of them.)
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I have seen so many frogs today.

Also, I am in Missouri.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.