Dear John?

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Commander Keen

Re: Dear John?

Post by Commander Keen »

Defy V wrote:(This is about Question 65094 http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/65094/)
And to be fair, only 2 writers responded, and the responses to the question referred to in this question (http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/64996/) were not serious, so my sample size is skewed. But still.
What makes you think my answers weren't serious? They were completely serious.
<insert smarmy quote here>
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Wait, Tao, your marriage? As in you are married? Or as in, you aren't married because you're too hung up over it?
Genuine Article
Board Writer

Post by Genuine Article »

I have a fun story from one of my professors about waiting while on a mission.

Okay, so my professor had his niece over for dinner and during dessert she asked him what he could tell her about her mom. She said she knew her mom had been married before, but she didn't like to talk about it. My professor instantly spilled the beans. Apparently, when the mom was 20 she was dating a guy who was 19, and they had both decided to go on missions. Given their ages they'd get home around the same time, so they could wait for each other while they served and then come home and get married. Except they decided not to wait. They reasoned that if they secretly got married before they left on their missions, it would help them wait for each other, because there would be a bond to keep them together even though they were apart. So they got married, didn't consummate anything, and went ahead with their mission plans as though nothing had happened. Then, in his interview with his stake president, the guy casually brought up the fact that he had gotten married. He honestly thought it was no big deal. The stake president told him it was a very big deal and that there was no way either of them were serving a mission if they were married. Married people do not leave each other to go serve missions, so it was now their responsibility to go be married and live together. Which they did. They had a kid (my professor's niece) and were married for about ten years before they got divorced.

Crazy, right? What kind of idiot thinks it's okay to secretly get married and then go on a mission?
mic0

Post by mic0 »

That's so strange. They didn't consummate the marriage, either, which is just plain interesting! Like, they had thought it through far enough that they thought it was okay to get married, but to actually have sex they couldn't go on the mission. I so want to talk to them when they were deciding to do this and hear the whole thought process. :P
Tao

Post by Tao »

Dragon Lady wrote:Wait, Tao, your marriage? As in you are married? Or as in, you aren't married because you're too hung up over it?
Heh, yeah I got married back in July; we're still in the settling down phase, trying to get majors and career schedules figured out.
He who knows others is clever;
He who knows himself has discernment.
He who overcomes others has force;
He who overcomes himself is strong. 33:1-4
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Tao wrote:
Dragon Lady wrote:Wait, Tao, your marriage? As in you are married? Or as in, you aren't married because you're too hung up over it?
Heh, yeah I got married back in July; we're still in the settling down phase, trying to get majors and career schedules figured out.
Wow, way to keep THAT a secret! Or are DL and I the only oblivious ones ... ?
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

No, you aren't. He did not mention it to anyone on here.
Deus ab veritas
Defy V

Post by Defy V »

Commander Keen wrote:
Defy V wrote:(This is about Question 65094 http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/65094/)
And to be fair, only 2 writers responded, and the responses to the question referred to in this question (http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/64996/) were not serious, so my sample size is skewed. But still.
What makes you think my answers weren't serious? They were completely serious.
Your answer sort of reminded me of Tickle Me Elmo. In a good way.

And congrats, Tao!
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Yes, congrats. :)
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

pshh I stalk Tao so I totes knew about it