Stealing my slogan?

Your chance to pontificate on the subject of your choice. (Please keep it PG-rated.)
krebscout

Stealing my slogan?

Post by krebscout »

So I have a little business. My business was once featured on a fairly prominent website, which got me a lot of new customers.

Today, on that same website, I see somebody else featured offering the exact same service. Which is unfortunate for me, but other people can have similar ideas, that's understandable. Except when I go to their website, I see my slogan plastered across the top.

Why would anyone ever think it's a good idea to copy a business, advertise that business in the same venue, AND steal the slogan?

This is more venting than anything else. Thanks for listening.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Re: Stealing my slogan?

Post by Katya »

:(
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

hmmm... I'd consider e-mailing them and asking them to change their slogan, but yeah, that is pretty stinky of them.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Aw, man! I'm sorry. I hate it when that happens. I haven't had anyone copy our slogan yet, though it isn't widely known. I do have people whose entire shops are based around products they copied from us, though.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
wired

Post by wired »

Depending on the uniqueness of the slogan, how long you've used it, etc. you could have an intellectual property claim. You might consider sending a cease and desist if you think it's worth it.
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

Thanks for the sympathy, guys. Turns out the lady's a BYUI grad, and she's never heard of my company before. She didn't even "invent" the slogan - her web designer did. So whether her web designer was copying me or not, well, I guess it's possible she came up with the exact same slogan I did.

But I talked to the lady, she was very nice, and she's taking the slogan down. So at least I can feel a little vindicated.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

yeah. People on the internet are humans! They can sometimes be reasoned with.