Awesome presents we gave other people

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Awesome presents we gave other people

Post by Katya »

Krebscout requested this thread, so here it is!
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Re: Awesome presents we gave other people

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Now here's a thread I want to participate in! (My sister had to remind me of what Christmas presents I got, and I only put that much effort in so I could also make the comment about baths.)

The one I think I am the most proud of was a little crochet zombie I purchased on Etsy. It went to my aunt who LOVES zombies (and liked them even before they were cool) and the best part was that it had a detached arm with "bone" sticking out of it.

I gave my sister a bunch of Dr. Who pins, which she loved. She's been trying to watch all of the series, starting with the very first black-and-white stuff.

I gave my brothers a starter deck and the first expansion pack for Munchkin. They both like roleplaying and have been in D&D groups.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Agreed with bob, I like this thread. :D We were on vacation the week before Christmas, and before that I was just so busy with school and things I didn't get Mr. Mico any presents. So, during vacation I snuck off to the hotel gift shop and got him some little things (a stuffed turtle and a wooden airplane (we like toys...)). They weren't the best gifts, but they were a complete surprise so it was a lot of fun when I pulled them out of my suitcase back in Provo.
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

I didn't really have much of a budget. For Christmas presents I took my two best friends to see my third best friend's play, White Christmas.

And on Christmas day I gave three Christmas cards, one to my best friend who let me ask his mom if I could spend my Christmas with them, one to his mom and step-dad, and one to his grandparents whose house we actually spent Christmas at.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

I don't know that I gave any exceptionally awesome presents this year, but a couple of years ago I got my mom an autographed picture of Jeanne Cooper, who plays Katherine Chancellor on the Young and the Restless, which we are both huge fans of (she has been watching it since it started, which was about 40 years ago). And Katherine Chancellor is her favorite character and Jeanne Cooper is one of her favorite actors of all time. So it's kind of hard for me to top that one.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

I got my best friend a nice hardbound copy of Tristam Shandy, which I'd lost her copy of a couple of years ago. I also crocheted her a scarf, though -- that was the real present.

I was also on a pretty limited budget this year, so I made most of my gifts. Lots and lots of crocheted scarves and slightly crooked hand-stitched ornaments.
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

My daughter had repeated to anyone who asked that she wanted an "Aurora Polly Pocket, a Cinderella Polly Pocket, and a Belle Polly Pocket" for Christmas. Luckily enough I had already gotten her a set of four Princess Polly Pockets at a Black Friday sale (she was even with me at the time, but I managed to hide it under other stuff). Seeing her open those on Christmas and play with them constantly made me very happy. I made her a little bag like thisto keep them in with Princess fabric, and now they are inseperable.

My son Pizza loves his presents a lot too, but he is happy with everything that comes his way. With Shy Girl, it was fun to make such a fervent wish come true.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

My best friend is a Community fan and a medievalist who has had a somewhat rocky dating life. I gave her a "Troy and Abed in the Morning" mug and a T-shirt that says "I'm impossible to date. Just like Beowulf." (There is great disagreement regarding how old the Beowulf manuscript is, so it's "impossible to date" in that sense.)
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Katya: lol

I made my husband a denim quilt, with denim from our worn-out jeans! With a lot of help from my mom-in-law. Other gifts were from amazon wishlists.
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

I love denim quilts! They are the best. :D Good job Whistler!
[img]http://fredjikrang.petfish.net/Fence-banner.png[/img]
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

The weirdest presents I gave were to my dad and grandpa: ties with pockets.*

*Inspired by roommate's book of weird Japanese inventions.
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

I got Yellow a pi clock, which was fun. And Yellow's family does a handmade Christmas exchange. We drew his mom's name, so I made her coasters (with some help from Yellow and his sister) and some apple pie filling (which I totally forgot to give her. Maybe I should do that…) For my mom I'm organizing all of her loose recipes into binders. But I'm still not done. But that's ok, because I'm not giving it to her till after her mission. So I've got till April to finish.
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

I was also on a tight budget (story of my life) so i made my friends ornaments this year. i got wooden snowflakes at hobby lobby and then decorated them with paint, stickers, glitter glue, etc. it was a lot of fun. the best one i made was for my former roommate who loves hello kitty. it put a bow made of glitter glue on her snowflake.
beautiful, dirty, rich
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

I painted a portrait of our children for Sauron, gave him the original, and then gave prints to both my parents and his. I made two reversible Batman/Superman capes - one for our son and one for our daughter. They wear them constantly, though my daughter still doesn't quite understand what it means. We got my son his first Star Wars action figures, which we got for an excellent price (we lost Anakin on the plane ride home, though), and I made my daughter a small plastic light table and gave her some colored plastic gems, a prism, and plastic colored light filter sheets to play with on top of it. It's kind of a mesmerizing toy, and I think I'm as into it as she is. We also gave our kids new shoes and socks, a train whistle, and a metal kazoo to replace the plastic one that broke.

As for siblings, Sauron gave one of his sister some accessories for her new computer and his other sisters a bunch of movies he got on Black Friday. For my sister's family (we got her in the name draw), I made a coloring book of their family in photoshop, replacing faces on coloring book pages I found on the internet with their faces. My brother-in-law as the Mona Lisa and my niece as Moses were my favorites. It was a fantastic zero-dollar-budget gift if I do say so myself.

I also gave Sauron Synecdoche, New York (one of his very favorites) on Bluray... and a bunch of brown paper bags for his lunches with drawings and messages from me and the kids written on them. Our anniversary is the day after Christmas, and I got him Scott Pilgrim. It was a good holiday season.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

krebscout is awesome as usual
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

aw thanks friend