Great Talks or Articles

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
wired

Great Talks or Articles

Post by wired »

Hey everybody. I enjoy reading and I enjoy other board members' insights. I figured I should combine the two and start a rolling thread that recommends church talks or articles that are of particular interest. They don't have to be church related - they might be philosophy or even government. Anything that gets the mind turning.

I'll start off with a recent devotional that, for some reason, I didn't attend. It's a 2009 devotional from Elder Holland:

http://speeches.byu.edu/reader/reader.p ... 2&x=54&y=7

Particular highlight:
There is something in us, at least in too many of us, that particularly fails to forgive and forget earlier mistakes in life—either mistakes we ourselves have made or the mistakes of others. That is not good. It is not Christian. It stands in terrible opposition to the grandeur and majesty of the Atonement of Christ. To be tied to earlier mistakes—our own or other people’s—is the worst kind of wallowing in the past from which we are called to cease and desist.

I was told once of a young man who for many years was more or less the brunt of every joke in his school. He had some disadvantages, and it was easy for his peers to tease him. Later in his life he moved away from his community. He eventually joined the army and had some successful experiences there in getting an education and generally stepping away from his past. Above all, as many in the military do, he discovered the beauty and majesty of the Church and became very active and happy in it.

Then, after several years, he came back to the town of his youth. Most of his generation had moved on, but not all. Apparently when he returned quite successful and quite reborn, the same old mind-set that had existed before was still there, waiting for his return. To the people in his hometown he was still just old “so and so”—you remember the guy who had the problem, that idiosyncrasy, this quirky nature, and did such and such and such and such. And wasn’t it all just hilarious?

Well, you know what happened. Little by little this man’s Pauline effort to leave that which was behind and grasp the prize that God had laid before him was gradually diminished until he died about the way he had lived in his youth. He came full circle: again inactive and unhappy and the brunt of a new generation of jokes. Yet he had had that one bright, beautiful midlife moment when he had been able to rise above his past and truly see who he was and what he could become. Too bad, too sad, that he was again to be surrounded by a whole batch of Lot’s wives, those who thought his past was more interesting than his future. Yes, they managed to rip out of his grasp that for which Christ had grasped him.
Dead Cat
Completed

Re: Great Talks or Articles

Post by Dead Cat »

I'm not sure if this really belongs on this thread, but in Sacrament Meeting today, one of the speakers gave the best talk on Emer I have ever heard.
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

wired, that's one of my all-time favorite devotionals ever given!

I was reading this thought-provoking talk this morning: The Fulness of Times
Digit

Post by Digit »

wired wrote:Hey everybody. I enjoy reading and I enjoy other board members' insights. I figured I should combine the two and start a rolling thread that recommends church talks or articles that are of particular interest. They don't have to be church related - they might be philosophy or even government. Anything that gets the mind turning.
I just read an article about Gerda Weissmann Klein on Smithsonianmag.com. She was a woman who overcame huge adversity as a Holocaust survivor. I was impressed by the clear thought her father exhibited at a surely stressful moment when he thought ahead to make her wear her skiing boots in the middle of June.
I was 15 years old, and it was similar to a tsunami when my life that I knew and loved was irrevocably taken away. I lived first in the basement of our home with my parents. My brother was taken away immediately, and, when I was 18, I was separated from my parents never to see any member of my family again. I was in a succession of slave labor and concentration camps. At the end, as Germany was losing the war, our conditions, of course, became much worse. We were on a forced death march.
My father made me wear my skiing boots when I left home in June. I remember arguing. I said, “Papa, skiing shoes in June?” My father said, “I want you to wear them,” and, of course, you didn’t argue with your father in those days. So I wore them, and they were instrumental in saving my life on that winter’s march. We started with 2,000 girls. There were 120 left on liberation day, which was May 7, 1945.
Very sobering stuff.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

I downloaded the mp3 of this and I listen to it all the time. At least once a week, probably:
http://speeches.byu.edu/reader/reader.php?id=8501
wired

Post by wired »

An oldy, but a goody. Leadership v. Management.

http://speeches.byu.edu/reader/reader.p ... 3&x=42&y=1
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

wired wrote:An oldy, but a goody. Leadership v. Management.

http://speeches.byu.edu/reader/reader.p ... 3&x=42&y=1
I quoted that one to my dad when I graduated high school.
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

"Discovering Truth" by Henry B. Eyring. You can get an mp3 of it here: http://speeches.byu.edu/?act=viewitem&id=294 There's a great part where he talks about reading a physics textbook and having the Holy Ghost testify that what he is reading is true.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

NerdGirl wrote:"Discovering Truth" by Henry B. Eyring. You can get an mp3 of it here: http://speeches.byu.edu/?act=viewitem&id=294 There's a great part where he talks about reading a physics textbook and having the Holy Ghost testify that what he is reading is true.
One of my most powerful spiritual experiences, ever, was in the middle of a physics lecture. I almost started crying during a video and then looked around to see that everyone else was just taking notes / sleeping / reading. I can remain stoic through most Church videos, but apparently not during physics videos. ;)
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

Here's a talk relevant to the fact that GD is BoM again:

http://lds.org/ensign/1976/09/daddy-donna-and-nephi

--Jasper Fforde
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

Is it just me, or is this most recent Ensign extra good? Everything I've read so far has been so genuine and honest and insightful.
Indefinite Integral

Post by Indefinite Integral »

I heard a snippet of this on classical 89 and was so glad when it was in BYU magazine so I could find out who gave it and when. It is His Grace is Sufficient by Brad Wilcox. It gave me a whole different angle for viewing the atonement. You should all read it. Then come back and discuss it with me.

Link: http://speeches.byu.edu/?act=viewitem&id=1966&tid=2
"The pursuit of mathematics is a divine madness of the human spirit." ~ Alfred North Whitehead
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

It's one of my favorites. I've had it on my phone since the week it was given over the summer. Definitely what I needed to hear during that point of my life.