Entirely Viewed TV Shows

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Indefinite Integral

Re: Entirely Viewed TV Shows

Post by Indefinite Integral »

Am I the only one here who has never watched the entire series of anything? I'm pretty positive that there is not one single show I have seen every episode of. Gilmore Girls is probably the closest because roommates of mine in college went through the DVDs while I was living with them, but sometimes I had to study instead of watching episodes with them.
"The pursuit of mathematics is a divine madness of the human spirit." ~ Alfred North Whitehead
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

Indefinite Integral wrote:Am I the only one here who has never watched the entire series of anything? I'm pretty positive that there is not one single show I have seen every episode of. Gilmore Girls is probably the closest because roommates of mine in college went through the DVDs while I was living with them, but sometimes I had to study instead of watching episodes with them.
Don't feel bad. All the shows I listed I've watched in the last year.

We never really did TV at my house until after I came home from college, so I can absolutely respect and admire your ... lack of TV show completion.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

The more we talk about Lois and Clark, the more convinced I am that I havent actually seen all of them. So no. You're not the only one.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

TheAnswerIs42 wrote:
Dragon Lady wrote:I think I watched all the episodes of The New Adventures of Lois and Clark growing up. But it's quite possible we missed some on TV.

I feel really lame now.
LOL! I was quite certain there were no shows I had seen entirely . . . until you mentioned Lois and Clark. That one I know for certain. I was a teeny bit obsessed with that show, and never would have missed an episode so I could discuss it with my (also obsessed) friends the next day. So, I guess we can feel lame together. Katya is right though, they really jumped the shark when he proposed.
For a long time, I couldn't put my finger on why the writing went downhill so fast after they got engaged. Then I listened to an episode of Writing Excuses where they talked about how to write conflicts for characters who are immortal or invulnerable, since they can't die or get injured. The podcasters said that you had to give them something else to care about besides their own life, such as their family members or possessions.

Although it was technically possible for Clark/Superman to be killed or injured, the majority of L&C episodes didn't have kryptonite or a Superman clone, etc. as a threat. Instead, the ongoing conflict was Clark's messy personal life, which actually got worse the more he saved the world as Superman. Once that was all sorted out (first by Lois finding out about Clark's secret identity and then by their engagement), the central conflict was suddenly gone, and the writers had to scramble to bring in outside conflicts to replace it (such as Lois' 3(!)-part amnesia episode and the Kryptonian civil war).

There was one pretty solid episode in the 4th season where a reporter caught Lois making out with Superman and published photographs under the assumption that she was having an affair. (So, Clark's secret identity once again screws up his personal life.)

We now take you back to your regularly-scheduled discussion of TV shows you've seen. :)
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

I've seen far too many shows in their entirety.
In no particular order:

Pushing Daisies
Charmed
Malcolm in the Middle
Better off Ted
Raising Hope
Once upon a Time
Grimm
How I met your mother
Big Bang Theory
Arrested Development
X-Files
Friends
Community
Modern Family
Psych
Bones
Castle
Veronica Mars
Firefly
Jericho
30 Rock
Gilmore Girls

I'm positive I'm missing a few shows on that list.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I'm with you and DL, II.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

Oh, IT Crowd and Flight of the Conchords.

Yeah this is kind of shameful.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Mad Men
Glee
ETA: Game of Thrones
Humble Master

Post by Humble Master »

Oh and Rubicon. What a great short-lived show that was.
bismark
Old Man

Post by bismark »

Battlestar Galatica
Mad Men
Community
Arrested Development
Firefly
Game of Thrones
Kings
Downton Abbey
Tao

Post by Tao »

Hmm, ST:TNG (mostly), Firefly (sans Serenity). I'm maybe a handful to a dozen episodes shy of seeing all of The Pretender.

ooo! and the first season of Top Shot on the History Channel! (yay for free shows online!)
He who knows others is clever;
He who knows himself has discernment.
He who overcomes others has force;
He who overcomes himself is strong. 33:1-4