Stuff we're reading / watching / listening to

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
C is for
um Administrator

Re: Stuff we're reading / watching / listening to

Post by C is for »

Did you like Tuesdays at the Castle? I didn't, but somewhere in the acknowledgments she hinted that another Princess book is on the way. I liked that part.

Since this thread exists I'm actually going to start looking at my books each month and recommending the ones worth reading. If anyone wants to see my full booklist, well, you can find it.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

C is for wrote:Did you like Tuesdays at the Castle? I didn't, but somewhere in the acknowledgments she hinted that another Princess book is on the way. I liked that part.
I did like it. I think it was my favorite of hers, so far (that or tied with Princess of the Midnight Ball). What didn't you like about it? Also, the next Princess book is Princess of the Silver Woods, which looks to be a retelling of Little Red Riding Hood, judging by the cover: http://www.librarything.com/work/12179677
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

I watched Warrior last night with some of my roommates. I thought it was a pretty good movie. :-)
[img]http://fredjikrang.petfish.net/Fence-banner.png[/img]
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

Katya wrote:
C is for wrote:Did you like Tuesdays at the Castle? I didn't, but somewhere in the acknowledgments she hinted that another Princess book is on the way. I liked that part.
I did like it. I think it was my favorite of hers, so far (that or tied with Princess of the Midnight Ball). What didn't you like about it? Also, the next Princess book is Princess of the Silver Woods, which looks to be a retelling of Little Red Riding Hood, judging by the cover: http://www.librarything.com/work/12179677
I felt like the characters had no depth to them, the plot was confusing, and generally everything about it was shallow. It's the kind of book I hope my young kids read and love because it sparks their imagination, but it didn't do much for me. Perhaps part of the problem was I'd already read some really good books that month, and it also came with other books I'd been more excited for, so in comparison to those I suppose I was disappointed. But maybe I should read it again.

The other night I accidentally watched Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules. And I accidentally liked it. (I definitely like it better than the first one.)
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

I read The Glass Castle for book club this month. I had to keep reminding myself that it was real and not the product of an over-active imagination. I can't even fathom parents like that. And from the little bit said in the book club Facebook group, there are people I know with worse stories. It makes me so grateful for my parents and makes me want to give my girls extra hugs every day and make sure they have a childhood to be proud of. I'm just impressed at how well the kids in the book turned out. Except the one. And ironically, she had the easiest life of the four kids. Has anyone else read it?
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

I've also read the first two Leven Thumps books and am working on #3. I'm also listening to the audiobook of Persuasion by Jane Austen.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I am reading about called _The Rise of Videogame Zinesters_. It's a little disorganized from an academic standpoint, but maybe it's a more feminist way of writing? I can't tell.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Fredjikrang wrote:I watched Warrior last night with some of my roommates. I thought it was a pretty good movie. :-)
I've heard very good things about that movie, but it's not my type of film, genre-wise, so I haven't watched it. Maybe I should give it a chance.
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

While I've actually never seen any of the Rocky movies, I'm guessing that they are pretty similar to Warrior.
Tao

Post by Tao »

Finally got my hands on a copy of Hunger Games, now to find time to tuck it away....
He who knows others is clever;
He who knows himself has discernment.
He who overcomes others has force;
He who overcomes himself is strong. 33:1-4
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

Okay, I watched the Hunger Games. I wasn't going to, but I also wasn't going to turn down an invitation to be social.

And then I remembered that I did, actually, like the first book. It was the other two where I got bored. So I liked the movie too.
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

Just saw the first two episodes of The Legend of Korra. I'm going to like this spin-off, I think.
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

Oo. I need to watch those.

I am definitely not going to bed on time today. . .
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

Dead Cat wrote:Just saw the first two episodes of The Legend of Korra. I'm going to like this spin-off, I think.
Absolutely agree! I just watched them and I'm way excited now! :D I was a little worried at first, but it looks amazing.
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

Happy birthday to my Sauron.
Digit

Post by Digit »

There's an article in the March 2012 issue of Popular Science about one Taylor Wilson, a 16 year old from Reno who has built his own fusion reactor (less than breakeven of course, but what pedant would dismiss what he has done because of that?) at age 14 and has a patent on a type of radiation detector that costs a few hundred to make instead of hundreds of thousands that traditional Cherenkov detectors cost to make. Pretty neat.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

krebscout wrote:Happy birthday to my Sauron.
Is that a book or movie? ;) And happy birthday, Sauron!
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

I was wondering that same thing DL. ;D

Happy birthday Sauron!

Just watched the Percy Jackson movie. Not even close to the same story as the book, but okay.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I just started watching something, but I am far too ashamed to admit what.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

don't worry, I am totally into Hikaru no Go which is an anime about playing GO, I am not sure if it gets nerdier than that