#67439 - Wedding rings

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

#67439 - Wedding rings

Post by Katya »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/67439/

I have a friend who plans to buy a new (very cheap*) wedding ring every year so that she can wear a different one as often as she likes.

*I.e., maybe $25. She's not the platinum and diamonds type.
mic0

Re: #67439 - Wedding rings

Post by mic0 »

That's such a cute idea. I only feel minimal sentimental attachment to my ring, so I wouldn't mind getting a different one someday.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I was once fond of saying that I would, when the time came, just switch to wearing rings on the left ring finger and make sure to wear one every day. I later conceded that I do like the idea of having a special and constant ring, but it may change anyway because I am very good at misplacing things. For that reason and others, I also don't want an expensive ring.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

mic0 wrote:That's such a cute idea.
Seriously. Think of all the cute etsy rings you could buy. (Including duct tape rings!)
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Yes, duct tape makes great engagement/wedding rings! ; )

In related news, we actually are working on a wedding right now, and it's probably going to be awesome.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

bobtheenchantedone wrote:Yes, duct tape makes great engagement/wedding rings! ; )

In related news, we actually are working on a wedding right now, and it's probably going to be awesome.
Seriously? That's awesome. (Is she doing a duct tape wedding dress? I've heard duct tape doesn't actually breathe all that well.)
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

I think it's a good idea to have at least one extra ring, if only for the times when your fingers are puffy from pregnancy and stuff.
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

Also, a duct tape wedding ring sounds awesome!
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
Defy V

Post by Defy V »

Dead Cat wrote:I think it's a good idea to have at least one extra ring, if only for the times when your fingers are puffy from pregnancy and stuff.
True that! I don't have an extra ring and have the fortune of looking eternally 14 years old, and sometimes I feel self-conscious walking around with a giant pregnant belly and no ring. I'm counting on my 14-year-old-looking face looking wholesome enough to dispel any doubt. :)
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

Defy V wrote:
Dead Cat wrote:I think it's a good idea to have at least one extra ring, if only for the times when your fingers are puffy from pregnancy and stuff.
True that! I don't have an extra ring and have the fortune of looking eternally 14 years old, and sometimes I feel self-conscious walking around with a giant pregnant belly and no ring. I'm counting on my 14-year-old-looking face looking wholesome enough to dispel any doubt. :)
Marduk, this is directed at you for always thinking she looks 14.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

I'm not even sure who she is. You'll have to bring her to the party so I can make a judgment call.
Deus ab veritas
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Katya wrote:
bobtheenchantedone wrote:Yes, duct tape makes great engagement/wedding rings! ; )

Seriously? That's awesome. (Is she doing a duct tape wedding dress? I've heard duct tape doesn't actually breathe all that well.)
We're working on flowers for accessories and corsages and that sort of thing. The dresses, as far as I know, are going to be a little more traditional.

And yes, duct tape does not breathe well; that's what my sister wore to prom last year and she did not have a good time of it. This year's duct tape prom dress was made in cloth and then taped over, and though I haven't gotten a full report on it I'd assume it was much more wearable. Also much easier to make, and it hung better.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

bobtheenchantedone wrote:And yes, duct tape does not breathe well; that's what my sister wore to prom last year and she did not have a good time of it. This year's duct tape prom dress was made in cloth and then taped over, and though I haven't gotten a full report on it I'd assume it was much more wearable. Also much easier to make, and it hung better.
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/201 ... oung-woman

Did you hear about this story? The cardboard dress is cute, but I'm actually much more impressed with her pull tab dress from last year. It's got a gorgeous drape.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

I'd seen that, but never actually looked at it. The pull tab dress is much better.
Portia

Post by Portia »

I have very small fingers (5.5) and rings rarely fit well. I love jewelry and wear it every day but never got much into rings. Too bad a nice pair of diamond earrings or necklace couldn't have the same cultural significance.
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

Portia wrote:I have very small fingers (5.5) and rings rarely fit well. I love jewelry and wear it every day but never got much into rings. Too bad a nice pair of diamond earrings or necklace couldn't have the same cultural significance.
Me too! Actually, my 5.5 was too big for a while, so I stopped wearing my wedding ring for a long time in fear that it would wiggle off one day. I just barely started wearing it again. I always wore something though - it isn't easy, but I have found a few size 5 rings over the years.
Sky Bones
Board Writer

Post by Sky Bones »

42, the same thing happened to me. I stopped wearing my engagement ring and wedding band for a while (almost 3 years) because suddenly they were slightly too big. They started to fit fairly nicely again during pregnancy though I only wore my band. With the weather warming up hopefully my band will still fit nicely-- it practically slides off when I'm too cold.

Even still, I've never really felt the desire to get a different ring, mostly because I don't feel weird or anything going out without a ring. (shrug) Maybe it has something to do with my location, too.
Genuine Article
Board Writer

Post by Genuine Article »

I don't care much for jewelry, so I have a wedding ring, but I haven't worn it for a few years.
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

I was ring size 6, but it's so loose now that it rotates so the stones dangle on the underside of my finger while I type. It may well fly off one of these days when I'm flinging my arms about. I was thinking about having it resized, but that may cost almost as much as the ring did. Haven't thought about a new one. I'll have to look into that.
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

Since we're just talking about ring sizes, I'm pretty sure I'm a size 4.5.

Just, you know, for future reference.

(Also for future reference, I like pretty rings but I mostly like small ones. I am not directing this at anyone in particular.)