"Reserving" a Twitter name

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

"Reserving" a Twitter name

Post by Katya »

So, I'd like to change my Twitter username, but the one I have in mind will only make sense if a certain, um, project* I'm working on works out, and I won't know about that for a few months. My brother suggested setting up a dummy Twitter account with that username, then changing the name on that account, thus freeing up the original one for me to use on my "real" account. Is there any reason to think that wouldn't work?

*All right, just between us, I want to reserve @MRSJOSEPHGORDON-LEVITT
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Re: "Reserving" a Twitter name

Post by Imogen »

you're marrying joseph gordon-levitt?!
beautiful, dirty, rich
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Imogen wrote:you're marrying joseph gordon-levitt?!
No fair! I saw him first!
Deus ab veritas
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Marduk wrote:
Imogen wrote:you're marrying joseph gordon-levitt?!
No fair! I saw him first!
I'll fight you all!

(No, I am not really marrying Joseph Gordon-Levitt, mainly because @MRSJOSEPHGORDON-LEVITT is too long to be a Twitter handle. Does anyone have any insights regarding the actual question?)
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

Post by Laser Jock »

I can't think of any reason that wouldn't work, though if you have any followers on your current one you'd want to give them a heads-up so they don't wonder "Who is this random person I didn't know I was following?" (I haven't actually tried this, though, so I don't know if there's a "waiting period" before someone else can claim a name that was in use, the way Blogger does for deleted blogs.)

You could also just keep your current username and use the new one for this project, but it sounds like you're not a fan of that option. (Also, what if people find and follow the new/placeholder account before you pull the switch?)
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Laser Jock wrote:I can't think of any reason that wouldn't work, though if you have any followers on your current one you'd want to give them a heads-up so they don't wonder "Who is this random person I didn't know I was following?" (I haven't actually tried this, though, so I don't know if there's a "waiting period" before someone else can claim a name that was in use, the way Blogger does for deleted blogs.)
Good thought. I'll look into that.
Laser Jock wrote:You could also just keep your current username and use the new one for this project, but it sounds like you're not a fan of that option.
If it pans out, the project will be ongoing, so I'd effectively be "rebranding" myself with new name. (I'm finding my current Twitter name has some unexpected disadvantages, which is part of the reason I'm looking to switch.)
Laser Jock wrote:(Also, what if people find and follow the new/placeholder account before you pull the switch?)
I'm not going to tweet anything from that account, so anyone who finds it and follows it is probably just a spambot, anyway. (I won't put my real name with it, so no one will know that it's me.)