boots

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
Portia

boots

Post by Portia »

I have never had a stylish, proper pair of boots. Our autumns are sadly short in Utah, but I feel like as I near 25, I ought to take this step. Unfortunately, if I were to make a list of things I enjoy shopping for, it'd look something like this:

1.-10. books
11. smoothies
12. accessories
13. cosmetics
14. more books
1,196: shoes

So I think I'd want them delivered from Amazon. I just don't even really care: and the more fashionable ones have heels, but I walk everywhere. Can't I just wear flats with tights forever? :-| Boots seem very popular with the smart set around here, but of course those ladies usually have a toddler, a newborn, an SUV, and I don't think enjoy book shopping. ;)

Also keep in mind I have the calf muscle development of either a lifelong dancer or MLS player (take a guess which.)
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Re: boots

Post by Katya »

I have a pair of dress boots from L.L. Bean, which I adore, because the heel is reasonable and they have tread on the bottom, so I can still walk on ice and snow in them. (I cannot tell you how many pairs of boots I looked through that had zero tread on the bottom! I live in Maine, people, I need boots that are functional, not just decorative.)
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Also, there are boots (from Lands' End, maybe?) that are made with a wider calf for people with more muscular calves. (I always get disappointed when I see those because I have wide feet, and for a second I get excited and think that they'll fit me.)
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

Portia wrote: Also keep in mind I have the calf muscle development of either a lifelong dancer or MLS player (take a guess which.)
Not to force you into shopping at a store or anything, but I have found boot shopping a lot more difficult than shoe shopping because of the calf. Sometimes a pair of boots fit me perfectly in the foot but won't zip up around my calf, and sometimes it is the opposite. Maybe Katya is onto something with the "wide calf" boots, but I don't know. I personally get much more frustrated with returning things I got online than just going to a store and trying them on. Not to mention, I am really bad at knowing if something will look good or bad on my by looking at it- gotta try it on, in my book. If you don't care much, I recommend Ross for a cheap selection. That's where I have gotten boots in the past, including one pair without a heel.

And for the record, I like book shopping too, even if I fit the rest of your description.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I love shoes! I also have yet to find a really good, fashionable and functional boot but I might have to check out LL Bean now :-). I really wanted galoshes, but sadly my foot was too high for them. I ended up getting a pair like this (http://www.rei.com/product/771940/sorel ... ots-womens) that zips up and doesn't have the weird frill on top. They're a little overboard... I wanted something I could sled in and hike around in snow with. Really good boots are expensive though... I guess let us know if you find a good pair!
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

I also hate shopping for shoes, but I have mastered the art of pretending that I love it so that I can fit in with other people.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Good advice, everyone. I need a job before I embark on this. I've spent most this week sleeping in, staying up way too late, and messing around with my boyfriend or hanging out with my family. Adulthood (+shoe shopping) is hard.

You studied math, 42, you're by definition not one of "those ladies." ;)