Never Coming Back?

Re: Stuff we're reading / watching / listening to

Post by Fredjikrang »

Yeah, that part is a bit awkward. The rest is really good though. :D
[img]http://fredjikrang.petfish.net/Fence-banner.png[/img]
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

Just saw Castaway on the Moon, which Netflix recommended to me. Loved it. Think Castaway, but with the feel (though not the outrageous visual style) of Amelie or Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Watch it on Netflix instant while you can, since I just looked on Amazon, and they don't have any copies to sell.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

Someone in one of my classes last year started a pretty funny blog about BYU
yayfulness
Board Writer

Post by yayfulness »

That is hilarious.
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

Are there any other Mormon Stories podcast listeners here? Because I just have to spread the good word...I love them.
Craig Jessop
Pulchritudinous

Post by Craig Jessop »

I listen to them. I have to admit I'm not the biggest John Dehlin fan, though.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

I watched Amazing Grace, which I greatly enjoyed (especially since I only knew Benedict Cumberbatch from Sherlock).

I also finished Good Omens, which I liked, but not as much as I've liked the work of either author on his own.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I have tried three times to finish Good Omens, but have never gotten farther than the first few chapters.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

bobtheenchantedone wrote:I have tried three times to finish Good Omens, but have never gotten farther than the first few chapters.
I read the beginning very quickly, but slowed down towards the middle and kind of had to make myself finish it. I honestly think I might have enjoyed it more if I hadn't read the work of either Pratchett or Gaiman beforehand. As it was, I kept expecting it to settle firmly down into the style of one or the other of them (probably more Pratchett) and I got a bit frustrated that it didn't.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

I just finished "The Way of Kings". While I'm not sure I liked reading it as much as I did Mistborn, I have a much greater desire to read the next one. I found the characters much more compelling, the plot twists not as common, but less predictable, the scenery was incredibly more varied, and the way that all the plots are set up to tie together to resolve a problem (and.... Just kidding, no spoilers.) left me agape and thirsting for more.

So I liked everything about it better than Mistborn, but all the parts of Mistborn seemed to mesh better.

But I reserve the right to make final judgment until there's more been read by me.
Team Awesome!

Post by Team Awesome! »

Any suggestions for online reading? eBooks, safe for work sites and blogs, stuff like that. I'm really bored, but I'd rather not be caught reading internet comics all day...
Giovanni Schwartz

Brandon Sanderson has one of his full books on his website. I haven't read it yet, though I can't imagine it being not good.
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:Brandon Sanderson has one of his full books on his website. I haven't read it yet, though I can't imagine it being not good.
Warbreaker's good, but just be prepared for what I think is the deadliest Brandon Avalanche there is.
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

Craig Jessop wrote:I listen to them. I have to admit I'm not the biggest John Dehlin fan, though.
Can I ask for your thoughts on him? I'd like to get multiple viewpoints.
Craig Jessop
Pulchritudinous

Post by Craig Jessop »

krebscout wrote:
Craig Jessop wrote:I listen to them. I have to admit I'm not the biggest John Dehlin fan, though.
Can I ask for your thoughts on him? I'd like to get multiple viewpoints.
I don't like that he makes it totally acceptable to have doubts. Now don't get me wrong, it is perfectly acceptable to have doubts. But what I don't like about John Dehlin is that he makes it seem as if those who don't have these deep crises of faith over their doubts are somehow ignorant.

I also don't like how he blames the Church for everything. Okay, the Church isn't perfect. Fine. I accept that, and I even spend most of my academic efforts talking about it. But Dehlin doesn't seem to acknowledge that God calls prophets, or that those prophets are perfectly capable of doing things we don't agree with that are still inspired of God. I don't like how he makes it seem as if believing the Church is true is just one of those *wink wink, nudge nudge* things among those who REALLY know the real TRUTH about this whole operation, and the rest of us who cultivate testimonies in spite of the more unpleasant aspects about the Church, its history, its culture, and its modern practices have our heads in the sand.

Should we as a Church be more open about our doubts and crises of faith? Sure. But does John Dehlin go about it in the right way? In my opinion, no.*

*See Brooks, Joanna, for an example of how to do it in the right way.
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

As far as my understanding goes, he's not really a believer anymore so much as a self-appointed neutral arbiter for church issues and a shepherd for sheep all along the spectrum. Not that he is completely neutral all the time, but that makes some sense given that he doesn't appear to believe. I'm not really sure where he stands, because I keep listening to things out of order and he seems to change his mind a lot.

Give me more! I'm hungry for knowledge, and if you have books and blogs and podcasts that you like, lay them on me. About everything. Church history and policy and all the nitty gritty stuff. You're kind of the expert around these parts.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Marduk and my sister and I just watched This Divided State. I hate everyone's stupid face and no one will watch documentaries with me any more.

Well okay that's exaggerating. But I did find basically everyone who was in opposition to be absolutely ridiculous. Some people were level-headed enough to say that, while they didn't agree with Moore, he should be allowed to speak and even that there was good in hearing opposing viewpoints. But Hannity is still a hateful man (already had that opinion, just more confirmed now) and the guy who threatened, bribed, and finally sued the school is insane.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Interesting short video showing the process of how a Steinway piano gets hand built (which takes 11 months!). It sounds like these craftsmen have some of the best job security possible, since their job is so ultra-specialized.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

also, Steinway is super secretive about their process. Sure, they have documentaries, but they don't really explain how they do stuff, and they are kind of snobby about having separate parts to service their pianos (which are sometimes actually better and always more expensive).

And Steinways are the only piano that appreciates in value with age.
Giovanni Schwartz

Well, I once went on a tour of the Boesendorfer (sp.?) factory in Austria. They're pretty secretive, too. It was actually way cool.