Board Question #69005 - little children and the veil

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Carrapicho

Board Question #69005 - little children and the veil

Post by Carrapicho »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/69005/
Our separation from our memories of premortal life happen at birth; it's not a process of gradual forgetting.

Is there an authoritative source on this? I'm not debating it; I've just had numerous personal experiences that lead me to believe otherwise. I have also seen scripture interpreted to mean that babies remember pre-earth life but forget it by the time they're able to talk (one example: 3 Nephi 26:16, "even babes did open their mouths and utter marvelous things; and the things which they did utter were forbidden that there should not any man write them," though I recognize that isn't the only interpretation for this scripture).

I'd love to know where Concealocanth's statement comes from, as it's something I've wrestled with off and on for many years.
Concealocanth
Board Writer

Re: Board Question #69005 - little children and the veil

Post by Concealocanth »

Oh hey! I should check in here more often.
Here's a citation for you (there are plenty more statements of this, but here is a pretty straightforward one):

"Because a veil of forgetfulness was placed over our minds at birth, we have had to find a way to relearn in this life what we once knew and defended. " (Henry B. Eyring, "Preparation in the Priesthood" from Oct General Conference last year.)
Portia

Post by Portia »

Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

I would just like pop in and state that given how the veil is so often said to be thinned as people near death, I have no problems reconciling young children being particularly close to the other side and still having the veil given to them at birth.
Carrapicho

Post by Carrapicho »

Thanks, Concealocanth! I appreciate you finding that. I also like Unit of Energy's explanation, which would help explain some of those personal experiences I've had. And Portia, I'll definitely check out that blog post. Looks interesting.
Concealocanth
Board Writer

Post by Concealocanth »

No problem. :)