Can't think of a word

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
The Happy Medium

Can't think of a word

Post by The Happy Medium »

I'm writing a paper and I'm trying to think of an adjective that you could use to describe something that goes through several time periods and I feel like there's a word that describes what I'm thinking of perfectly but I just can't recall what it is. Pan-historical is the only word I can think of but I think I just made that up.

If it helps the paper I'm writing is the write up for my History of Creativity project. My project is the 12 days of Christmas from 12 different cultures and it's due on Wednesday so any help before then would be great!
mic0

Re: Can't think of a word

Post by mic0 »

Multigenerational?
wired

Post by wired »

Intergenerational? That might be more limited since it evokes primarily two different generations.
S.A.M.

Post by S.A.M. »

Transepochal, or trans-epochal sound fun.
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

I also can't think of a word. An unrelated one.

There are coming of age stories, sometimes known as bildungsroman. The main character grows, learns, becomes more mature. But in some stories, there is no character growth. Peter Pan, for example, ends the book pretty much exactly how he began it. (Though that's not a perfect example, because Wendy is the true hero, and she grows up both literally and figuratively.) Most sitcoms are like this: the characters never really change from episode to episode, or from season to season. Is there a name for THAT type of story?
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

UffishThought wrote:I also can't think of a word. An unrelated one.

There are coming of age stories, sometimes known as bildungsroman. The main character grows, learns, becomes more mature. But in some stories, there is no character growth. Peter Pan, for example, ends the book pretty much exactly how he began it. (Though that's not a perfect example, because Wendy is the true hero, and she grows up both literally and figuratively.) Most sitcoms are like this: the characters never really change from episode to episode, or from season to season. Is there a name for THAT type of story?
Hmm. That sounds sort of like what TV Tropes calls Status Quo Is God.