Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Re: Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Post by Emiliana »

I often speak a few words of Spanish to my students, or respond in English to something they said in Spanish, so that they'll think I know a lot more than I actually do.
Squirrel
Board Writer

Post by Squirrel »

Ooh! Guys! HBLL 2nd floor- Valentines day- free t-shirts and cookies! Who want's to go with me? :-D
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

As a rule, I don't drink caffiene except as medication. So, this morning when I woke up with a headache, I broke out my orange Mountain Dew and drank about ten ounces of the 20 ounce bottle. And man, I feel weird...
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

Tally M. wrote:As a rule, I don't drink caffiene except as medication. So, this morning when I woke up with a headache, I broke out my orange Mountain Dew and drank about ten ounces of the 20 ounce bottle. And man, I feel weird...
In Grade 9, I almost never drank caffeine. Half a can of coke would get me so jittery I would be visibly shaking.

Grade 10 was a difficult year emotionally and I was exhausted all the time, so I started buying a bottle of Coke from the vending machine almost every day to get me back up to somewhat normal energy levels.

Now, I have caffeine basically whenever I eat somewhere that serves it, which isn't super often, and it will occasionally make my insomnia worse when I drink it too late, but I'm pretty middle-of-the-road with its effects.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

I'm already normally hyper, so it doesn't make a significantly visible effect, but it makes just enough of an effect for me to know that I don't really like it that much.
Digit

Post by Digit »

The China National Space Administration logo looks like a mixture of the Star Trek emblem, angularized, and the Federation logo's outer ribbons. Though granted, the United Nations may be where Star Trek got that.

Heh, and I didn't even see the comparison mentioned in the article itself on the logo :)
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Craig Jessop
Pulchritudinous

Post by Craig Jessop »

Yesterday during my late night custodial gig in the RB, some dude decided that five minutes after the building closed was an ideal time to take a shower. This is awfully inconvenient for us in the way of being able to do our jobs, and it's my job to kick people out. Great. Conversation between a happily clothed man and a naked dude is ALWAYS awkward. (Locker room conversation is way less awkward if everybody is changing and stuff.) Too bad we really needed him out of there.

I asked him to leave like four times, even warning him that girls would be all over the locker room to clean in about a minute and a half, but he kept taking his sweet time to shower.* So I employed the nuclear option.

I had a girl on my crew go to the locker room door and announce her entry. There was a panicked yelp from the direction of the showers, a plea of "just a minute," and a mad dash to dry and change. Less than two minutes later the kid was fully clothed and hurrying for the exit.

Moral of the story? DON'T START SHOWERING AFTER THE BUILDING HAS BEEN CLOSED FOR A REASONABLE AMOUNT OF TIME. OR ELSE.

*I've never understood the impulse to really dilly dally in public showers. I've used the RB showers my fair share of times, but I've never really understood the appeal of spending an extended period of time in a lukewarm shower in the presence of other naked dudes. Apparently some guys disagree, but I digress.
Squirrel
Board Writer

Post by Squirrel »

Hey Kitty- I'm sorry to ask this, (I searched the site, but couldn't find anything)

What is your gender, and why is your rank "completed"?
Portia

Post by Portia »

squirrel wrote:Ooh! Guys! HBLL 2nd floor- Valentines day- free t-shirts and cookies! Who want's [sic] to go with me? :-D
I approve of cookies. And tee shirts. And guerrilla editing. And free things.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Because squirrel, she said that if she had a title she would be complete.
Deus ab veritas
Portia

Post by Portia »

Lots of werf abuse both on here and on the board lately. It's a pronoun, not a noun.

Correct (but to be used sparingly): Touch your date's elbow. If werf reacts well, it's a sure sign that soon lips will be locked.
Incorrect: There's this werf ...

Damned if I'll see language drift on my watch. #boardboardpeeves #sorrydescriptivists
Squirrel
Board Writer

Post by Squirrel »

Portia wrote:
squirrel wrote:Ooh! Guys! HBLL 2nd floor- Valentines day- free t-shirts and cookies! Who want's [sic] to go with me? :-D
I approve of cookies. And tee shirts. And guerrilla editing. And free things.
Oh wow. Thanks. That apostrophe was really misbehaving, wasn't he?
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Portia wrote:#sorrydescriptivists
No you're not. You love the pointless elitism of prescriptivism.
Squirrel
Board Writer

Post by Squirrel »

Actually I was embarrassed.#blatantmisuseofapostropheonawritingchatforum
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

Oof. I've got the social regret. Every time I hang out with people I think are cool, but I don't know well enough to be totally comfortable with, I end up feeling rotten once I go home. Usually it's gone again by the next day, but today I still feel awkward.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

UffishThought wrote:Oof. I've got the social regret. Every time I hang out with people I think are cool, but I don't know well enough to be totally comfortable with, I end up feeling rotten once I go home. Usually it's gone again by the next day, but today I still feel awkward.
Aww, why do you feel rotten when you go home?
Chrysanthemum

Post by Chrysanthemum »

UffishThought wrote:Oof. I've got the social regret. Every time I hang out with people I think are cool, but I don't know well enough to be totally comfortable with, I end up feeling rotten once I go home. Usually it's gone again by the next day, but today I still feel awkward.
I totally know where you're coming from. That happens to me too.
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

Katya wrote:Aww, why do you feel rotten when you go home?
I think it's kind of like the dating point system thing in the other thread, except friendship style. This group of people is a little bit out of my friendship league, and I can't shake the feeling that I'm not selling myself well. Soon I'll have too many marks against me and I'll have to stop trying, out of common decency. Except whenever they throw some big party, which happens fairly often, I'll do what I've done before, and wrangle some moral support and go anyway, because they're so dang fun. And I float along on a happy cloud of music and silliness and nerd culture, and then once I go home worry I was TOO silly or nerdy and oh my gosh I can't dance at all, what was I thinking, trying that in public? And then I miss out on the shooting trip I was invited to that probably would have been perfectly fine because I'm cowardly and second guessing myself.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

UffishThought wrote:
Katya wrote:Aww, why do you feel rotten when you go home?
I think it's kind of like the dating point system thing in the other thread, except friendship style. This group of people is a little bit out of my friendship league, and I can't shake the feeling that I'm not selling myself well. Soon I'll have too many marks against me and I'll have to stop trying, out of common decency. Except whenever they throw some big party, which happens fairly often, I'll do what I've done before, and wrangle some moral support and go anyway, because they're so dang fun. And I float along on a happy cloud of music and silliness and nerd culture, and then once I go home worry I was TOO silly or nerdy and oh my gosh I can't dance at all, what was I thinking, trying that in public? And then I miss out on the shooting trip I was invited to that probably would have been perfectly fine because I'm cowardly and second guessing myself.
:( Well, I hope you feel better, because you're great.
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

Katya wrote:Well, I hope you feel better, because you're great.
I am, right? Maybe I should get you to write me a character reference. And I'm sure I'll be fine soon. Maybe I should take a nap! Those usually help.