Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Nap! Nap! Nap!

Also, Happy Chinese New Year, everyone!
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Re: Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Post by Emiliana »

UffishThought wrote:
Katya wrote:Aww, why do you feel rotten when you go home?
I think it's kind of like the dating point system thing in the other thread, except friendship style. This group of people is a little bit out of my friendship league, and I can't shake the feeling that I'm not selling myself well. Soon I'll have too many marks against me and I'll have to stop trying, out of common decency. Except whenever they throw some big party, which happens fairly often, I'll do what I've done before, and wrangle some moral support and go anyway, because they're so dang fun. And I float along on a happy cloud of music and silliness and nerd culture, and then once I go home worry I was TOO silly or nerdy and oh my gosh I can't dance at all, what was I thinking, trying that in public? And then I miss out on the shooting trip I was invited to that probably would have been perfectly fine because I'm cowardly and second guessing myself.
I had a group of pseudo-friends like this in college, who occasionally remembered to invite me to parties as an afterthought because they had already invited my much cooler best friend. That's why books are cooler than cool people. :)
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Emiliana wrote: That's why books are cooler than cool people. :)

+1000000
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Hey, Uffish, I'm not going to a party tonight because I'm scared of being nervous there and then having a bad mood afterwards. :( On the plus side, I did hang out with someone else today and don't feel too bad about it. Anyway, you're not alone, and Emiliana's right about books! And movies, too!
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

Back in high school, that was always the problem for me...I thought I fit in with the group, but I still often left like I never quite meshed. It's a horrible feeling, and I'm sorry you have to deal with it :/
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

UffishThought wrote:I think it's kind of like the dating point system thing in the other thread, except friendship style. This group of people is a little bit out of my friendship league, and I can't shake the feeling that I'm not selling myself well. Soon I'll have too many marks against me and I'll have to stop trying, out of common decency. Except whenever they throw some big party, which happens fairly often, I'll do what I've done before, and wrangle some moral support and go anyway, because they're so dang fun. And I float along on a happy cloud of music and silliness and nerd culture, and then once I go home worry I was TOO silly or nerdy and oh my gosh I can't dance at all, what was I thinking, trying that in public? And then I miss out on the shooting trip I was invited to that probably would have been perfectly fine because I'm cowardly and second guessing myself.
I'm not sure if I know any of these people, but I always kind of felt that way about you, lady. You and L'Afro and Optimistic, and others. You were all way too cool for me. And you were my best friends in college. So just know that you once socially intimidated somebody else, and then picture all of the cool kids in their underwear or something.
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

For realsies, seven? I feel that way about you, too. And L'Afro. And Optimistic. And all the rest. I think I had the same reciprocal intimidation with Olympus, too.
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

Random thought:

i'm directing alice in wonderland for my school's one act play entry, and it's starts with the jabberwock poem, which always makes me think of uffish!
beautiful, dirty, rich
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

UffishThought wrote:For realsies, seven? I feel that way about you, too. And L'Afro. And Optimistic. And all the rest. I think I had the same reciprocal intimidation with Olympus, too.
Yep, that whole movie night group. Also, why did you call me seven?
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

It's a borrowed habit from an old roommate. Genuine's little sister H's best friend accidentally texted "for realsies7?" once, and they thought it was funny. So they started saying it. And then I picked it up. Like so many, many habits. I'm a quirk sponge.
Squirrel
Board Writer

Post by Squirrel »

I'm trying to think what I want on my 100 hour board shirt that I'm painting. I need Ideas, please!

my Ideas so far are:

"100 hours- 4 days 4 hours"
on the back: "Beware the tunnel worms!"
Chrysanthemum

Post by Chrysanthemum »

Haha I was sitting in an advertising meeting today thinking about how the Board should launch an advertising campaign. Then I remembered we don't have any money.
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

Went back tonight without my moral support team. Less social angst after coming home tonight. Only a few regrets. Whew.
Maybe I'm just out of social practice, and it'll come back to me. That would be nice.

This day in the life of Uffish has been brought to you by the letter C. Sorry for the play-by-play, folks.
Portia

Post by Portia »

krebscout wrote:
UffishThought wrote:I think it's kind of like the dating point system thing in the other thread, except friendship style. This group of people is a little bit out of my friendship league, and I can't shake the feeling that I'm not selling myself well. Soon I'll have too many marks against me and I'll have to stop trying, out of common decency. Except whenever they throw some big party, which happens fairly often, I'll do what I've done before, and wrangle some moral support and go anyway, because they're so dang fun. And I float along on a happy cloud of music and silliness and nerd culture, and then once I go home worry I was TOO silly or nerdy and oh my gosh I can't dance at all, what was I thinking, trying that in public? And then I miss out on the shooting trip I was invited to that probably would have been perfectly fine because I'm cowardly and second guessing myself.
I'm not sure if I know any of these people, but I always kind of felt that way about you, lady. You and L'Afro and Optimistic, and others. You were all way too cool for me. And you were my best friends in college. So just know that you once socially intimidated somebody else, and then picture all of the cool kids in their underwear or something.
Truth. I know you're cooler than me, and I certainly felt like the younger, slightly annoying sister at parties. But I don't worry too much about it, I suppose, as long as I have fun and don't commit any egregious faux pas! The chance to hang out with legends is worth feeling out of place. :)
coastal goddess liberal
Portia

Post by Portia »

Katya wrote:
Portia wrote:#sorrydescriptivists
No you're not. You love the pointless elitism of prescriptivism.
Well, won't even try to deny that one, though my snobbishness may be my least favorite thing about myself (they say that one is particularly grated by traits one, in fact, possesses.) The wicked taketh the truth to be hard...

(FWIW, my favorite thing about myself is probably my ability to stay informed on a wide range of topics, so maybe elitism is the flip-side flaw of a strength.)
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Chrysanthemum wrote:Haha I was sitting in an advertising meeting today thinking about how the Board should launch an advertising campaign. Then I remembered we don't have any money.
Back when the Board had that might-be-separating-from-BYU panic I actually started making plans for an advertising campaign. Most of it would have cost $0 and would have then generated enough income to start a couple of low-cost campaigns.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Chrysanthemum

Post by Chrysanthemum »

bobtheenchantedone wrote:
Chrysanthemum wrote:Haha I was sitting in an advertising meeting today thinking about how the Board should launch an advertising campaign. Then I remembered we don't have any money.
Back when the Board had that might-be-separating-from-BYU panic I actually started making plans for an advertising campaign. Most of it would have cost $0 and would have then generated enough income to start a couple of low-cost campaigns.
Haha well I was just thinking something that would garner readership. Maybe I'll come up with some ideas when I'm not involved with two other accounts that are draining the life out of me hahaha.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Well yes, but if you want to earn more money for the Board it would be fairly easy to also implement advertising that sold more shirts or collected some donations. Not necessary now, but it might have been then and there's still a chance that the Board will eventually have to separate from BYU. : )
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

Are you guys looking for more readers? When I was there I felt like we always had more questions than we could handle--advertising for more was the last thing on my mind.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

UffishThought wrote:Are you guys looking for more readers? When I was there I felt like we always had more questions than we could handle--advertising for more was the last thing on my mind.
Yeah, I'm thinking these people haven't lived through a Board booth.