Not Quite Doctrine

Your chance to pontificate on the subject of your choice. (Please keep it PG-rated.)
Tally M.

Not Quite Doctrine

Post by Tally M. »

It kind of bugs me when teachers in Sunday School or Relief Society use stories/quotes/poems that aren't necessarily church doctrine but then act as if they are such. Like the Footprints in the Sand poem. Great story, but not inherently doctrine.

Please tell me I'm not the only one...
yayfulness
Board Writer

Re: Not Quite Doctrine

Post by yayfulness »

Yeah, it can bug me too.
Talons

Post by Talons »

I have a problem with inspirational stories more because they claim to be real. http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/68240/
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Of course that's a pain! Especially because there's so much great stuff that is scriptural/doctrine that we could be talking about, but no, we have to have those "inspirational" stories/poems/quotes.

However, they're not quite as bad as when, in an attempt to make a complex issue simpler or make an insightful comment that everyone can relate to, someone says something that is flat out wrong. While the stories make me laugh (yes, noticeably, I'm kind of a jerk) I usually leave the room when we get into the false and/or misleading category.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

I think at least once a week I've heard an "inspirational story" that attempts to explain an inspirational concept...thing...I'm a little frustrated...
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Man, I hate pretty much anything that's presented as "inspirational."
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

It really bugs me when people who have taken a physics class once or maybe watched a PBS special about thermodynamics go on and on about what they think entropy is (and they are completely wrong) and then talk about how "the atonement overcomes entropy."
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Nice!
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

This is why I LOVE my RCIA class. we are totally based in scripture and the Catechism. The only stories are related to the saints, Jesus, or ourselves.

Best class.
beautiful, dirty, rich
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Imogen wrote:This is why I LOVE my RCIA class. we are totally based in scripture and the Catechism. The only stories are related to the saints, Jesus, or ourselves.

Best class.
Speaking of RCIA, did you pick a confirmation name?
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

Post by Laser Jock »

NerdGirl wrote:It really bugs me when people who have taken a physics class once or maybe watched a PBS special about thermodynamics go on and on about what they think entropy is (and they are completely wrong) and then talk about how "the atonement overcomes entropy."
Really? Wow. I've never heard that one, but it would bug me too. :)
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

Katya wrote:
Imogen wrote:This is why I LOVE my RCIA class. we are totally based in scripture and the Catechism. The only stories are related to the saints, Jesus, or ourselves.

Best class.

Yup! Catherine, in honor of Catherine of Siena. Everything she stood for and represents fits me perfectly.
beautiful, dirty, rich
Craig Jessop
Pulchritudinous

Post by Craig Jessop »

Imogen wrote:
Katya wrote:

Best class.

Yup! Catherine, in honor of Catherine of Siena. Everything she stood for and represents fits me perfectly.
AND you look like a Catherine. Congrats!!!!!
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

I love the name Catherine! It's almost my name. :)