Doing another job while at work...

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
blpsara

Doing another job while at work...

Post by blpsara »

I'm pretty sure I know how I feel about this situation, but I would like some feedback/other opinions just in case there are other things I should consider.

My job is extremely stressful at times, but other times, I have quite a bit of downtime. My boss is pretty cool, and doesn't care what we do in our downtime as long as we are prompt to respond if anything else comes up.

I've been able to read numerous books, play games on my phone/ipad, and index literally thousands of names while at work.

Recently my sister hired me to do some transcription work for her. Is it in any way dishonest to work on her stuff while I'm at work? I would literally be getting paid twice, in essence.

My opinion is that since my boss doesn't care what I do as long as I respond and take care of work things in a timely manner, then it's okay. (And I do. The transcription work can easily be stopped and started at any time.)

Thoughts?
Zedability

Re: Doing another job while at work...

Post by Zedability »

If your boss doesn't care, I think it's fine. If you feel uneasy about it, why not just ask him?
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

I'd second asking your boss, just to make sure, but think about it this way: your boss isn't paying you in your down time to work, rather, she is paying you in your down time to have instant access to you in case she needs you to work. As long as you are instantly available when necessary, this new arrangement doesn't pose a problem.
Deus ab veritas
blpsara

Post by blpsara »

Thanks - I did talk to her, and she is fine with it. I figured she would be, but better safe than sorry.

And Zedability, you were exactly right. It was my own uneasiness that even got me to ask the question here.

Marduk, good way to look at it. And it's how my boss sees it. As long as I get my work done, and I'm there if she needs me, she doesn't care what I do.