Dinner Group

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
C is for
um Administrator

Dinner Group

Post by C is for »

I like stressing about things beyond their real impact on my life. Today I'm stressing about dinner group.

I'm cooking for it tomorrow. I find that stressful. Anyone have good tried-and-true recipes for dinner group?

But not only that, I think I found a recipe I like, for chicken taco casserole. I like the casseroles. HERE'S THE PROBLEM THO

Last Tuesday we had chicken chili. Is that too close to exactly the same meal??

What am I going to do??? I was going to go shopping on my way home from work but for various reasons I will wait so you can all chime in with your excellent advice.
UffishThought

Re: Dinner Group

Post by UffishThought »

They're different enough, and it sounds wonderful. Go for it.
Squirrel
Board Writer

Post by Squirrel »

I think there's been enough time between the chili and the casserole that nobody will notice- and it's a solid, not a liquid. And, your casserole will taste wonderful!

you asked for dinner group ideas- sure, here you go. But make your casserole- it will be awesome.

Hawiian Haystacks (I either use this kind of gravy (it was made with pork chops that had been in the crock pot for 14 hours. it was deeelicious!!!!) or cream of chicken soup)
spaghetti
meat and baked potatoes
potato soup (add your own toppings and spices- buffet style)
potato wedges
tater tots
anything potato
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

I often make big sandwiches to feed a crowd (like Subway, on french bread loaves), or pot pie, or sometimes I do some crock-pot pulled-beef wraps.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

I like Squirrel's suggestions because a lot of them are customizable. I always like things like taco stack-ups for that reason. Beans, taco meat, lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, sour cream, cheese, etc., and everyone picks what they like and leaves out what they don't.

Also, C, people are just happy to be fed! No stressing for you!
Eirene
Board Writer

Post by Eirene »

I almost always do baked ziti, some kind of zucchini pasta (either this one or this one), or enchilada pie.

But I also think your casserole option is different enough from a chili/stew that even if the flavors/ingredients overlap, nobody will think twice about it.
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

Hooray you guys are the best!

Also I'm especially glad I waited to go shopping because there is currently a downpour outside. It's spring, it'll pass soon, right?

I did baked ziti last time and it was great. My favourite thing about casseroles like that is I don't end up with leftover half cans of things to try to fit in the fridge and/or use.
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

Also I should note that D5 gave me the exact same advice and I didn't trust her.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

I don't know what chicken taco casserole is.

Also, I'm a little shocked that people have trouble making gravy. That's like, the easiest thing in the world to make.

C4, if it makes you feel any better, most college-age people have trouble telling the difference between a gourmet meal and ramen noodles, so I think as long as you put something edible in front of them it'll be ok.
Deus ab veritas
Squirrel
Board Writer

Post by Squirrel »

Marduk wrote:Also, I'm a little shocked that people have trouble making gravy. That's like, the easiest thing in the world to make.
Hey- Don't be hatin' on the peeps in the world that don't know how to make gravy.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

I'm just a little shocked, is all. Next thing you know, they'll be needing tutorials on how to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
Deus ab veritas
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Squirrel wrote:I think there's been enough time between the chili and the casserole that nobody will notice . . .
I agree. They're a week apart, so it's not really a big deal.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

Marduk wrote:I'm just a little shocked, is all. Next thing you know, they'll be needing tutorials on how to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
I'm actually a bit shocked by it too, considering the fact that I never have a problem making gravy and I can't even eat wheat flour. I think people are just scared of it and think it's going to be hard. But it's not!
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

It was never really a part of my family's diet, except on Thanksgiving. I can do all right if I have turkey drippings, but that's not an ingredient I usually have, and I don't know how to make it without.
NerdGirl

Post by NerdGirl »

My general gravy-making strategy (or cheese-sauce thickening or stew-thickening strategy) is to just sprinkle in a couple tablespoons of sweet rice flour, stir it in, bring it to a boil, and see if it thickens enough. If not, add more sweet rice flour. I used to use cornstarch but I like this way better because you don't have to mix it with water.
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

So no fat or meat-flavor at all? Huh.
NerdGirl

Post by NerdGirl »

Oh, there's definitely fat and meat drippings in there. I just add some liquid (broth, wine, whatever's around, water if there's nothing more exciting) to whatever meat drippings there are and then sprinkle in the sweet rice flour.
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

Marduk wrote:I'm just a little shocked, is all. Next thing you know, they'll be needing tutorials on how to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
Fact: one of my old professors taught the class how to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Yeah, it is an old technical writing class trope.
Deus ab veritas
Squirrel
Board Writer

Post by Squirrel »

bahahahaha! it's happened already!! remember this, guys? :-D

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/69193/