Russian question

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Russian question

Post by Katya »

So, I was talking with a friend about how the word Ukraine is related to the Russian word край, meaning "edge or rim" (since Ukraine is on the edge of Russia), and he wondered if Russian speakers (or Ukrainian speakers) ever make a joke or pun out of the word, like, "those edgy Ukrainians," (although the word "edgy" probably doesn't directly translate). So, Russian-speaking (or married to Russian-speaking) friends, can you answer his question?
Yarjka

Re: Russian question

Post by Yarjka »

Край, while literally meaning "edge," also means "country" or "land" in poetic and archaic usage. Currently, it is also the official designation for a "province," with no bearing on it being on the edge. In Ukrainian, the common word for "country" is країна.

See here for a fairly good summary.

I think the word "territory" in English would be similar.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Okay, I just now asked Mr. Mico. He was all flustered and, like, "that's just the name of the country!" So then I asked him straight-up, "well do people ever make jokes/puns out of the name?" To which he replied without hesitation, "no." So, that's at least one Russian's experience. Also, I asked him what kinds of things Ukrainians are made fun of for and it is apparently for their "funny sounding [to Russians]" language. Sorry, Yarjka, and the Ukranians.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Just don't call the Ukraine weak while you're playing Risk on the subway.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Interesting! Thanks for the responses, all.
OptimusPrime

Post by OptimusPrime »

For a secondary perspective, in Czech, "kraj" also means region/county/locality, and "krajina" means country as in countryside. I always interpreted Ukrajina (Ukraine) to be a combination of the preposition "u", meaning roughly "at", and "krajina" to make make something like "at where the countryside starts" (although if declined properly would be "u krajiny"). For the record, Czechs don't normally use the word "kraj" to mean "edge", instead using "okraj" or "hrana".

On a related note, while a learning a slavic language it was fun to gain insight into names/words I had previously known but not understood, like Chernobyl (černý is black, bílý is white, or byl is the 3rd sing. masc. past tense of "to be" (never did figure that one all the way out)), Belarus (White Rus(sia)), Stalin/Leningrad (hrad is castle (Russian Gs become Hs in Czech)) and many more.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

OptimusPrime wrote:For a secondary perspective, in Czech, "kraj" also means region/county/locality, and "krajina" means country as in countryside. I always interpreted Ukrajina (Ukraine) to be a combination of the preposition "u", meaning roughly "at", and "krajina" to make make something like "at where the countryside starts" (although if declined properly would be "u krajiny"). For the record, Czechs don't normally use the word "kraj" to mean "edge", instead using "okraj" or "hrana".

On a related note, while a learning a slavic language it was fun to gain insight into names/words I had previously known but not understood, like Chernobyl (černý is black, bílý is white, or byl is the 3rd sing. masc. past tense of "to be" (never did figure that one all the way out)), Belarus (White Rus(sia)), Stalin/Leningrad (hrad is castle (Russian Gs become Hs in Czech)) and many more.
Okay, this is a super random question, but do you know why (or have a theory as to why) "Czech" is spelled with a "Cz" in English? We have "Ch" in words like "church," and in Russian it is spelled with the letter corresponding to "ch."
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

mic0 wrote:
OptimusPrime wrote:For a secondary perspective, in Czech, "kraj" also means region/county/locality, and "krajina" means country as in countryside. I always interpreted Ukrajina (Ukraine) to be a combination of the preposition "u", meaning roughly "at", and "krajina" to make make something like "at where the countryside starts" (although if declined properly would be "u krajiny"). For the record, Czechs don't normally use the word "kraj" to mean "edge", instead using "okraj" or "hrana".

Okay, this is a super random question, but do you know why (or have a theory as to why) "Czech" is spelled with a "Cz" in English? We have "Ch" in words like "church," and in Russian it is spelled with the letter corresponding to "ch."
According to the OED, it's the Polish spelling. Earlier spellings include Tschechi (1841), Tshekh (1850), and Tsekh (1879).

So, when in doubt, borrow from Polish. :D
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

OptimusPrime wrote:Chernobyl (černý is black, bílý is white, or byl is the 3rd sing. masc. past tense of "to be" (never did figure that one all the way out))
Actually, it's neither "white" nor "to be", but rather "stalk" (byllia in Ukrainian; bylinka in Russian). Chernobyl' literally means "black stalk", but is also the common name for a particular plant (called mugwort in English).
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

Katya wrote:
mic0 wrote:Okay, this is a super random question, but do you know why (or have a theory as to why) "Czech" is spelled with a "Cz" in English? We have "Ch" in words like "church," and in Russian it is spelled with the letter corresponding to "ch."
According to the OED, it's the Polish spelling. Earlier spellings include Tschechi (1841), Tshekh (1850), and Tsekh (1879).

Of some connection to this: compare the English spelling of Anton Chekhov with the Polish spelling of Anton Czechow. There you see how the 'cz' makes the 'ch' sound, and the 'ch' makes the 'kh' sound (but English speakers tend to just do a 'k' sound since we don't like to irritate our throats).
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Yarjka wrote:
Katya wrote:
mic0 wrote:Okay, this is a super random question, but do you know why (or have a theory as to why) "Czech" is spelled with a "Cz" in English? We have "Ch" in words like "church," and in Russian it is spelled with the letter corresponding to "ch."

Of some connection to this: compare the English spelling of Anton Chekhov with the Polish spelling of Anton Czechow. There you see how the 'cz' makes the 'ch' sound, and the 'ch' makes the 'kh' sound (but English speakers tend to just do a 'k' sound since we don't like to irritate our throats).
Ahhhh-hah! So in Polish they have an orthographic distinction between "cz" and "ch." Interesting. Thanks both of you. Also, Yarjka, I think "since we don't like to irritate our throats" is my new favorite justification for why languages have different sounds.
OptimusPrime

Post by OptimusPrime »

Yarjka wrote:Actually, it's neither "white" nor "to be", but rather "stalk" (byllia in Ukrainian; bylinka in Russian). Chernobyl' literally means "black stalk", but is also the common name for a particular plant (called mugwort in English).
Ah, interesting, thanks for clearing that up. Bylina and bylinka (diminutive) are also used in Czech for "plant" or "herb", but I never made that connection before, even after lots of cups of bylinkový čaj.
Yarjka wrote:Of some connection to this: compare the English spelling of Anton Chekhov with the Polish spelling of Anton Czechow. There you see how the 'cz' makes the 'ch' sound, and the 'ch' makes the 'kh' sound (but English speakers tend to just do a 'k' sound since we don't like to irritate our throats).
Yeah the spelling of many Czech names in English is irregular due to language transfers. Prague in Czech is "Praha" ("Praga" in most other Slavic languages). Czech has a much more efficient writing system than Polish, but harder for keyboards. Instead of digraphs they use diacritics, for instance, the English "ch" sound is made with č in Czech, but cz in Polish. Same for š (sz) and probably ž and ř (although the Poles don't pronounce this correctly like the Czechs still do). You'll see lots of American names with these diacritics dropped off, like Cerny (Černý, or "black") or Kuchar (Kuchář, or "cook") that people say completely wrong.

Anyway, what this means is that "Czech" in Czech would be "Čech", where "ch" is the only Czech digraph, corresponding to the "kh" or Cyrillic "х" (and if it's irritating your throat, you're doing it wrong, it should be like making a wind sound.) Basically it's just another sign that the Slavs got to writing down their language too late and never unified on even a character set, much less a common spelling.
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

OptimusPrime wrote:if it's irritating your throat, you're doing it wrong, it should be like making a wind sound.
Nah, you've just built up an immunity.
Portia

Post by Portia »

#resurrectinglentthreads

I always struggled with the pronunciation of Franz Liszt for similar reasons. It LOOKS like it wants to be Lisht. If it's List, spell it List!
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

I pronounce it "Fliszt."
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

Portia wrote:#resurrectinglentthreads

I always struggled with the pronunciation of Franz Liszt for similar reasons. It LOOKS like it wants to be Lisht. If it's List, spell it List!
Hungarian orthography is a bit bizarre. The 's' symbol stands for the 'sh' sound, and the 'sz' symbol stands for the 's' sound. Confusing? Yes. But loads of fun.

Any mention of Hungarian makes me think of Monty Python.
Digit

Post by Digit »

My calculus III professor's name was Przemyslaw Bogacki. He said he'd just go by Doctor B.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

Digit wrote:My calculus III professor's name was Przemyslaw Bogacki. He said he'd just go by Doctor B.
Reminds me of Louis Szekely, who decided to go by Louis C.K. to make it easier for everyone. (Again, Hungarian: 'sz' = 's', 'ly' = 'y' ... crazy Hungarians).
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Yarjka wrote:
Digit wrote:My calculus III professor's name was Przemyslaw Bogacki. He said he'd just go by Doctor B.
Reminds me of Louis Szekely, who decided to go by Louis C.K. to make it easier for everyone. (Again, Hungarian: 'sz' = 's', 'ly' = 'y' ... crazy Hungarians).
Oh, but the "ly" = "y" bit isn't too bad if you've studied Russian, because the "y" acts like a soft sign, so the "l" is just super-palatalized into sounding like a "y."